The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem van…

The Story of Mankind (1921)

by Hendrik Willem van Loon

Member:sjmccreary
Title:The Story of Mankind
Authors:Hendrik Willem van Loon (Author)
Info:Liveright, Black & Gold edition
Collections:Your library, To read, Nook
Tags:nonfiction, historical, Newbery, @ 909

The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem Van Loon (1921)

First edition, very good condition
  EllenBeu | May 10, 2015 |
Didn't read this, just thumbed through it out of curiosity because it's the first winner of the Newbery. The updates, fyi, don't appear to fix the original, but rather just tack on new stuff at the end. It does seem to be charming and interesting enough to deserve accolades *in context* of its time and place. However, there are too many errors, too much Euro-centrism, etc. for it to have much value to modern children. I enjoyed thumbing through it but would not encourage my children to read it.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This is a book that belonged to my grandfather, it's the 1947 edition. I fell in love with the illustrations and is probably one of the reasons I love history. I've added 3 photographs of pages with illustrations that took my fancy. The first - of the universe with the sign (Here we Live) at first worried me a little - the vastness OUT THERE but I was very very young at the time. Now it reminds me of something that might come from a Douglas Adams book...perhaps he read Van Loon too. ;) ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I absolutely loved this book. Even if you are interested in history, you can't possibly learn it all. This book hits the most important highlights of world history with just enough in-depth information to let you figure out if you want to do further reading into particular topic. I like the storytelling way it is written,Van Loon adds a smattering of wit to keep it from being dry and unreadable as history can be. It may perhaps be a bit dated from a scientific standpoint, just because it was written a long time ago, but that is easily overlooked and may even add a bit of charm to the book. The copy I bought was a 1939 pocketbook print, but I have now bought an illustrated copy that has been updated to include the breakup of the USSR. I'm looking forward to flipping through the pictures and reading the updated bits just to see if the feel of the original book has been kept. I believe the additions were partly written by the original author's son and one other person. ( )
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |

Hendrik Willem Van Loonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sperry, ArmstrongIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"What is the use of a book without pictures?" said Alice.
To Jimmie
We live under the shadow of a gigantic question mark.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0871401754, Paperback)

Anyone who can chronicle world history from 500,000 B.C. to present times--and do so in a lively, entertaining style--deserves a medal. Luckily, the bestowers of the very first Newbery Medal in 1922 thought so, too. The warm, personable tone of Hendrik Willem van Loon's writing lends itself to true learning in a way that stern, dry textbooks never do. In the introduction, he describes climbing a tower in Rotterdam in his youth. Years later, the perspective at the top inspired the author to develop a metaphor of history as a "mighty Tower of Experience, which Time has built amidst the endless fields of bygone ages."

This genuinely enjoyable charmer, for history buffs and the historically challenged alike, covers human history from prehistoric times, when our earliest ancestors were learning to communicate with grunts, right through to the issues of the latter 20th century: gay rights, Arab-Israeli conflicts, and health and fitness. Revised and updated several times since 1921, van Loon's inviting classic is filled with stories (and witty parenthetical asides) that bring history alive. His pen-and-ink illustrations, maps, and animated chronology contribute to the cozy, round the fireplace aspect of the book. (Ages 12 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:03 -0400)

The classic history of all ages, for all ages, updated in a new version for the twenty-first century.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,169,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible