A Face at the Window by Sarah Graves

I Absolutely HATED this book!

I have read the rest of the series and have purchased it for the library. But I'll tell you, after reading this book, I'll never read nor purchase another one again.

These use to be a "nice" sort of "homey" mystery with a good story line about family, friends, and good neighbors. However, this is a nightmare turned bad.

There was little if any story line, it was all about kidnapping, terror, violence, hatred, maliciousness, just bad stuff and the worse part, it was unrelenting...right up till near the end.

This left a bad taste in my mouth. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Wow! I've enjoyed all the Home Repair is Homicide books but this one is outstanding. Jake's past rears up again, this time the man she saw kill her mother is finally facing a trial. When he disappears while on bail Jake is convinced that he is coming to get her. Her "witness statement" seems to have worried him, a lot. Considering she was only 3-years-old, what was in the statement that was so worrying?

There is so much packed into this story, the tension just keeps building and building. Heart-stopping in places and wow, what an ending!

I'm not sure what Graves will come up with next but I'm looking forward to finding out. ( )
  bookswoman | Sep 15, 2015 |
I admit it. I didn't want to like this book. For one thing, I've done my share of home renovations and I'm pretty handy with power tools. My first thought was that Ms. Graves was using the home improvement tips as a gimmick. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the main character, Jake Tiptree, actually was adept at repairs. Even more satisfying, she didn't mind admitting she didn't know it all -- she was willing to learn.

The rugged setting of Eastport, Maine was a great backdrop for all the action and an integral part of the storyline. When Jake is pursued by Ozzie Campbell, the man who long ago murdered her mother, he doesn't just come after her by himself. He sends a couple of former "juvies", Marky Larson and Anthony Colapietro, to kidnap hostages in his effort to menace Jake. From the biting toddler, Lee, to the teenage sitter, Helen, the victims try their best to fight off their attackers, even as Marky and Anthony apply their own special ruthlessness in their quest to complete the job and get paid. As someone who worked with "juvies", I found the characterizations of both Marky and Anthony well done. Ms. Graves doesn't clone the boys -- instead, each has his own demons and desires that drive the bad behavior, and their own battles with each other increase the danger for Jake, Lee, and Helen as things spiral out of control.

For Jake, the guilt of knowing her own past has brought this danger to the people who matter to her almost proves too much to bear, making her even more determined to save them. Those home improvement skills she's been honing since she moved from New York to Maine serve her well. Logical, determined, and even courageous against the odds, she's an enjoyable heroine. It's hard not to root for her as she's facing what seem to be insurmountable odds, whether she's out to rescue Lee from the men who snatched her or in a leaky boat in rough waters with passengers who would sooner kill her than help her get to shore safely. Jake is the kind of character to restore your faith in your fellow human beings, the friend or neighbor we all would like to have. ( )
  sarambarton | Aug 16, 2013 |
I am disappointed in the direction this series has taken. The cover says that this is a book in the "Home Repair is Homicide Mystery" series but it isn't really. This is exactly the kind of book that happens when an author is expected to produce another book in a popular series but either doesn't want to or can't. So the author writes an entirely different book and then uses a crow bar to force it into the series. So the son goes off to college and the husband goes out to sea, Dad goes on his honeymoon, the best friend goes on vacation and the dogs go to sleep-away obedience school.

R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

After more than three decades eluding justice, the man who murdered Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree's mother is finally about to stand trial--until he vanishes into thin air. Jake has a terrible foreboding of where Ozzie Campbell will turn up next. And while the local police chief is sure she's overreacting, the truth is far worse than even Jake's worst fears.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,222,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible