Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Norwegian Wood (1987)

by Haruki Murakami

12,201270318 (3.97)4 / 449
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (philrafferty)
    philrafferty: Murakami's masterwork.
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (hippietrail, Jannes)
    Jannes: Many interesting parallells, and the protagonist of Norwegian Wood compares himself with Holden Caulfield from Catcher on several occations.
    1Q84 Book 1 by Haruki Murakami (jalonsoarevalo)
    jalonsoarevalo: MAravillosa recreación tomando como letmotiv el libro de Orwell 1984
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (ursula)
    ursula: Murakami is influenced by Brautigan. Both are simple but weird tales of love and life.
    Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Lex23)
    Lex23: Both books beautifully describe a difficult relationship between a man and a woman with a psychiatric background
    Socrates In Love: Novel (Socrates in Love) by Kyoichi Katayama (alalba)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (PaulBerauer)
    Who is Mr Satoshi? by Jonathan Lee (alzo)

English (210)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (16)  Italian (6)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (2)  Korean (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (270)
Edición especial 50.º aniversario Tusquets Editores.La obra más exitosa de Haruki Murakami. Un conmovedora historia sobre la juventud, los primeros amores y el dolor que implica el paso a la madurez.Mientras aterriza en un aeropuerto europeo, Toru Watanabe, un ejecutivo de 37 años, escucha una vieja canción de los Beatles que le hace retroceder a su juventud, al turbulento Tokio de los años sesenta. Con una mezcla de melancolía y desasosiego, Toru recuerda entonces a la inestable y misteriosa Naoko, la novia de su mejor y único amigo de la adolescencia, Kizuki. El suicidio de éste distanció a Toru y a Naoko durante un año, hasta que se reencontraron e iniciaron una relación íntima. Sin embargo, la aparición de otra mujer en la vida de Toru le lleva a experimentar el deslumbramiento y el desengaño allí donde todo debería cobrar sentido: el sexo, el amor y la muerte. Y ningún de los personajes parece capaz de alcanzar el frágil equilibrio entre las esperanzas juveniles y la necesidad de encontrar un lugar en el mundo.Esta edición especial conmemora el 50.º aniversario de Tusquets Editores
  Haijavivi | Jun 3, 2019 |
Sad, lyrical, lonely; beautiful and atmospherical. Murakami has a special talent to draw you into intimate details of a scene, a conversation, everyday vignettes of life. His characters do not belong; teeter between sanity and mental illness; between life and death. Some cannot move on; the rest is left with grief and aching love. Beautiful, hopeless yet hopeful, honest, sexually liberated, but emotionally bound. Not sure that I love it or not - unique and mesmerizing, but also too sad to want to visit his world for too long. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
I realize Murakami is a big name, but I was bored out of my skull with this one. The novel lacks any kind of plot. In its place, Murakami indulges in what can be described as the art of people watching. Which would be perfectly fine, if it wasn't for the fact that the people he's watching are oh so completely boring.

We can start with a wet blanket of the main character, an 18 year old Tokyo college student, who apparently has very little in the way of personality and convictions himself, but is quick to notice other people's idiosyncrasies. He then repeats these to his friends in order to gain some popularity, but that's all that's interesting about this guy.

With a rare exception (in fact there may really be just the one), all the other characters are upper middle-class Japanese students, who, for some reason, are all completely depressed, suffering from ennui and committing suicide or getting themselves committed to mental institutions all over the book, without it really being clear why (at least to me). Of course, it might just be the inability to deal with the tightly-wound Japanese society and I don't blame them for that, in fact, I admire the courage of anyone brave enough to attempt suicide. However, it does seem weird to me that the reasoning for all this depression of reasonably well-off Japanese kids is entirely absent from the book.

At the center of all this is a slightly unusual love story between the main character Watanabe and the former girlfriend of his best friend, who, once again, committed suicide. Yes, by unusual I mean a bit creepy - the parts that weren't completely boring anyway.

So what's left is a look into the Japanese society of the late sixties and early seventies, which is the only part of the novel I really found interesting. Oh well, not even masters can get them all. ( )
1 vote matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
This story made me cry and drop the book while I was reading it in public. ( )
  MrAgingNova | Nov 13, 2018 |
As a reader of just about everything that Murakami has written, I was stunned that I had skipped over this great novel from early in his career. This novel is unique in that it has a straightforward storyline and doesn't shoot off into some unexpected direction and dimension. Without those distractions, he was left creating some very nice work involving some well-drawn characters. ( )
  jphamilton | Nov 2, 2018 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elbrich FennemaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolla, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Many Fêtes
I was 37 then, strapped in my seat as the huge 747 plunged through dense cloud cover on approach to Hamburg airport.
Eu tinha trinta e sete anos e viajava, de cinto posto, no meu lugar enquanto o enorme 747 mergulhava através de uma densa cobertura de nuvens a aproximar-se do aeroporto de Hamburgo.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375704027, Paperback)

In 1987, when Norwegian Wood was first published in Japan, it promptly sold more than 4 million copies and transformed Haruki Murakami into a pop-culture icon. The horrified author fled his native land for Europe and the United States, returning only in 1995, by which time the celebrity spotlight had found some fresher targets. And now he's finally authorized a translation for the English-speaking audience, turning to the estimable Jay Rubin, who did a fine job with his big-canvas production The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Readers of Murakami's later work will discover an affecting if atypical novel, and while the author himself has denied the book's autobiographical import--"If I had simply written the literal truth of my own life, the novel would have been no more than fifteen pages long"--it's hard not to read as at least a partial portrait of the artist as a young man.

Norwegian Wood is a simple coming-of-age tale, primarily set in 1969-70, when the author was attending university. The political upheavals and student strikes of the period form the novel's backdrop. But the focus here is the young Watanabe's love affairs, and the pain and pleasure and attendant losses of growing up. The collapse of a romance (and this is one among many!) leaves him in a metaphysical shambles:

I read Naoko's letter again and again, and each time I read it I would be filled with the same unbearable sadness I used to feel whenever Naoko stared into my eyes. I had no way to deal with it, no place I could take it to or hide it away. Like the wind passing over my body, it had neither shape nor weight, nor could I wrap myself in it.
This account of a young man's sentimental education sometimes reads like a cross between Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and Stephen Vizinczey's In Praise of Older Women. It is less complex and perhaps ultimately less satisfying than Murakami's other, more allegorical work. Still, Norwegian Wood captures the huge expectation of youth--and of this particular time in history--for the future and for the place of love in it. It is also a work saturated with sadness, an emotion that can sometimes cripple a novel but which here merely underscores its youthful poignancy. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:09 -0400)

This stunning and elegiac novel by the author of the internationally acclaimed Wind-Up Bird Chronicle has sold over 4 million copies in Japan and is now available to American audiences for the first time. It is sure to be a literary event. Toru, a quiet and preternaturally serious young college student in Tokyo, is devoted to Naoko, a beautiful and introspective young woman, but their mutual passion is marked by the tragic death of their best friend years before. Toru begins to adapt to campus life and the loneliness and isolation he faces there, but Naoko finds the pressures and responsibilities of life unbearable. As she retreats further into her own world, Toru finds himself reaching out to others and drawn to a fiercely independent and sexually liberated young woman."-- Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible