One Day at a Time by Danielle Steel

One Day at a Time (2009)

by Danielle Steel

Coco Barrington was born into a legendary Hollywood family, her last name loaded with expectations. Her mother is a mega bestselling author who writes under the pen name of Florence Flowers and her sister, Jane, is one of Hollywood's top producers. They are not your typical family by any means...Jane has lived with her partner Liz, in a solid, loving relationship for ten years. Florence, widowed but still radiant, has just begun a secret romance with a man twenty-four years her junior. And Coco - a law school dropout, turned dog walker - is her family's black sheep, who has fled life in the spotlight for the artsy northern California beach town of Bolinas.

But when Coco reluctantly agrees to dog-sit in Jane's luxurious home, she soon discovers how much things can change in just a matter of days. It turns out Jane's house comes complete with an unexpected house guest: Leslie Baxter, a dashing but down-to-earth British actor who is fleeing a psycho ex-girlfriend. Their worlds couldn't be more different. Their attraction couldn't be more immediate.

Suddenly, Coco is seeing things totally differently: Leslie is not just a celebrity, he is a loving single father with an adorable six-year-old daughter. Her mother's not just a self-centered walking advertisement for great cosmetic surgery, she is a woman in love, with vulnerability and new insight. And Jane and Liz are about to take the bravest plunge of all - into parenthood. As Coco contemplates a future with one of Hollywood's hottest stars, as her mother and sister settle into their new lives, old wounds are healed and new families are formed - some traditional and some not so traditional.

As I have said before, I consider Danielle Steel to be my "guilty pleasure" author - the type of author that I read in order to experience my "Calgon, take me away" moment. Usually, I can count on Danielle Steel for fluffy, feel good plots and characters. Unfortunately, this particular book had no such plots or characters for me to enjoy. I found that in the 320 pages of this book, Danielle Steel concentrated almost too much on the minutest details of characters' reactions to events, and not as much as she should have on furthering the plot.

Perhaps I didn't enjoy this book as much as I usually do when I read a book by Danielle Steel, but I did end up giving this book a B+! I still enjoy Danielle Steel as my "guilty pleasure" author, I just don't think I will read another Danielle Steel book for several months. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Aug 17, 2012 |
2011-10-04
  Petit-Enghien | Oct 6, 2011 |
This book wasn't over the top amazing or anything, but was fairly good. I enjoyed the story, but kind of felt like it was over played. The main character's family part of the story I feel was the best part of the book. It starts off being a not so great family and then the ending is just a happy one! ( )
  samajama27 | Mar 8, 2011 |
This is the story of Coco who is almost a recluse, she walks dogs and lives on a beach.. She house sits for her sister and her lover Liz and while she is staying at thier house a friend of theirs needs to hide out there .. his name is Lesile Baxter he is the biggest movie heart throb there is.
The meet fall in love.. deal with the curves that his job tosses them with the papparizzi that hurt her physically in Venice when she visits him on location .. after awhile he shows up and they agree to live together and get married ( )
  dbhutch | Sep 13, 2010 |
I felt that I had read this book before, probably in another of Danielle Steele's books. Nice love story, but there was a lot of fluff in between the good parts. ( )
  codiebelle78 | May 25, 2009 |

Steel, Danielleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, MariëtteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Danielle Steel celebrates families of every stripe in her compelling novel—a tale of three very different couples who struggle and survive, love, laugh, and learn to take life . . .

Coco Barrington was born into a legendary Hollywood family. Her mother, Florence, is a mega-bestselling author. Her sister, Jane, is one of Hollywood’s top producers and has lived with her partner, Liz, for ten years in a solid, loving relationship. Florence, widowed but still radiant, has just begun a secret romance with a man twenty-four years her junior. But Coco, a law-school dropout and the family black sheep, works as a dog walker, having fled life in the spotlight for an artsy Northern California beach town.

When Coco reluctantly agrees to house-sit for Jane, she discovers an unexpected houseguest: Leslie Baxter, a dashing but down-to-earth British actor who’s fleeing a psycho ex-girlfriend. Their worlds couldn’t be more different. The attraction couldn’t be more immediate. And as Coco contemplates a future with one of Hollywood’s hottest stars, as her mother and sister settle into their lives, old wounds are healed and new families are formed—some traditional, some not so traditional, but all bonded by love.

With wit and intelligence, Danielle Steel’s novel explores love in all its guises, taking us into the lives of three unusual but wonderfully real couples. Funny, sexy, and wise, One Day at a Time is at once moving, thought-provoking, and utterly impossible to put down.

Coco Barrington was born into a legendary Hollywood family. When she house-sits for her sister, she discovers an unexpected, yet attractive houseguest with a psycho ex-girlfriend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible