Storm from the shadows by David Weber

Storm from the shadows (original 2009; edition 2009)

by David Weber

Member:joykenn
Title:Storm from the shadows
Authors:David Weber
Info:New York, NY : Distributed by Simon & Schuster, 2009.
Collections:Kindle books, Your library
Tags:Kindle, Honor Harrington, Manticore, SF, slavery

Storm from the Shadows by David Weber (Author) (2009)

This is an excellent story based upon the events in other books within the Honorverse. In particular the book Shadow of Saganami. Mike Henke’s role is expanded while the events in the Talbott Cluster. Watching the changes taking place within the Cluster was really interesting. Well worth reading. I'm looking forward to reading the next stories from that region. ( )
  John_T_Stewart | Jan 14, 2018 |
Not a bad novel, its in a segment of Sci Fi i don't normally read, Military Sci Fi. It is far too wordy though, in the authors attempt to fill you in on everything he has a tendency to slow or stop the current story element you are reading to fill you in on background details. These details are so long, that they have a tendency to cause the novel to drag and ruin the flow of what you are reading much of it is unneeded or could have been summed up much quicker.. Overall I did enjoy the book and will be exploring more of the series..as soon as I figure out how all the books fit together lol ( )
  TheBishop34 | May 31, 2016 |
I'm a longtime Honor Harrington fan and even a fan of her sub-series', so it pains me to give one of her books a rating that is below a four. Normally I give Honor books five stars. But the reviewers are right about this book. Weber ruined it with talking, talking, talking. Holy crap, I know he's wordy and I actually normally don't mind, unlike many people. I know that politics play a big role in this series and it's important to lay the groundwork and see how things transpire. I actually like it. I like the intrigue. But crap, this was just meeting after meeting, meetings to hold meetings, chapter after chapter of meetings. Geez, that's practically all the damn book was! Virtually everyone knows Weber is the best military sci fi writer out there and can write a battle scene like no other. That's really why everyone reads his books. He *should* know that, asshole! So, how many battles were there in this book? One could say one. One might even say two, though they'd be wrong. In one scene, a Solarian fleet fires on three Manticorian ships, destroying them unprovoked, but even then, we don't really see it. So that doesn't count. And in the "battle," Manticore destroys exactly ONE Solarian ship. Wow! Exciting. Remember when Haven and Manticore used to fight those gigantic battles? Remember the Battle of Manticore? When some 2,000,000 people died? Seems a thing of the distant past. Maybe Weber has forgotten how to write battle scenes. It'd be a pity. Cause then I'd stop reading him. This is a near-1200 page book of fucking meetings, dialogue, monologue, plotting, spying, conjecture, crap, crap, and more crap with people from every star system, kingdom, and corporation (Mesa) pondering what every other entity in the universe has been, is, and will be doing and it's damned annoying as hell. In fact, it's a waste of time because as Weber writes in his author's preface, which I've never seen him do, some 300 pages or so are simply cut and pastes from other Honor books. We've already read this stuff. He's just trying to "give us a different point of view." By cutting and pasting? Seriously? How exactly? This is the first Honor book I've been truly disappointed in, I believe. There have been a couple that haven't been as good as the others, but this is the first that is truly sub-par, a lazy, pathetic effort on the author's part and here's hoping this is the only such effort on his part. Here's hoping he returns to his previous standard of excellence in future Honor works. Cause this is a great series and one he needs to keep writing for the tens of millions of fans out there that love this character and series. Two stars. Not recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | May 7, 2016 |
Read it if you've read the other Honor Harrington books, the main story arc makes more sense that way. If you haven't read the other books, don't read it. Way too many briefs about meetings, meetings, more meetings and, yes, even more meetings! Fortunately you can skips those meetings. I'll summarize; we (Manties & allies) are good and smart. Have pity on us because other people keep attacking us. The Havenites are like Manties now; same moral, just less skilled. Oh yes, they we're evil, but now they aren't. Sollies are stupid but big. They keep underestimating us, but since they're stupid, no surprise there. Mesans are evil! Shoot on sight, ask questions later. ( )
1 vote markg80 | Dec 16, 2012 |
There are a _lot_ of assumptions made in this book, by all sides. 'In that case, they would have to...' over and over - by Sollies, Manties, and Mesa. As readers, we know more about it - by the end of the book I was getting seriously annoyed at the Manties for their assumptions on timing. Also intentions - though the destroyer didn't know about the puppetwork on New Tuscany. And like that. The story is neither started nor finished in this book - it starts with a major overlap with Shadow of Saganami and whatever book has Michelle's being left behind, and it ends with two proposals and two planned ship movements, which will be very exciting in the next book (or two, or...). There's also one major loose end that's mentioned but not directly seen - Zilwicki and Cachat haven't surfaced yet. Still, this book has its own share of excitement - poor Chatterjee, Byng, the setup with the spiders - and how do they think they're going to establish themselves with an Epsilon Eridani violation in their immediate past? Mesa's weird. And that's a setup that I'd forgotten to mention - another gonna-happen for the next book. The Honorverse is getting as intertwined as 163x - but unlike that series, it had a straightline of events long enough to draw me in. I do need to reread at least the previous couple books - AAC, SoS and the Torch one - before the next book comes out (and I have a good memory for the written word, I don't usually need to do that). Still, for this richness of event it's worth it. ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Dec 9, 2011 |

Weber, DavidAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Always for Sharon
"Talk to me, John!"

Rear Admiral Michelle Henke was commanding one of the ships in a force led by Honor Harrington in an all-out space battle when she and her surviving crew were taken prisoner. Through an agreement with the Havenites and her government, she was given a command far away from the war's battle lines. What she didn't realize was that she would find herself on a collision course with the interstellar syndicate of criminals known as Manpower.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,493,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible