One Hundred Years of Solitude (Leatherbound…

One Hundred Years of Solitude (Leatherbound Classics) (original 1967; edition 2011)

by Gregory Rabassa (Translator) Gabriel Gar

32,41346923 (4.2)1 / 739
Member:MedeaMoon
Title:One Hundred Years of Solitude (Leatherbound Classics)
Authors:Gregory Rabassa (Translator) Gabriel Gar
Info:Barnes (2011), Hardcover
Rating:*****

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (chrisharpe, roby72, krizia_lazaro, browner56)
    browner56: Superb multi-generational sagas of two South American families, told in the magic realism style
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Mouseear)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (Gayle_C._Bull)
    The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (mcenroeucsb)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (Nickelini)
    The Famished Road by Ben Okri (Medellia)
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Aturuxo)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (caflores)
    Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (hippietrail)
    Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa (SilentInAWay)
    The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll by Alvaro Mutis (chrisharpe)
    Purgatory by Tomás Eloy Martínez (philosojerk)
    philosojerk: I found Martinez's style in Purgatory very reminiscent of Marquez's in One Hundred Years. If you enjoyed one of them, you would probably enjoy the other.
    The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by Joao Guimaraes Rosa (roby72)
    La saga/fuga de J. B. by Gonzalo Torrente Ballester (Aturuxo)
    The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis De Bernières (ShaneTierney)
    Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado (hubertguillaud)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (britchey)
    britchey: By interweaving magic and the real, both stories tell a multi-generational family epic about birth, death, and destiny.
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (derelicious)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (ajgreep)

1960s (17)
Read (6)

English (382)  Spanish (56)  Dutch (7)  Italian (6)  French (5)  All (3)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (2)  All (2)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (468)
This was very good! It did not start off easy for me, but once I got 100 pages or so in, I was hooked! The Buendias are memorable for sure! Highly recommend. ( )
  Symon45 | Apr 15, 2017 |
This book felt like it took me a long time to get through, which isn't surprising given that it's meant to be so circuitous, and because the titular "hundred years" feels so much longer given how staggered the generations of the Buendía family are. That said, it's got one of the best opening lines and one of the most satisfying endings I've read in a long, long time. I had the fun experience of trying to describe the novel to someone over hostel breakfast, which was hard to do but at least gave me the acceptable excuse to use "paterfamilias" in conversation (which opportunity doesn't often come up). I think I'm not alone in finding that the story belongs most to Úrsula, if you're in search of a main character, and that once she was gone the rest of the novel was just broad strokes filling out that family tree we have at the beginning. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Amazing breath and depth! i teared at sofia's quiet diligence and faith, and identified with Aureliano Buendia when he was lost. ( )
  siok | Jan 30, 2017 |
This family saga about 4 generations living in a mythical city, probably based on a real one of the author's youth, has good bones but I couldn't get into either the story or the characters. Especially the characters. I think some are based on people from the author's life, however, they aren't fleshed out into real people the reader can grasp. I read 143 pages out of 448 pages. Plenty happens but not in depth.

I read the author bit at the rear of the book about his life. He considered himself always to be a journalist, although he wrote a number of books as well. I didn't know that while reading. The author is a Nobel Prize winner, but I feel the book must suffer from translation, for one thing.

I tried to meld with the words more, the story, the people, but it didn't happen for me. So unusual. It's rare that I don't finish a book, even if it's not so good. This one is relatively long (which I don't mind at all), but I can't see staying with it. I read snippets from other parts of the book, and it seemed the same as what I'd read, with other generations.

For the author, this was something of a journaling of his family, and for historical value, the book is probably excellent. It just doesn't speak to me and I grew tired of plodding through it looking for a spark of interest. The family experiences much the same as any family of the time would have, or any family of any time -- many things happen to civilizations, towns and people in any given time. So this is an accounting. For me, the depth is missing. I understood it all. It's just not something I wish to continue reading, and I dislike saying that about the writing of a Nobel Prize winner. Perhaps in the original language, it was much better. I wish I could pinpoint what makes me put the book down, but I don't know. Nothing I read makes me want to keep reading it.
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Woohoo! I'm done! This was a really weird one, and not at all what I was expecting. I had not previously read any "magical realism" as far as I know. It was crazy! It really helped me to do a 'group read' on this one so that I could see what other people were thinking/feeling, and I could ask questions and not feel like I was totally lost, or just stupid ;)
"Very interesting" is all I can say, and now I can mark it off my Classics list!!! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 18, 2017 |
A trickle of blood came out under the door, crossed the living room, went out into the street, continued on in a straight line across the uneven terraces, went down steps and climbed over curbs, passed along the Street of the Turks, turned a corner to the right and another to the left, made a right angle at the Buendía house, went in under the closed door, crossed through the parlor, hugging the walls so as not to stain the rugs, went on to the other living room, made a wide curve to avoid the dining-room table, went along the porch with the begonias, and passed without being seen under Amaranta's chair as she gave an arithmetic lesson to Aureliano José, and went through the pantry and came out in the kitchen, where Úrsula was getting ready to crack thirty-six eggs to make bread.
"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

This is good Book for me... , The plot made me curious, Best ..

[García Márquez] creates a continuum, a web of connections and relationships. However bizarre or grotesque some particulars may be, the larger effect is one of great gusto and good humor and, even more, of sanity and compassion. The author seems to be letting his people half-dream and half-remember their own story and what is best, he is wise enough not to offer excuses for the way they do it. No excuse is really necessary. For Macondo is no never-never land. Its inhabitants do suffer, grow old and die, but in their own way.

buenisimo muy buena obra
added by tatianaerazo | editcolombia, tatianaerazo

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cicogna, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Packer, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabassa, GregoryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossi, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for
Jomí García Ascot
and
María Luisa Elío
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.
(Bulgarian)
Много години по-късно, пред взвода за разстрел, полковник Аурелиано Буендия щеше да си спомни онзи далечен подиробед, когато баща му го заведе да види леда.
(Chinese, Taiwan, Traditional script)
許多年後,當邦廸亞上校面對行刑槍隊時,他便會想起他父親帶他去找冰塊的那個遙遠的下午。
(Croatian)
Mnogo će se godina kasnije, pred streljačkim vodom, pukovnik Aureliano Buendía sjetiti tog davnog poslijepodneva kada ga je otac poveo da upozna led.
"[Y]ou'd be good in a war," she said. "Where you put your eye, you put your bullet."
Melquiades warns,
a message recieved late,
beware of the ants. (leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060883286, Paperback)

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

It is typical of Gabriel García Márquez that it will be many pages before his narrative circles back to the ice, and many chapters before the hero of One Hundred Years of Solitude, Buendía, stands before the firing squad. In between, he recounts such wonders as an entire town struck with insomnia, a woman who ascends to heaven while hanging laundry, and a suicide that defies the laws of physics:

"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

The story follows 100 years in the life of Macondo, a village founded by José Arcadio Buendía and occupied by descendants all sporting variations on their progenitor's name: his sons, José Arcadio and Aureliano, and grandsons, Aureliano José, Aureliano Segundo, and José Arcadio Segundo. Then there are the women--the two Úrsulas, a handful of Remedios, Fernanda, and Pilar--who struggle to remain grounded even as their menfolk build castles in the air. If it is possible for a novel to be highly comic and deeply tragic at the same time, then One Hundred Years of Solitude does the trick. Civil war rages throughout, hearts break, dreams shatter, and lives are lost, yet the effect is literary pentimento, with sorrow's outlines bleeding through the vibrant colors of García Márquez's magical realism. Consider, for example, the ghost of Prudencio Aguilar, whom José Arcadio Buendía has killed in a fight. So lonely is the man's shade that it haunts Buendía's house, searching anxiously for water with which to clean its wound. Buendía's wife, Úrsula, is so moved that "the next time she saw the dead man uncovering the pots on the stove she understood what he was looking for, and from then on she placed water jugs all about the house."

With One Hundred Years of Solitude Gabriel García Márquez introduced Latin American literature to a world-wide readership. Translated into more than two dozen languages, his brilliant novel of love and loss in Macondo stands at the apex of 20th-century literature. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

Tells the story of the Buendia family, set against the background of the evolution and eventual decadence of a small South American town.

4 2028

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118499X, 014103243X, 0141045639

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,365,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible