Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert

Planting a Rainbow (original 1988; edition 1992)

by Lois Ehlert

Member:sharon65
Title:Planting a Rainbow
Authors:Lois Ehlert
Info:Sandpiper (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:Picture Book, Different types of flowers, steps on how to plants flowers, colors

Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert (1988)

This is a book I would use with kindergarten students when they first plant a seed in science. The book will give them a preview of how plants grow during each season. Students would plant a seed in science and every-other-day they would write a science journal entry on their plants growth progress.
  aburgin01 | Apr 29, 2016 |
An unnamed narrator and her/his mother plant a garden each year, encompassing every color of the rainbow as they do so.

This book is very basic, with a simple straightforward storyline and pretty but fairly plain illustrations of flowers in every color of the rainbow. A fun extra is the graduated length of pages in the middle of the book each with a different color along the edge, so that a whole rainbow is visible at once.

Despite its simplicity (or perhaps because of it), this book makes for a nice, gentle read with a loved child, serving as a perfect naptime or bedtime selection. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Apr 9, 2016 |
Planting a Rainbow is a beautiful book about all the many different colored plants there are. It goes through different types of plants with illustrations and their names and then sorts them into the colors of the rainbow. This book is a modern fantasy.
  Jcadd13 | Oct 21, 2015 |
Plant the rainbow is a really good example of a multimodal book. The book goes through the process of growing an extremely colorful garden, or fruits, vegetables, and other plants. This can be used to talk about plants, about colors, and about the process of life growing. Our group did a multimodal lesson on this by creating our own garden. I think this book would be very helpful in the classroom for a science lesson about how plants grow. I remember learning about that as a child, and this book could have been a great introduction to that process. My reading of this book is pretty straightforward. It is a book teaching the basics of plant growth, in ways children can understand. The illustrations in this book are great, because they are colorful and very basic so children can understand them. ( )
  Tkahoun | Oct 13, 2015 |
I brought this book in for class on our day for multimodal books. I gave this story a four out of five stars because I think that it is a great way to incorporate art into the classroom. This book was about how to start a flower garden. It started to explain how you plant the bulbs and then you start to watch them grow. Some of the pages had interesting designs. one page had 6 pages attached to it showing the different colors of flowers. This story was pertained to younger children, to show them ways to grow flowers. It was meant to be a multimodal book. The illustrations look like they were painted. I liked the illustrations, but the background was just white. The flowers were colorful, but it was hard with the background being white. A teacher would use this in a younger classroom by showing them how to plant a garden full of flowers. This book should give teachers plenty ideas of how to incorporate art into a classroom. ( )
  j.swancutt | Oct 11, 2015 |

This educational and enjoyable book helps children understand how to plant bulbs, seeds, and seedlings, and nurture their growth. “The stylized representations of flower species are labeled throughout, allowing young children to get an idea of how each flower type contributes to the rainbow effect.”--Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:13 -0400)

A mother and child plant a rainbow of flowers in the family garden.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible