Norwegian wood by Haruki Murakami

Norwegian wood (1987)

by Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin (Translator)

10,962239257 (3.98)4 / 388
Title:Norwegian wood
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Other authors:Jay Rubin (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam : Rubinstein; 10 compact discs (12 uur en 45 min.); http://picarta.pica.nl/DB=2.4/PPN?PPN=330751662
Collections:Your library, Gelezen in 2012, Romans

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (1987)

Recently added byprivate library, Bokayokay, e-zReader, Argenta_Library, Owlsla, OneOfDem, aktgw
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (philrafferty)
    philrafferty: Murakami's masterwork.
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (hippietrail, Jannes)
    Jannes: Many interesting parallells, and the protagonist of Norwegian Wood compares himself with Holden Caulfield from Catcher on several occations.
    1Q84 Book 1 by Haruki Murakami (jalonsoarevalo)
    jalonsoarevalo: MAravillosa recreación tomando como letmotiv el libro de Orwell 1984
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (ursula)
    ursula: Murakami is influenced by Brautigan. Both are simple but weird tales of love and life.
    Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Lex23)
    Lex23: Both books beautifully describe a difficult relationship between a man and a woman with a psychiatric background
    Socrates In Love by Kyoichi Katayama (alalba)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (Kordo)
    Who is Mr Satoshi? by Jonathan Lee (alzo)

English (182)  Dutch (17)  Spanish (16)  Swedish (4)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Korean (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (239)
What a sad story! ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 3, 2016 |
Norwegian Wood was just the kind of novel I needed right now. As usual, Murakami's prose is beautiful, but as his most "mainstream" novel, the plot was straightforward and lacked the usual philosophical bends. I'm dying to get my hands on the film adaptation now. ( )
  PagesandPints | Sep 1, 2016 |
god dang this book is good. it's like the corrections but whittled down. there is something about murakami. he takes me to another world and there is so much in between the lines. so much tension. i'm going to go read this again right now! ( )
  Joseph_W_Naus | Jul 20, 2016 |
Just finished so I'm kind of a mess. Just as affecting and beautifully written as [b:South of the Border, West of the Sun|17799|South of the Border, West of the Sun|Haruki Murakami|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1443685506s/17799.jpg|1739145], but somehow much less defined conceptually. I think it suffers a little in comparison to Murakami's other plain-love-story because of that. The only way I can think of this book, having just finished it, is as a moody, tangled labyrinth of life and death. The subject matter was mostly horrible for where I am right now, and the deaths hit me forcefully, yet I couldn't put it down. ( )
  chronoceros | Jul 15, 2016 |
'We're all kind of weird and twisted and drowning,, 2 April 2014
sally tarbox

This review is from: Norwegian Wood (Paperback)
A melancholy story set in 1960s Japan. When 17 year old Kizuki commits suicide, the effects on his girlfriend and on his best friend (Toru - the narrator) are long-lasting. The two become involved in a difficult and unsatisfactory relationship; meanwhile Toro is a solitary figure at university, until he meets a kooky and outspoken girl, Midori.
I found this a strange, depressing but highly readable novel, although with a slightly fatuous incident just before the end. But the impression of loneliness and gloom is beautifully drawn. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrich FennemaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolla, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Many Fêtes
I was 37 then, strapped in my seat as the huge 747 plunged through dense cloud cover on approach to Hamburg airport.
Eu tinha trinta e sete anos e viajava, de cinto posto, no meu lugar enquanto o enorme 747 mergulhava através de uma densa cobertura de nuvens a aproximar-se do aeroporto de Hamburgo.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375704027, Paperback)

In 1987, when Norwegian Wood was first published in Japan, it promptly sold more than 4 million copies and transformed Haruki Murakami into a pop-culture icon. The horrified author fled his native land for Europe and the United States, returning only in 1995, by which time the celebrity spotlight had found some fresher targets. And now he's finally authorized a translation for the English-speaking audience, turning to the estimable Jay Rubin, who did a fine job with his big-canvas production The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Readers of Murakami's later work will discover an affecting if atypical novel, and while the author himself has denied the book's autobiographical import--"If I had simply written the literal truth of my own life, the novel would have been no more than fifteen pages long"--it's hard not to read as at least a partial portrait of the artist as a young man.

Norwegian Wood is a simple coming-of-age tale, primarily set in 1969-70, when the author was attending university. The political upheavals and student strikes of the period form the novel's backdrop. But the focus here is the young Watanabe's love affairs, and the pain and pleasure and attendant losses of growing up. The collapse of a romance (and this is one among many!) leaves him in a metaphysical shambles:

I read Naoko's letter again and again, and each time I read it I would be filled with the same unbearable sadness I used to feel whenever Naoko stared into my eyes. I had no way to deal with it, no place I could take it to or hide it away. Like the wind passing over my body, it had neither shape nor weight, nor could I wrap myself in it.
This account of a young man's sentimental education sometimes reads like a cross between Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and Stephen Vizinczey's In Praise of Older Women. It is less complex and perhaps ultimately less satisfying than Murakami's other, more allegorical work. Still, Norwegian Wood captures the huge expectation of youth--and of this particular time in history--for the future and for the place of love in it. It is also a work saturated with sadness, an emotion that can sometimes cripple a novel but which here merely underscores its youthful poignancy. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:09 -0400)

This stunning and elegiac novel by the author of the internationally acclaimed Wind-Up Bird Chronicle has sold over 4 million copies in Japan and is now available to American audiences for the first time. It is sure to be a literary event. Toru, a quiet and preternaturally serious young college student in Tokyo, is devoted to Naoko, a beautiful and introspective young woman, but their mutual passion is marked by the tragic death of their best friend years before. Toru begins to adapt to campus life and the loneliness and isolation he faces there, but Naoko finds the pressures and responsibilities of life unbearable. As she retreats further into her own world, Toru finds himself reaching out to others and drawn to a fiercely independent and sexually liberated young woman."-- Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,828,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible