Scorsese by Ebert by Roger Ebert

Scorsese by Ebert

by Roger Ebert

Ebert and Scorsese both had Catholic childhoods. This makes it easy for the critic to understand the film maker's obsessions, and for him to appreciate his brilliance. Even though the book is redundant in parts, the interview with Scorsese is pretty great, and the recaps of all the films make the book an essential reference on this important director. ( )
  paakre | Apr 27, 2013 |
Scorsese at first seems like a compilation of Roger Ebert's various interviews and reviews concerning the man and his work. And it is that: if you're simply looking for a collection of reviews of Scorsese's movies, from debut WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR to last year's SHINE A LIGHT documentary on the Rolling Stones, well, I guess this book will have served its purpose.

But that's not all. It's also a close examination of the best that movies can aspire to, and what goes into achieving that. It's about the childhood memories that are burned so deeply into our souls that we have have no choice but to leave the faintest of traces on all that we touch. It's a celebration, and for Ebert it's a chance to explore the sparks to see just how it is that they ignite his soul.

But it is also, perhaps first and foremost, about the movies.

The title says it all: this isn't an objective look at Martin Scorsese the Film Director. This is a very personal, subjective book about how Marty, both in person and in his films, has affected Roger over the course of his professional life. He constantly refers to Scorsese as the greatest living American Director, and while I do agree with that statement, the beauty of the book is that it doesn't feel at all like its job is to convince me - it just wants me to know how and why they happen to work for Ebert. In the process of this, however, you get a thorough examination of each Scorsese's films, including in some instances reconsiderations that act as a counterpoint to Ebert original reviews (all of which are included) as well as a series of longer essays compiled under the heading of "Masterpieces" which are culled from Ebert's excellent Great Movies series.

What Ebert has done is to bring the director's films to life in a way that makes watching them somehow more vibrant, more alive. Which is something I'll definitely be doing sooner rather than later. ( )
  squeakjones | Feb 6, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0226182029, Hardcover)

Roger Ebert wrote the first film review that director Martin Scorsese ever received—for 1967’s I Call First, later renamed Who’s That Knocking at My Door—creating a lasting bond that made him one of Scorsese’s most appreciative and perceptive commentators. Scorsese by Ebert offers the first record of America’s most respected film critic’s engagement with the works of America’s greatest living director, chronicling every single feature film in Scorsese’s considerable oeuvre, from his aforementioned debut to his 2008 release, the Rolling Stones documentary Shine a Light.

In the course of eleven interviews done over almost forty years, the book also includes Scorsese’s own insights on both his accomplishments and disappointments. Ebert has also written and included six new reconsiderations of the director’s less commented upon films, as well as a substantial introduction that provides a framework for understanding both Scorsese and his profound impact on American cinema.

"Given their career-long back-and-forth, this collection makes perfect sense. . . . In these reconsiderations, Ebert invites us into his thought processes, letting us see not just what he thinks, but how he forms his opinions. Ebert’s insights into Scorsese are terrific, but this book offers the bonus of further insights into Ebert himself."—Time Out Chicago

"Ebert, film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times, is an unabashed fan of Scorsese, whom he considers ‘the most gifted director of his generation.’ . . . Of special note are interviews with Scorsese over a 25-year period, in which the director candidly discusses his body of work."—Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:09 -0400)

"Scorsese by Ebert offers the first record of America's most respected film critic's engagement with the works of America's greatest living director. The book chronicles every single feature film in Scorsese's considerable oeuvre, from his debut in 1967's I Call First, later renamed Who's That Knocking at My Door, to his 2008 release, the Rolling Stones documentary, Shine a Light." "Here Ebert puts Scorsese's career in illuminating perspective, exploring the different phases of his development and the abiding themes (many of which reflect Scorsese's Catholicism) that give his work such complexity and depth. All of Ebert's incisive reviews of Scorsese's individual films are here, of course, but there is much more. In the course of eleven interviews done over almost forty years, the book includes Scorsese's own insights on both his accomplishments and disappointments. A career-spanning interview from 1997, one of the longest ever conducted with Scorsese, appears here for the first time. Ebert has also written and included six new reconsiderations of the director's less commented upon films, as well as a substantial introduction that provides a framework for understanding both Scorcese and his profound impact on American cinema."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible