Norwegian wood by Haruki Murakami

Norwegian wood (1987)

by Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin (Translator)

10,082218283 (4)4 / 349
Member:funkturm1969
Title:Norwegian wood
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Other authors:Jay Rubin (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam : Rubinstein; 10 compact discs (12 uur en 45 min.); http://picarta.pica.nl/DB=2.4/PPN?PPN=330751662
Collections:Your library, Gelezen in 2012, Romans
Rating:****1/2

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (1987)

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (philrafferty)
    philrafferty: Murakami's masterwork.
    1Q84 Book 1 by Haruki Murakami (jalonsoarevalo)
    jalonsoarevalo: MAravillosa recreación tomando como letmotiv el libro de Orwell 1984
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (hippietrail, Jannes)
    Jannes: Many interesting parallells, and the protagonist of Norwegian Wood compares himself with Holden Caulfield from Catcher on several occations.
    Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Lex23)
    Lex23: Both books beautifully describe a difficult relationship between a man and a woman with a psychiatric background
    Socrates In Love by Kyoichi Katayama (alalba)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (Kordo)
    Who is Mr Satoshi? by Jonathan Lee (alzo)

English (163)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (15)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (4)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Hungarian (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (218)
Come un sasso piatto che salta sull'acqua di un lago, così M. scivola sulle vite di questi ragazzi giapponesi, e delle loro famiglie, e lascia intravedere, nel momento in cui il sasso sfiora l'acqua, la profondità e il grigiore dei loro malesseri, delle domeniche tristi, delle serate paniche.
A differenza del sasso, che prima o poi farà l'ultimo balzo, il libro di M. mantiene indefinitamente la leggerezza del volo e si mantiene alto sulle acque scure, sparendosene chissà dove, terminata l'ultima pagina.Gran bel sito personale
http://tinyurl.com/kkg7r ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Kirjassa japanilainen teatteritieteen opiskelija menettää parhaan ystävänsä, kun tämä tappaa yllättäen itsensä. Parhaan ystävän tyttöystävä Naokon ja päähenkilön välille syntyy erikoinen suhde, kun surun jakamisesta syntyy jotakin rakkaustarinaa muistuttavaa. Naoko voi kuitenkin huonosti ja joutuu muuttamaan kauas vuorelle sijaitsevaan parantolaan. Sillä aikaa päähenkilö tutustuu Midoriin, välittömään opiskelijatyttöön, joka ymmärtää paremmin kuin kukaan. Katkeransuloinen tarina rakkauden etsimisestä, kaipauksesta ja surusta. Romaanissa on vaikutteita mm. Fitzgeraldin Kultahattu-romaanista ja Thomas Mannin Ihmevuoresta, jotka molemmat mainitaan päähenkilön lukemina kirjassa. Kirjan nimen mukaisesti romaanissa myös Norwegian Wood -kappaleella ja musiikilla on teoksessa tärkeä osa. ( )
  KafkaRannalla | Nov 30, 2014 |
This book made me cry. ( )
  rockinghorsedreams | Nov 13, 2014 |
This is the book which put Murakami on the literary map, so to speak. Definitely not as strong as his later work, Norwegian Wood almost seems a rough draft of Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki. Many, and by many I mean all, of the same themes are covered here. Suicide, disconnected young man, mental health, unengaging sex; it's all there.

I might have loved this one more if I had started with it instead of after the quake, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki which are all much more sophisticated. ( )
  AuntieClio | Nov 1, 2014 |
A fairly tedious and plodding account of a young man's student days. This story does not contain the surreal twists and unexpected moments that I like about Murakami's other works. It does, however contain some familiar characters, attractive but enigmatic women, and directionless young men. The musical name-dropping is there in abundance, even in the title. A cynic might see this as a cheap way to latch onto our love of popular culture, though a kinder view might be that it just demonstrates the author's pure love of music.

The first Murakami book I read was "After Dark" which I thought was a real knockout. In comparison this one was a bit of a disappointment. The characters are not really fleshed out enough, their lives aimless, their deaths unexplained and meaningless. In some books, a bleak situation can lead to ironic humour or philosophical speculation, in this story, for me, there is a lack of depth. ( )
  Estramir | Sep 26, 2014 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrich FennemaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolla, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Many Fêtes
I was 37 then, strapped in my seat as the huge 747 plunged through dense cloud cover on approach to Hamburg airport.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375704027, Paperback)

In 1987, when Norwegian Wood was first published in Japan, it promptly sold more than 4 million copies and transformed Haruki Murakami into a pop-culture icon. The horrified author fled his native land for Europe and the United States, returning only in 1995, by which time the celebrity spotlight had found some fresher targets. And now he's finally authorized a translation for the English-speaking audience, turning to the estimable Jay Rubin, who did a fine job with his big-canvas production The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Readers of Murakami's later work will discover an affecting if atypical novel, and while the author himself has denied the book's autobiographical import--"If I had simply written the literal truth of my own life, the novel would have been no more than fifteen pages long"--it's hard not to read as at least a partial portrait of the artist as a young man.

Norwegian Wood is a simple coming-of-age tale, primarily set in 1969-70, when the author was attending university. The political upheavals and student strikes of the period form the novel's backdrop. But the focus here is the young Watanabe's love affairs, and the pain and pleasure and attendant losses of growing up. The collapse of a romance (and this is one among many!) leaves him in a metaphysical shambles:

I read Naoko's letter again and again, and each time I read it I would be filled with the same unbearable sadness I used to feel whenever Naoko stared into my eyes. I had no way to deal with it, no place I could take it to or hide it away. Like the wind passing over my body, it had neither shape nor weight, nor could I wrap myself in it.
This account of a young man's sentimental education sometimes reads like a cross between Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and Stephen Vizinczey's In Praise of Older Women. It is less complex and perhaps ultimately less satisfying than Murakami's other, more allegorical work. Still, Norwegian Wood captures the huge expectation of youth--and of this particular time in history--for the future and for the place of love in it. It is also a work saturated with sadness, an emotion that can sometimes cripple a novel but which here merely underscores its youthful poignancy. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:52 -0400)

This stunning and elegiac novel by the author of the internationally acclaimed Wind-Up Bird Chronicle has sold over 4 million copies in Japan and is now available to American audiences for the first time. It is sure to be a literary event. Toru, a quiet and preternaturally serious young college student in Tokyo, is devoted to Naoko, a beautiful and introspective young woman, but their mutual passion is marked by the tragic death of their best friend years before. Toru begins to adapt to campus life and the loneliness and isolation he faces there, but Naoko finds the pressures and responsibilities of life unbearable. As she retreats further into her own world, Toru finds himself reaching out to others and drawn to a fiercely independent and sexually liberated young woman."-- Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,375,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible