Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo

Nobody's Fool (1993)

by Richard Russo

1,395None5,478 (4.18)56

I decided to try this book when I read the synopsis and it mentioned slyly funny. I love a book that can make you laugh even under the saddest circumstances. Richard Russo does just that in Nobody's Fool. Poor Sully, the main character, can't catch a break in life; although, truth be told, he never tried very hard. He shuffles along on his bad knee attempting to make a living, deal with family, and solve his love life. Things keep falling apart on him, but through it all, he has a good heart that shines through. ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 25, 2014 |
One of my favorite bits of this book was the repeated use of the phrase, "star of my firmament." ( )
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
Richard Russo has such a fluid style, and his characters are so believable (to me, anyway). I like how Russo takes what could be "type" characters and makes them multi-dimensional. Nobody's Fool doesn't have a complicated plot--it doesn't knock your socks off the way Empire Falls does, but it's a good read. ( )
  tercat | Nov 19, 2013 |
How did I ever get to the age of 64 without encountering the novels of Richard Russo? I'd seen them on the bookshelves, but there's LOTS of books on the shelves.
NOBODY'S FOOL seems to be a typical Russo novel. Incredibly vivid characters whom the reader comes to more deeply appreciate as the pages turn. And the occasional absolutely hilarious incident.
Highly recommended for all ages. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Nov 18, 2013 |
For Jean Levarn Findlay
Upper Main Street in the village of North Bath, just above the town's two-block-long business district, was quietly residential for three more blocks, then became even more quietly rural along old Route 27A, a serpentine two-lane blacktop that snaked its way through the Adirondacks of northern New York, with their tiny, down-at-the-heels resort towns, all the way to Montreal and prosperity.

This is my favorite book of all time. Sully walks off the page and into your heart. Give in.

In his slyly funny and moving new novel, the author of The Risk Pool follows the unexpected operation of grace in a deadbeat, upstate New York town--and in the lives of the unluckiest of its citizens. Soon to be a major motion picture starring Paul Newman, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith, and Jessica Tandy. Author reading tour.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:06 -0400)

An unlucky man in a deadbeat town in upstate New York, Sully must overcome numerous obstacles--a bum knee, terminal underemployment, and a not-too-helpful group of friends--as he copes with a new problem, his long-estranged son.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible