Cent'anni di solitudine by Garbiel Garcia…

Cent'anni di solitudine (original 1967; edition 1995)

by Garbiel Garcia Marquez

32,71647523 (4.2)1 / 748
Member:deborina
Title:Cent'anni di solitudine
Authors:Garbiel Garcia Marquez
Info:Mondadori Printing (1995), Perfect Paperback, 405 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (chrisharpe, roby72, krizia_lazaro, browner56)
    browner56: Superb multi-generational sagas of two South American families, told in the magic realism style
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Mouseear)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (Gayle_C._Bull)
    The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (mcenroeucsb)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (Nickelini)
    The Famished Road by Ben Okri (Medellia)
    Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (hippietrail)
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Aturuxo)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (caflores)
    The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by Joao Guimaraes Rosa (roby72)
    Purgatory by Tomás Eloy Martínez (philosojerk)
    philosojerk: I found Martinez's style in Purgatory very reminiscent of Marquez's in One Hundred Years. If you enjoyed one of them, you would probably enjoy the other.
    Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa (SilentInAWay)
    The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll by Alvaro Mutis (chrisharpe)
    The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis De Bernières (ShaneTierney)
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (renardkitsune)
    La saga/fuga de J. B. by Gonzalo Torrente Ballester (Aturuxo)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (britchey)
    britchey: By interweaving magic and the real, both stories tell a multi-generational family epic about birth, death, and destiny.
    Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk (MaidMeri)
    Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado (hubertguillaud)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (derelicious)

1960s (17)
Read (6)

English (387)  Spanish (56)  Dutch (7)  Italian (7)  French (5)  All (3)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (2)  All (2)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (474)
I finished the goddamned thing. It's not a bad book. Bits of it are interesting, but it just didn't do it for me, and the book became a chore to read about halfway through. Perhaps, I should have read some shorter works of GGM's first and I might have appreciated it better. ( )
1 vote clmerle | Jul 22, 2017 |
Beautiful and magical throughout. The cyclical nature of history wonderfully realised. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 20, 2017 |
I have tried reading this 3 times. I just can't do it. I am been trying to decide if I don't like the characters or if it's the style of storytelling. I think it's both. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
I read Marquez’s Love in a Time of Cholera a couple of years ago, and while I can’t remember a whole lot of the plot, I remember that I loved how poetic his prose can be, and his flair for the dramatic, which led me to pick up One Hundred Years of Solitude. And it did not disappoint. I really enjoy stories that are set on an epic scale—across generations (the family tree at the beginning is helpful since everyone’s names derive from someone else’s in the family), but Marquez does a fantastic job of also focusing in on the characters themselves, and what drives them from day to day. While a lot of their feelings and intentions are strange, or even fantastical, the reader can relate to the different types of solitude the characters feel. Solitude in love, solitude in rejection, solitude in pride—and even the feeling of being alone while the house is filled with solitude. Despite the many wondrous and unlikely things that happen in the book, it is easy to suspend disbelief and continue, as Marquez evokes true human feelings throughout. This was a very good, very enjoyable book to read that is challenging without being too obscure. ( )
  renardkitsune | Jun 24, 2017 |
I really tried to like this book. Since Marquez is a Nobel prize winner, I expected I would like it. But I didn't. Could be the number of characters with highly similar names. Could be me, I don't know. I just know that I never really cared about what happened to these people and never was engaged in the story. I loved Isabel Allende's writing - so it might not be the "magical realism" style. It just didn't move me. ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
A trickle of blood came out under the door, crossed the living room, went out into the street, continued on in a straight line across the uneven terraces, went down steps and climbed over curbs, passed along the Street of the Turks, turned a corner to the right and another to the left, made a right angle at the Buendía house, went in under the closed door, crossed through the parlor, hugging the walls so as not to stain the rugs, went on to the other living room, made a wide curve to avoid the dining-room table, went along the porch with the begonias, and passed without being seen under Amaranta's chair as she gave an arithmetic lesson to Aureliano José, and went through the pantry and came out in the kitchen, where Úrsula was getting ready to crack thirty-six eggs to make bread.
"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

This is good Book for me... , The plot made me curious, Best ..

[García Márquez] creates a continuum, a web of connections and relationships. However bizarre or grotesque some particulars may be, the larger effect is one of great gusto and good humor and, even more, of sanity and compassion. The author seems to be letting his people half-dream and half-remember their own story and what is best, he is wise enough not to offer excuses for the way they do it. No excuse is really necessary. For Macondo is no never-never land. Its inhabitants do suffer, grow old and die, but in their own way.

buenisimo muy buena obra
added by tatianaerazo | editcolombia, tatianaerazo

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cicogna, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Packer, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabassa, GregoryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossi, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for
Jomí García Ascot
and
María Luisa Elío
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.
(Bulgarian)
Много години по-късно, пред взвода за разстрел, полковник Аурелиано Буендия щеше да си спомни онзи далечен подиробед, когато баща му го заведе да види леда.
(Chinese, Taiwan, Traditional script)
許多年後,當邦廸亞上校面對行刑槍隊時,他便會想起他父親帶他去找冰塊的那個遙遠的下午。
(Croatian)
Mnogo će se godina kasnije, pred streljačkim vodom, pukovnik Aureliano Buendía sjetiti tog davnog poslijepodneva kada ga je otac poveo da upozna led.
"[Y]ou'd be good in a war," she said. "Where you put your eye, you put your bullet."
Melquiades warns,
a message recieved late,
beware of the ants. (leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060883286, Paperback)

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

It is typical of Gabriel García Márquez that it will be many pages before his narrative circles back to the ice, and many chapters before the hero of One Hundred Years of Solitude, Buendía, stands before the firing squad. In between, he recounts such wonders as an entire town struck with insomnia, a woman who ascends to heaven while hanging laundry, and a suicide that defies the laws of physics:

"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

The story follows 100 years in the life of Macondo, a village founded by José Arcadio Buendía and occupied by descendants all sporting variations on their progenitor's name: his sons, José Arcadio and Aureliano, and grandsons, Aureliano José, Aureliano Segundo, and José Arcadio Segundo. Then there are the women--the two Úrsulas, a handful of Remedios, Fernanda, and Pilar--who struggle to remain grounded even as their menfolk build castles in the air. If it is possible for a novel to be highly comic and deeply tragic at the same time, then One Hundred Years of Solitude does the trick. Civil war rages throughout, hearts break, dreams shatter, and lives are lost, yet the effect is literary pentimento, with sorrow's outlines bleeding through the vibrant colors of García Márquez's magical realism. Consider, for example, the ghost of Prudencio Aguilar, whom José Arcadio Buendía has killed in a fight. So lonely is the man's shade that it haunts Buendía's house, searching anxiously for water with which to clean its wound. Buendía's wife, Úrsula, is so moved that "the next time she saw the dead man uncovering the pots on the stove she understood what he was looking for, and from then on she placed water jugs all about the house."

With One Hundred Years of Solitude Gabriel García Márquez introduced Latin American literature to a world-wide readership. Translated into more than two dozen languages, his brilliant novel of love and loss in Macondo stands at the apex of 20th-century literature. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

Tells the story of the Buendia family, set against the background of the evolution and eventual decadence of a small South American town.

4 2034

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118499X, 014103243X, 0141045639

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,192,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible