NEITHER HERE NOR THERE by BRYSON

NEITHER HERE NOR THERE (original 1992; edition 1992)

by BRYSON

Member:madeleinescott
Title:NEITHER HERE NOR THERE
Authors:BRYSON
Info:MINERVA (1992), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Non-fiction

Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson (1992)

English (79)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  English (82)
I am a Bill Bryson fan, and since I've traveled to a number of cities in Europe, I thought it might be interesting to see his observations. The key for me with Bryson is that he is so honest about his experiences. I have traveled enough to know that it is all at once delightful and sheer misery. Some places are wonderful, some depressing. So when Bryson talks about his experiences traveling alone, I can really relate. He always makes me laugh, sometimes out loud. His travel books are perfect for times in your life when you can't travel, but would love to escape for a while. I found the book delightful. ( )
  peggybr | Oct 10, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
For a book about a road trip in the 2016 Reading Challenge, I chose a road trip in Europe.
Synopsis: Bill travels around Europe recreating a trip he took in his early 20s. He writes about his experiences and reminisces about his earlier trip.
Review: This was in interesting book to read since I'd been to many of the places he visited. The book was fun in that the author related some highly entertaining events while commenting on the culture of a particular country. Even though it's a bit dated, it's got good information about traveling in Europe. ( )
  DrLed | Jun 11, 2016 |
I generally don't rate books unless I finish them, but after reading other reviews I do believe I got far enough in to be able to judge this. Here's Bryson wittily whining again - sharing little bits of interesting insights into bits of Europe amongst lots of boring stuff about him and his inability to admit he'd have a lot less to whine about if he planned ahead just a little bit. A line of Americans for the Louvre!? Really?! Who'd've thunk!! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Rinaldi, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogde, IsakTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"William James describes a man who got the experience from laughing-gas; whenever he was under its influence, he knew the secret of the universe, but when he came to, he had forgotten it. At last, with immense effort, he wrote down the secret before the vision had faded. When completely recovered, he rushed to see what he had written. It was 'A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.'" [Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy]
to Cynthia
In winter Hammerfest is a thirty-hour ride by bus from Oslo, though why anyone would want to go there in winter is a question worth considering.
"We used to build civilizations.  Now we build shopping malls."
"I had a hangover you could sell to science..."

Like many of his generation, Bill Bryson backpacked across Europe in the early seventies -- in search of enlightenment, beer, and women. Twenty years later he decided to retrace the journey he undertook in the halcyon days of his youth. The result is Neither Here Nor There, an affectionate and riotously funny pilgrimage from the frozen wastes of Scandinavia to the chaotic tumult of Istanbul, with stops along the way in Europe's most diverting and historic locales. Like many of his generation, Bill Bryson backpacked across Europe in the early seventies--in search of enlightenment, beer, and women. Twenty years later he decided to retrace the journey he undertook in the halcyon days of his youth. The result is Neither Here Nor There, an affectionate and riotously funny pilgrimage from the frozen wastes of Scandinavia to the chaotic tumult of Istanbul, with stops along the way in Europe's most diverting and historic locales.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:04 -0400)

Bill Bryon backpacks across Europe, retracing the same steps he took 30 years earlier.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible