Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13…

Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Jim Lovell

Member:an_eternalstudent
Title:Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13
Authors:Jim Lovell
Info:Houghton Mifflin (T) (1994), Hardcover, 378 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:space exploration

Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (1994)

A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts by Andrew Chaikin (paulkid)
    paulkid: I found Jim Lovell's account of Apollo 13 more gripping and technically explicative than any of Chaikin's stories. Of course, "Lost Moon" did not address the geological exploration of the moon; Chaikin's book is a good choice if you're interested in that.
    Ice by Shane Johnson (dukeallen)

English (21)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
A gripping story including a bit of what came before the launch and a very realistic and detailed story of events in the ship and with the many groups and individuals on the ground working to make it possible for the astronauts to get back home. The tale is told in the third person by one of Jim Lovell who was on that ship. The dialogue is very realistically presented which helps put the reader into the scene. At the end we get the report on what went wrong. Great book. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
3480. Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13, by Jim Lovell & Jeffrey Kluger (read 27 Jun 2017) This is a detailed account of the mission in April 1970 which planned to land men on the moon for the third time but an explosion made a landing impossible and the fearsome task was to prevent the death of the three astronauts. One of the authors, Jim Lovell, was on the mission, but the book is told in the third person..The book is full of much technical detail and, while the danger the men faced is gripping, I found myself not able to understand much of the terminology and felt that a better job could have been done to explain such. For instance, there was much talk about a necessary "burn" which was successfully accomplished--yet I, at least, never knew what the "burn" was and how it accomplished the feat of saving the men. I never saw the movie and possibly it did a better job of explaining some of the mechanics of the voyage. And since I knew one of the authors of the book 23 years later helped write the book I always knew the dire situation would be resolved successfully. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 27, 2017 |
A great, awe-inspiring read. Enjoyed every minute of it. ( )
  Steven_Burgauer | Jan 19, 2017 |
Favorite Line: Marilyn Lovell reacting to request of news media to put a broadcast tower in her front yard, "If landing on the moon wasn't enough of a news story for them, I don't know why NOT landing on the moon should be. You tell the networks that they're not to put one piece of equipment on my property from now through the end of this flight. And if anyone has any problem with that, tell them they can take it up with my husband. I'm expecting him home on Friday."

Watched movie "Apollo 13" with Tom Hanks playing Jim Lovell while reading book. ( )
  Kayvette | Mar 2, 2016 |
In April 1970, during the glory days of the Apollo space program, NASA sent Navy Captain Jim Lovell and two other astronauts on America's fifth mission to the moon. Only fifty-five hours into the flight of Apollo 13, disaster struck: a mysterious explosion rocked the ship, and soon its oxygen and power began draining away. Commander Lovell and his crew watched in alarm as the cockpit grew darker, the air grew thinner, and the instruments winked out... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 22, 2015 |

Lovell, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kluger, Jeffreymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Herrmann, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

This true adventure is dedicated to those earthbound astronauts: my wife, Marilyn, and my children, Barbara, Jay, Susan, and Jeffrey, who shared with me the fears and anxieties of four days in April, 1970.
- Jim Lovell
With love to my family — nuclear and extended, past and present — for providing an always stable orbit.
- Jeffrey Kluger
Prologue
Nobody knew how the stories about the poison pills got started.
This is a book, not a film.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671534645, Mass Market Paperback)

On April 13, 1970, three American astronauts were on their way to the moon when a mysterious explosion rocked their ship, forcing them to abandon the main ship and spend four days in the tiny lunar module which was intended to support two men for two days. A harrowing story of danger, courage and brilliant off-the-cuff engineering solutions which resulted in a dramatic rescue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:54 -0400)

Chronicles the rescue mission to return the crewmen of the Apollo 13 spacecraft safely to earth following an explosion on board.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,287,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible