Usborne Beginners: Under the Sea by Fiona…

Usborne Beginners: Under the Sea

by Fiona Patchett

This is a good example of a book for a read aloud for younger grades such as first and second. It would be a great opportunity for the students to learn how to follow along with the pictures to connect better with the chronological order being displayed for them. This book could be given to the students as an independent reading book after the initial read aloud took place so they can explore the pictures and information even more on their own. This book could be used as a decent reference book when curious about ocean life or when researching facts. This book would also be great at explaining the different world habitats and the different biomes.
  apecaro01 | Mar 13, 2017 |
I would use this book with a 2nd or 3rd grade classroom that they would be able to use for research. It would need to be read with a parents for 2nd, but at this age, they are learning about biomes and this book is very informational on the ocean and they could use it to gather information. I would also use this book as an independent read with older kids (4-5th) to allow them to learn more about something that interests them, and keep it in a part of the library where they can choose books of the like where they can be exposed to informational texts rather than fictional. It could also be used for a solo research project with older kids too that would allow them to hit writing standards of gathering information.
  rstrohmeier | Mar 12, 2017 |
This is a great book to use in a first or second grade classroom. The book is not too long and is easy to read for new readers. There is a lot of information that is found on each page, but it is comprehensible for lower aged students. This book could be utilized in either a language arts classroom or a science classroom when students are studying various environments or ocean life. The book offers many facts that are intriguing for students and the illustrations are very detailed and grabs the attention of readers.
  jthodesen01 | Mar 9, 2017 |
This information book was full of facts about underwater creatures. I would include it in my future classroom, because it delivered the facts effectively. Additionally, I loved the mix between illustrations and photographs. This book could be used in 1st-3rd grade classrooms, and would be fun in an "under the sea" themed week. ( )
  megfeyer | Feb 15, 2017 |
This book is about the life under the sea. It has good information about animals under the sea such as: sharks, dolphins, octopi, whales, jellyfish, turtles, and penguins. It also teaches kids a bit about divers. I like this book because there are real life pictures, but also drawn and cartoon illustrations. It covers a variety of animals in the ocean, which would give a teacher more opportunities to interest all the children. I would use this book in a Pre-K classroom to a 3rd grade classroom. I think it is a simple enough book to get kids started with the topic. It is also broad enough to provide lots of ideas and opportunities for more specific research. It has quite a few elements of nonfiction, so you could point those out to the students. I would use this book either in a nonfiction unit or when introducing an ocean life unit.
  JeniseRedding | Nov 12, 2014 |

Presents illustrated information to some of the animals that live in the sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,578,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible