The Violet Fairy Book by Andrew Lang

The Violet Fairy Book (1901)

by Andrew Lang

Series: Andrew Lang's Fairy Books (7)

Recently added byprivate library, armc, 2Nowell, antimuzak, BookEndsIntl, leselotte, MerryMary, linzy, KristenRing, mak3

A collection of fairy tales from around the world, this is interesting, if a bit redundant. I became a bit tired of the "boy meets girl, they fall in love, one of them becomes enchanted by and evil something or other and the other saves them" routine. However, I was surprised at how often it was the girl who saved the boy. I enjoyed the tales which were offbeat, like the Korean frogs who decided to travel or the man who had so many children he didn't know what to do. A couple of the stories were downright gruesome with murder and mayhem. I loved the ending of one, "and they lived happily until they died." ( )
  MrsLee | Sep 21, 2014 |
Overall, it's a good compilation. I read all but a little bit of one story (the near-end of that one didn't set well with me). It has quite a few stories. It seemed a good overview of this sort of fairy tale. I'm not sure which regions these ones were from. ( )
  nules | Feb 13, 2010 |
This was the first anthology by Andrew Lang I read, and after doing so I was hooked. I marvelled at how uniquely told all of the tales within this collection are, some are known and others much more obscure. I find this more of an adult fascination that arose in me for the need that was hardly taken care of in children's fantasy literature, which Lang takes care of. I realize that some of the stories are much more gruesomely told even more so, than Grimm's depiction of other similar tales. I loved the artwork and I now wish to read through all of the collection of his anthology I now own, hunting for my favorite illustration and blow it up, and put it in my room.
Somehow, I noticed it was quite easier for me to get drawn in and read the Violet Fairy Book without having to work at it, than it was for me to really get into the Red and I wonder if that had anything to do with when the works were written? Because I know Lang compiled the Red as his second collection, which came following the Blue, and within a span of time later on, did the Violet. ( )
  nieva21 | Dec 6, 2009 |
There are many 'exotic' fairy tales in this volume, with stories originally in Swahili and Japanese, from Italy and Romania.

I haven't had much exposure to African tales, and I thought that the emphasis on animals and their wisdom over man was quite different from European tales. ( )
  makaiju | Nov 21, 2007 |

Andrew Langprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ford, H. J.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lurie, AllisonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Venables, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Violet Myers is dedicated the Violet Fairy Book
Long, long ago there stood in the midst of a country covered with lakes a vast stretch of moorland called the Tontlawald, on which no man ever dared set foot.

Roumania, Japan, Serbia, Lithuania, Africa, Portugal, and Russia are among the sources of these 35 stories that tell of a haunted forest, chests of gold coins, a magical dog, and a man who outwits a dragon. Perhaps the best English versions available of these classic stories. 74 illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:49 -0400)

A collection of Japanese, Serbian, Lithuanian, African, Portuguese, Rumanian and Russian stories.

116 wanted2 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible