Page (Protector of the Small) by Tamora…
Member:DevonShea5
Title:Page (Protector of the Small)
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Laurel Leaf (2001), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:teen fantasy

Page by Tamora Pierce (2000)

#1: First Test ★★★★
#2: Page ★★★★
#3: Squire ★★★★★

This review can also be found on my blog.

cw: past abuse, attempted assault

For the first time she could understand how someone in a rage might do murder. “How dare you touch an unwilling woman?” she asked.

This book follows Kel through her second, third, and fourth years as a page. I was surprised that this was all to be packed into one book, but it made sense that there was only so much to be covered once the probationary period was out of the way. We get to see the return of all Kel’s friends along with meeting some new ones, including her new maid Lalasa.

Lalasa is a great character in her own right, a young woman who has suffered from great abuse at the hands of men. She is timid when she first enrolls in Kel’s service, but quickly comes into her own with the page’s encouragement. We get to see Lalasa develop alongside Kel in a mirror image of sorts. It’s really nice to see this friendship between women blossom in such a male-centric environment.

Kel also has to deal with the beginnings of puberty while undergoing her trials as a page. One thing I love about Tamora Pierce is that she’s not afraid to write the real stuff. She’s blunt and honest without being crude. Kel begins to grow breasts, experiences several jumps in height, and gets her first period. If only we also lived in a world where a magical talisman was the solution, but I guess we have birth control!

It’s also really great to see Kel further dealing with her phobia. As revealed in the first book, her terror of heights came out of previous emotional abuse she experienced from her brother. While resistant at first she knows that overcoming, or at least confronting, these fears are key to her becoming a knight. As someone who has dealt with severe anxiety, I think it’s really important to see strong characters who struggle with it as well.

Overall, I continue to adore Kel as a character and find her story fun to follow. I usually don’t tend to like lawful good characters as I find them a bit boring, but Tammy is a master of developing people you love to read about. I mean, how can you not love a girl knight-to-be taking down abusers? I’d definitely recommend this book, and the series, to any lovers of Tamora Pierce as well as readers of YA fantasy. ( )
  samesfoley | Feb 12, 2019 |
Plot: 4/5
I do love Tamora Pierce, don’t get me wrong. And I did love the plot of this one, as always, I just wish that we had gone into more detail of things AS THEY WERE HAPPENING. I feel like we got a lot of information after the fact. Like, her midwinter as a second year page, we found out that Alanna sent her, like, saddlebags or something along those lines and then it’s like, “Oh, I forgot to tell you but I got Riding Gloves from her in the summer and Gauntlets in the fall”. Also, for that same midwinter, we KNOW that KEl received presents from people other than Alanna, but we were never told who or what. In the first book, there was this little detail, Roald sent her a glass-blown horse that looked like Peachblossom for Midwinter, I really appreciated that detail, and I feel like we don’t get any similar details in this book, and that makes me sad. 

Characters: 5/5
Kel: has less of that Yamani thing that disturbed me in the first book. I feel like it fades the longer she’s away from the Yamanis.

Neal: is still fun and sarcastic

Owen: We meet this kind of chubby little page who overuses the word ‘jolly’ especially in reference to fights. He’s so cute.

Joren: ERG! How could, you, Kel, NOT realize that no matter what he says, he still, and always will be, a jerkface!

Romance Factor: 5/5
There was not an actual ROMANCE in this book. There was a ROMANCE FACTOR.
So, the romance factor here was really cute.
Definition of a Love Triangle: When one girl cannot choose between two boys. Or one boy cannot choose between girls. Or one person who is bisexual cannot choose between two memebers of the same species that person consider attractive. Or… you know what I mean.
THIS WAS NOT A LOVE TRIANLE.
So, Cleon came back for one Midwinter and it was OBVIOUS he had a crush on Kel. But Kel had been crushing on Neal for quite some time. There was one really cute scene where Neal had his arm around her shoulders and Cleon told him to stop manhandling and then Cleon put his arm around his shoulders. It was a really cute and awesome interaction between the three of them.

Overall grade: 14/15. That’s a really high A.
I LOVE TAMORA PIERCE!!! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Kel continues training to be a knight. She faces sexism from her fellow nobles and danger from the kingdom's enemies.

Kel goes through puberty (at 12, which seems early for her time period) and immediately starts being interesting to boys--and gets interested right back. I wish we'd gotten more of her training, which is the most interesting part of these books to me. I also wish Kel was a little less perfect. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
4.5 stars.
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |
Description: As the first openly female page in a century, 11-year-old Keladry of Mindelan has an uphill battle to fight. In addition to proving herself worthy of being a page, Kel spends her time defending first-year pages from bullies, staying on top of homework, conquering her paralyzing fear of heights, and keeping up with Lord Wyldon's grueling physical training schedule.

Kel's detractors do everything in their power to thwart her progress, from tormenting her friends to sabotaging the Midwinter Festivities, to kidnapping her maid and dog on the day of final examinations.

The tide of resistance begins to turn slightly as Kel proves time and again that she is capable and determined.

Tamora Pierce revisits the imaginary Kingdom of Tortall in this sequel to First Test: Protector of the Small. Fans of Pierce's exotic fantasy sequences will be hard-pressed to put either book down. Kel is a valuable role model: she's proud of being a girl, and she never wavers in her conviction that she can do anything a boy can - and usually do it better.

Thoughts: I'm rather enjoying this subseries! The pacing is pretty good, we're staying put in Tortall with a fairly consistent cast of characters, and actually getting to focus on the path to knighthood! I appreciate Kel's determination and hard work and the way she deals with those around her fairly and compassionately.

Rating: 3.83

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti,JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Julia Niederhut Muche for memory's sake.
To Julia Niederhut Muche (Random House paperback edition, 2001)
Autumn that year was warm.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679889183, Mass Market Paperback)

As the only female page in history to last beyond the first year of formal training to become a knight, 11-year-old Keladry of Mindelan has an uphill battle to fight. In addition to proving herself worthy of being a page, Kel spends her time defending first-year pages from bullies, staying on top of homework, conquering her paralyzing fear of heights, and keeping up with Lord Wyldon's grueling physical training schedule. Kel's detractors do everything in their power to thwart her progress, from tormenting her friends to sabotaging the Midwinter Festivities to kidnapping her maid and dog on the day of final examinations. The tide of resistance begins to turn slightly during the summer between Kel's second and third years, when she leads a team of pages in defensive maneuvers against renegade bandits--coincidentally on the same day that she gets her first period!

Tamora Pierce revisits the imaginary Kingdom of Tortall in this sequel to First Test: Protector of the Small. Fans of Pierce's exotic fantasy sequences will be hard-pressed to put either book down. Kel is a valuable role model: she's proud of being a girl, and she never wavers in her conviction that she can do anything a boy can--and usually do it better. Some rather bloody battles as well as discussions about Kel's developing body make this book appropriate for more mature readers. (Ages 10 to 14) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:14 -0400)

Keladry of Mindelan continues her training to become a squire with the aid of a new maid, the support of her friends, interference from some other pages, and some serious, even dangerous opposition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,502,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible