Page by Tamora Pierce

So many good morals are written so firmly that I have made a point to recommend to young women that I meet. Kel is such a strong and determined girl. Who couldn't admire a character like this? ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Here, Keladry begins to flower. And I don't mean physically, though that happens too, much to her disgust...part of that is for the hormonal effects that have her noticing men. Kel does develop a crush, though she keeps it silent, and is crushed upon by several of her fellow pages; still, it never becomes the point of the story (thank goodness). Lord Wyldon actually acknowledges her abilities, as she displays them both in training and in real tests. She also makes a lot more friends, of various sorts - from her maid Lalasa to various first-year pages. This book covers the remaining three years of her pagehood, so it's not as detailed as First Test, but it contains a lot of good scenes. Facing down Joren and his friends, with all the pages united behind Kel, is one of my favorites; another that stays with me is the whole final sequence with Lalasa and the examinations. And the various gifts, culminating in Peachblossom - we know who's giving them, of course, but Kel is truly bewildered. It's amusing. There's also a little more development of other characters, and a few changes for Kel - not many, her determination keeps her in a pretty straight line. Like this one even better than First Test. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 13, 2014 |
I was afraid I'd have to write a bad review because it was all about her boobs and her period and boys are a Thing now. Fortunately the story didn't dwell on that /too/ much. I'm a little afraid the next one might, but I'll read it anyway. ( )
  Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |
Previously read, listened to CD edition currently. Possibly my favorite series of Tamora Pierce titles, I really connect to Kel's sense of justice and her frustration with the unfair world. Secondary characters are all full of depth and Pierce's details of Tortall just get better the more she writes. Bernadette Dunne was excellent as well with plenty of emotion in her reading without getting in the way of the story. I just loved listening to this. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
As with all Tamora Pierce books I loved this one. Page is the second volume in the Protector of the Small quartet. It continues the story of Keladry of Mindelan, the first girl officially trying for her knighthood. After she has gained the right to continue her training in the first book, First Test, she now has the last three years of a page ahead of her. Her life becomes more settled and she gains new friends. But her lessons also increase in difficulty. Lord Wyldon especially seems to make sure that she gets a more difficult task every time she masters an exercise. She also has to live through ordeals outside of the training yards, including fighting bandits and facing her fear of heights. And at the end of her three years stand the Big Examinations that are to decide if she is made a squire or fails.

Again Kel is a strong heroine and her compassion for her friends and helpless animals are great. She conveys values that seem to be missing in our modern society all too often, where people rather look away than help. I also loved Lord Wyldon's development. His last conversation with Kel at the end of the novel is one of my favorite in the whole book. Of course it also helped that he has a soft spot for dogs.

The unabridged audiobook is a great experience. It enables you to listen to Kel's story while doing housework or other tedious tasks. Bernadette Dunne does a wonderful job at narrating the story. I think her voice suits the book very well. ( )
  Zurpel | Dec 23, 2012 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Julia Niederhut Muche for memory's sake.
To Julia Niederhut Muche (Random House paperback edition, 2001)
Autumn that year was warm.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679889183, Mass Market Paperback)

As the only female page in history to last beyond the first year of formal training to become a knight, 11-year-old Keladry of Mindelan has an uphill battle to fight. In addition to proving herself worthy of being a page, Kel spends her time defending first-year pages from bullies, staying on top of homework, conquering her paralyzing fear of heights, and keeping up with Lord Wyldon's grueling physical training schedule. Kel's detractors do everything in their power to thwart her progress, from tormenting her friends to sabotaging the Midwinter Festivities to kidnapping her maid and dog on the day of final examinations. The tide of resistance begins to turn slightly during the summer between Kel's second and third years, when she leads a team of pages in defensive maneuvers against renegade bandits--coincidentally on the same day that she gets her first period!

Tamora Pierce revisits the imaginary Kingdom of Tortall in this sequel to First Test: Protector of the Small. Fans of Pierce's exotic fantasy sequences will be hard-pressed to put either book down. Kel is a valuable role model: she's proud of being a girl, and she never wavers in her conviction that she can do anything a boy can--and usually do it better. Some rather bloody battles as well as discussions about Kel's developing body make this book appropriate for more mature readers. (Ages 10 to 14) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

Keladry of Mindelan continues her training to become a squire with the aid of a new maid, the support of her friends, interference from some other pages, and some serious, even dangerous opposition.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible