Cien Años de Soledad by Gabriel García…

Cien Años de Soledad (original 1967; edition 2006)

by Gabriel García Márquez

34,10850733 (4.2)1 / 816
Member:rgutierrezto
Title:Cien Años de Soledad
Authors:Gabriel García Márquez
Info:Catedra (2006), Edition: 6, Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:*****

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (chrisharpe, roby72, krizia_lazaro, browner56)
    browner56: Superb multi-generational sagas of two South American families, told in the magic realism style
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Mouseear)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (Gayle_C._Bull)
    The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (mcenroeucsb)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (Nickelini)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes (caflores)
    The Famished Road by Ben Okri (Medellia)
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Aturuxo)
    Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (hippietrail)
    Purgatory by Tomás Eloy Martínez (philosojerk)
    philosojerk: I found Martinez's style in Purgatory very reminiscent of Marquez's in One Hundred Years. If you enjoyed one of them, you would probably enjoy the other.
    The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by João Guimarães Rosa (roby72)
    The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll by Alvaro Mutis (chrisharpe)
    Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa (SilentInAWay)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (derelicious)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk (MaidMeri)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (britchey)
    britchey: By interweaving magic and the real, both stories tell a multi-generational family epic about birth, death, and destiny.
    The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis De Bernières (ShaneTierney)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (ajgreep)
    Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado (hubertguillaud)

1960s (17)
Read (7)

English (411)  Spanish (56)  Dutch (9)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Catalan (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (505)
I came away from this book feeling as though I was truly part of Marquez’s experience. Though fictional and full of “magical realism”, the book is personal and truth-telling. Hilarious at times, deeply troubling at others, the book's range astounds and is a celebration of human flaws.

The book reads like a timelapse through Columbia’s genesis and history in the personal accounts of the Buendias. Each family member’s experience is an allegory of some aspect of Columbian life. The characters experience each of the waves of history and are usually important figures in that history. Usually, the characters come away from those events disillusioned and solitary.

The clear moral of this novel is that history repeats itself and it continues to do so with more technological power behind it. The Buendias inability to adapt and integrate with the changes of modernity in spite of the existence of pathways for connection is the cause of their demise. The big question is whether humanity is destined for a similar fate.

The theme that I least expected from this book was how technology brought change to Macondo. From the very first line of the book, there is a fascination with all things novel, like ice, and all technological advancements. Jose Buendia is absurdly fascinated with technology and will spend his wife’s money for any hairbrained idea that uses the latest technology. The demise of the town is in no small way related to the technological inventions that were thrust upon it, especially that of the railroads. The thing that connected this town to the outside world did not fundamentally change the isolation of this family. Jose Arcadio Buendia’s own death is the death of hope in technology to provide progress. (It's interesting the memory machine Jose Arcadio Buendia's wanted to invent during the insomnia plague is realized through our computers and Internet).

The question I still ask myself after reading this book is why solitude is the main word in the title. Solitude usually has a positive connotation, but the family is more isolated and egotistical than living in solitude. This is something I will ponder and be searching for when I revisit the book.

This is a challenging novel, but one that is important to struggle with for its unique South American perspective on the world and for its examination of truth. ( )
  danrk | Jul 28, 2018 |
This is one of the most boring books I ever read. Why did the characters all have the same name? I was trying to read this for a book group. I just can't. I feel bad because I really wanted to like it. It's just not my kinda book. On to the next. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Loved this book! But it is no easy read. It goes through the life of the Buendía family starting with two cousins marrying each other and the kids and grand kids and great grand kids that follow. Many of the characters share names, so it was a bit confusing, but you get the hang of it and see a pattern with characters who have the same name, there is also a family tree at the beginning. I had to flip to it so many times, really should of just made a copy and kept it next to me as I read. There are fantasy elements that are well done and don't take up too much of the story. This book is just about life and everything that comes with it, so its funny, sad, and most of all interesting. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
A little strange for my tastes. It had moments of great interest that never seemed to come to fruition. I did not feel I was ever involved in any of the characters or that they could have realistically existed. Not terrible, just not as grand as I had been lead to believe. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had read it like in a class? It was just dizzying, which I know is part of the point, but it didn't lead me anywhere I found to be interesting, and the whole time thing was like "okay sure that's cool."

I think what I really learned from this is I don't actually care for novels in which family members just sleep with each other and also children, and even though I usually enjoy magical realism, I didn't love this one! ( )
1 vote aijmiller | Jul 5, 2018 |

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cicogna, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Packer, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabassa, GregoryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossi, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for
Jomí García Ascot
and
María Luisa Elío
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.
(Bulgarian)
Много години по-късно, пред взвода за разстрел, полковник Аурелиано Буендия щеше да си спомни онзи далечен подиробед, когато баща му го заведе да види леда.
(Chinese, Taiwan, Traditional script)
許多年後,當邦廸亞上校面對行刑槍隊時,他便會想起他父親帶他去找冰塊的那個遙遠的下午。
(Croatian)
Mnogo će se godina kasnije, pred streljačkim vodom, pukovnik Aureliano Buendía sjetiti tog davnog poslijepodneva kada ga je otac poveo da upozna led.
"[Y]ou'd be good in a war," she said. "Where you put your eye, you put your bullet."
Da José Arcadio ad Aureliano, dalla scoperta del ghiaccio alla decifrazione delle pergamene di Melquíades: sette generazioni di Buendía inseguono un destino ineluttabile. Con questo romanzo tumultuoso che usa i toni della favola, sorretto da un linguaggio portentoso e da una prodigiosa fantasia, Gabriel García Márquez ha saputo rifondare la realtà e, attraverso Macondo, creare un vero e proprio paradigma dell'esistenza umana. Un universo di solitudini incrociate, impenetrabili ed eterne, in cui galleggia una moltitudine di eroi. Edizione del cinquantenario (1967-2017).
(piopas)
Melquiades warns,
a message recieved late,
beware of the ants.
(leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060883286, Paperback)

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

It is typical of Gabriel García Márquez that it will be many pages before his narrative circles back to the ice, and many chapters before the hero of One Hundred Years of Solitude, Buendía, stands before the firing squad. In between, he recounts such wonders as an entire town struck with insomnia, a woman who ascends to heaven while hanging laundry, and a suicide that defies the laws of physics:

A trickle of blood came out under the door, crossed the living room, went out into the street, continued on in a straight line across the uneven terraces, went down steps and climbed over curbs, passed along the Street of the Turks, turned a corner to the right and another to the left, made a right angle at the Buendía house, went in under the closed door, crossed through the parlor, hugging the walls so as not to stain the rugs, went on to the other living room, made a wide curve to avoid the dining-room table, went along the porch with the begonias, and passed without being seen under Amaranta's chair as she gave an arithmetic lesson to Aureliano José, and went through the pantry and came out in the kitchen, where Úrsula was getting ready to crack thirty-six eggs to make bread.
"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

The story follows 100 years in the life of Macondo, a village founded by José Arcadio Buendía and occupied by descendants all sporting variations on their progenitor's name: his sons, José Arcadio and Aureliano, and grandsons, Aureliano José, Aureliano Segundo, and José Arcadio Segundo. Then there are the women--the two Úrsulas, a handful of Remedios, Fernanda, and Pilar--who struggle to remain grounded even as their menfolk build castles in the air. If it is possible for a novel to be highly comic and deeply tragic at the same time, then One Hundred Years of Solitude does the trick. Civil war rages throughout, hearts break, dreams shatter, and lives are lost, yet the effect is literary pentimento, with sorrow's outlines bleeding through the vibrant colors of García Márquez's magical realism. Consider, for example, the ghost of Prudencio Aguilar, whom José Arcadio Buendía has killed in a fight. So lonely is the man's shade that it haunts Buendía's house, searching anxiously for water with which to clean its wound. Buendía's wife, Úrsula, is so moved that "the next time she saw the dead man uncovering the pots on the stove she understood what he was looking for, and from then on she placed water jugs all about the house."

With One Hundred Years of Solitude Gabriel García Márquez introduced Latin American literature to a world-wide readership. Translated into more than two dozen languages, his brilliant novel of love and loss in Macondo stands at the apex of 20th-century literature. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

Tells the story of the Buendia family, set against the background of the evolution and eventual decadence of a small South American town.

4 2075

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118499X, 014103243X, 0141045639

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,928,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible