A Christmas Grace by Anne Perry

A Christmas Grace

by Anne Perry

Since Charlotte Pitt is sick, her sister, Emily Radley, responds to their aunt's summons to Charlotte to come to her in Ireland. Their Aunt Susannah is dying and may not last until Christmas. When Emily arrives, she finds that the small Irish village is also dying under the weight of an unsolved murder. Then another stranger arrives and stirs up memories of the murdered man. Will history repeat itself? Or will Emily be able to uncover the truth, and in so doing restore life to the village?

I've always liked Emily, who has sometimes assisted Thomas Pitt in delicate murder investigations among the upper class. This was one of the more enjoyable Christmas novellas for me since it features Emily. However, the plot relies on an improbable coincidence and illogical assumptions that I found difficult to accept. Recommended with reservations to fans of Perry's Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 21, 2013 |
I preferred the other two Anne Perry Christmas novels that I've listened to recently. The mystery wasn't compelling to me and the reason it needed to be solved was less so. Still a pleasant listen. ( )
  readrunandrepeat | Apr 3, 2013 |
This novel featured Charlotte Pitt’s younger sister, Emily, who felt guilted by her husband to go to Connomara, Ireland to take care of her dying aunt. There’s a shipwreck shortly after her arrival and a man is washed ashore and is brought to it brings memories back for the people of the dying village of last shipwreck. Emily can’t resist the challenge of discovering who murdered the first shipwreck survivor while caring for her ailing aunt. ( )
  Kathy89 | Oct 15, 2009 |
Another really enjoyable novel from Anne Perry, I didn't actually read this navel at Christmastime as I would normally try to but it was less important than with others as it was less centred on Christmas themes in the secular sense. The story was powerful and interesting. ( )
  susanpenter | Apr 24, 2009 |
I have come to look forward to Anne Perry's little Christmas books. They are always a delight, and each one gives us a more intimate look at one of Ms. Perry's lesser characterizations from her extensive bibliography. This book focuses on Charlotte Pitt's sister, Emily Radway. I have always loved Emily in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt books, and this book gives us a whole new look at the wonderfully fashionable Emily. She sets off to visit a sick, estranged aunt in the western part of Ireland, just before Christmas in 1895. She finds a dying village when she gets there, and promises to try to find out the answer to an old mystery which caused the death of a young shipwreck victim seven years ago. Ms. Perry gives us a wonderful description of Connemarra and the sea that rules the lives of the people that live there. Thank you again for a lovely little gift Ms. Perry. ( )
  Romonko | Feb 16, 2009 |
Dedicated to all those
who long for a second chance
Emily Radley stood in the center of her magnificent drawing room and considered where she should have the Christmas tree placed so that it would show to the best advantage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345502035, Hardcover)

When the season brings a chill, nothing warms the heart or elevates the spirits like a new novel by Anne Perry, whom the Chicago Sun-Times calls “the most adroit sleight-of-hand practitioner since Agatha Christe.” Perry’s gifts are on full display in A Christmas Grace–a hope-filled tale of forgiveness that is rich with mystery and intrigue.

With Christmas just around the corner, Thomas Pitt’s sister-in-law, Emily Radley, is suddenly called from London to be with her dying aunt. Leaving her husband and two children behind, Emily makes the long journey to an all-but-forgotten town in the county of Connemara, on the western coast of Ireland. She soon discovers that a tragic legacy haunts the once closeknit community.

Violent storms ravage the coast and keep alive painful memories of an unsolved murder and unsettling fears that a killer may still live among the residents of the lonely Irish town. Determined to lighten her aunt’s heart and help the troubled community, Emily sets out to unmask the culprit. When a lone shipwreck survivor washes up onshore, he brings with him not only the key to solving the terrible crime but the opportunity for the townspeople to make peace with the past–and with one another.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:35 -0400)

With Christmas just around the corner, Thomas Pitt's sister-in-law, Emily Radley, is suddenly called from London to be with her dying aunt. Leaving her husband and two children behind, Emily makes the long journey to an all-but-forgotten town in the county of Connemara, on the western coast of Ireland. She soon discovers that a tragic legacy haunts the once close-knit community.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,143,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible