Modern Japanese Stories: An Anthology

by Ivan Morris (Editor)

Other authors: Masakazu Kuwata (Illustrator)

This collection shows the qualities of literature that have helped earn writers Mishima, Tanizaki and Kawabata international reputations, making Japanese literature highly valued for what it teaches about Japan, the human condition, and the possibilities of art. The anthology also contains a critical introduction by the editor tracing the development of modern Japanese fiction and introductory paragraphs to each story giving information about the author and the story's cultural context.… (more)

I love this book. It is exactly the book I wanted my older son to bring me back from his first trip to Japan a year ago. This book was eventually gifted to me by a friend of my son's who was moving to Japan. It was part of a book collection that he was clearing out from his parents' house.

This is a magnificent collection of short stories by some of the best contemporary Japanese writers starting from the period following World War II. The book has an extensive introduction to explain about the trends in this type of fiction but cautions the reader to not view these stories through any sort of "classification.". Each story is prefaced by a sizable biography of its author and information about the author's style of writing. This adds very much to the experience of reading each story. The stories are illustrated by magnificent woodcuts, each beautiful
in its own way.

I am planning to keep this book for my permanent collection...which I don't often do these days. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Aug 27, 2016 |

Morris, IvanEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuwata, MasakazuIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

The smaller one is, the more one does to make people angry. (Machine by Yokomitsu Riichi)
...a secret leaks out because of the conceit of its possessor. (Machine by Yokomitsu Riichi)
He had his own views, and thought there was nothing wrong with stealing if it contributed to the advance of civilization.  (Machine by Yokomitsu Riishi)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,710,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible