The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey

The Satanic Bible (1969)

by Anton Szandor LaVey

English (29)  German (1)  All languages (30)
Much better than Christian dogma. This is well written, and makes sense. ( )
  ethanlu121 | May 2, 2016 |
I had read this book years ago. Although I can not presume to know the author's true motives for writing such a book, I do know that it is very easily mis-understood. I do agree with many of the observations he has against the church. To a certain degree, some of what the author has described has come true (a.k.a. the church sex scandals that are going on today).

What I do not agree with is the authors needs to create rituals. Why did he do this? Is it that he knew it would be controversial and sell many copies of the book? Did he really want to start a cult following?

I would recommend this book be read by everyone, just as I recommend the Bible be read by everyone. It is good to get the other perspective. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
I have always been curious about the occult/witchcraft so that is the only reason I want to read this book. I am not a satanist and I am not religious but I do have spiritual beliefs.
  EvilCreature | Jan 2, 2016 |
I read a few chapters. I didn't get to finish it.
  AshleyDioses | Aug 1, 2015 |
1/3 general atheism, 1/3 reactionary to Christianity, and 1/3 random "occult" gibberish for shock value. The problem is, it's not shocking. Instead it just comes across as juvenile, and reactionary. I understand the appeal for those who see the problems with Christianity, but LaVeyan Satanism is something that literally would not exist if it weren't for Christianity. It's a complete 180 to Christianity.

I agree with the atheistic bits, roll my eyes at the self absorbed anti-Christian bits, and don't understand the point of the mythological occult bits as they are self defeating, not to mention author admittedly total rubbish. Anton states several times that the mythical and occult elements are not real, so why emphasize them so much? I have a hard time understanding the point of ritual for ritual sake. If you are aware of the effects of ritual, how can partaking in an admittedly fake ritual be of any use? I don't really think it can.

From reading this book, it seems to me that LaVayan Satanists may just be atheists who enjoy ritual, and are particularly not fond of Christianity to the level that they still allow it to define them; subscribing to precisely inverted teachings.

There may have been a time that Satanism was edgy or shocking, but that time has long since passed and I don't think that it has any more value than that. ( )
1 vote heradas | May 31, 2015 |

Anton Szandor LaVeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, Burton H.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Diane

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380015390, Mass Market Paperback)

One might expect The Satanic Bible at least to offer a few prancing demons or a virgin sacrifice, but if you hopped this train expecting a tour of the house of horrors, you're on the wrong ride. Far from a manual for conquering the realms of earth, air, fire, and water, The Satanic Bible is Anton LaVey's manifesto of a new religion separate from the "traditional" Judeo-Christian definitions of Satanism. While LaVey rails against the deceit of the Christian church and white magicians, he busily weaves his own deceptions.

The Satanic Bible claims the heritage of a horde of evil deities--Bile', Dagon, Moloch, and Yao Tzin to name a few--but these ancient gods have no coherent connection between each other or to Satanism, except that all have been categorized by Christianity as "evil." Calling on these ancient names like a magician shouting, "Abracadabra," LaVey attempts to shatter the classical depiction of Satanism as a cult of black mass and child sacrifice. As the smoke clears, he leads us through a surprisingly logical argument in favor of a life focused on self-indulgence. The Satanic Bible is less bible and more philosophy (with a few rituals thrown in to keep us entertained), but this philosophy is the backbone of a religion that, until LaVey entered the scene, was merely a myth of the Christian church. It took LaVey, and The Satanic Bible, to turn this myth into a legitimate public religion. --Brian Patterson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Called "The Black Pope" by many of his followers, Anton La Vey began the road to High Priesthood of the Church of Satan when he was only 16 years old and an organ player in a carnival: "On Saturday night I would see men lusting after halfnaked girls dancing at the carnival, and on Sunday morning when I was playing the organ for tent-show evangelists at the other end of the carnival lot, I would see these same men sitting in the pews with their wives and children, asking God to forgive them and purge them of carnal desires. And the next Saturday night they'd be back at the carnival or some other place of indulgence. I knew then that the Christian Church thrives on hypocrisy, and that man's carnal nature will out!" From that time early in his life his path was clear. Finally, on the last night of April, 1966 - Walpurgisnacht, the most important festival of the believers in witchcraft - LaVey shaved his head in the tradition of Ancient executioners and announced the formation of The Church Of Satan. He had seen the need for a church that would recapture man's body and his carnal desires as objects of celebration. "Since worship of fleshly things produces pleasure," he said, "there would then be a temple of glorious indulgence".… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,868,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible