dismiss

Red Dragon (1981)

by Thomas Harris

Series: Hannibal Lecter Series (1)

A second family has been massacred by the terrifying serial killer the press has christened "The Tooth Fairy." Special Agent Jack Crawford turns to the one man who can help restart a failed investigation, Will Graham. Graham is the greatest profiler the FBI ever had, but the physical and mental scars of capturing Hannibal Lecter have caused Graham to go into early retirement. Now, Graham must turn to Lecter for help.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, mad_yosemite, levipup, BritniGallegos, mfalicoff, treyshman, nojifier, Arina40, Squidget, Cabiel
Legacy LibrariesNorman Mailer

English (78)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (80)
I always meant to get around to these books ever since seeing the movies, and decided that their time had come. I ate this one with relish.
Still, I somehow thought there would be a lot more to it than what there was. It wasn't bad, and I had a good time, but I think I've been a victim of the movie industry. Some of what I've seen is better than what I read. It happens. Not too often, thank goodness, but it does happen. Perhaps if I had read this first... but alas, I know the series was very popular on its own first before being made into films. I guess I wanted it to be much better than what it was. (Granted, I watched some of the Hannibal tv series and was amazed. I'm afraid my real reason for reading this was for MORE and MORE. I got addicted. :)
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
The beginning of the Hannibal Lecter series, this novel still packs a considerable punch. While it was a little over the top and some parts lagged, it was still a successful thriller that delivered all the goods that a typical book of its kind would. I intend to read the entire series and check out the most of what Thomas Harris has to offer.

3 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Nov 25, 2019 |
Interesting commentary on the human condition. What makes a psychopath? ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
I finally got around to listening to this, the first in the Hannibal Lecter books. And I was not disappointed. It was a bit on the grisly side for my tastes, which is what I expected and one of the reasons it took me so long to get around to listening to it. But the story itself was interesting. There was no explicit animal abuse, although there was reference to it, and that would probably have stopped me from reading. It's a trigger for me, one that keeps me awake at night.

This book was first published in 1981, but not as dated as I expected. Of course, no cell phones, investigative procedures were more difficult.

I've never read The Silence of the Lambs, even though I have seen the movie, but perhaps I'll be brave enough to read it now.

I bought an audio edition of this book. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 3, 2019 |
Will Graham is called back into the fold of the FBI in order to get into the mind of The Tooth Fairy, a psychopath who has killed two families and may quite possibly be on the hunt for his 3rd. Graham has enough troubles trying to understand the murdered families and get into the mind of this killer, but the plot reaches an amazing boiling point when Graham must enlist aid from an unlikely source. Dr. Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter may be locked away for his bazaar crimes, but now he may also be the only one truly able to help Will get into this killers mind before he strikes again. The hunt is on and the question becomes what side of the fence Dr. Lecter is on. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Mar 26, 2019 |
But I have to acknowledge my gut response to Mr. Harris's thriller. It hits us in our outrage, and titillates the part of us all that would like to get rid of evil with a gun.

Thomas Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amante, MarcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
López de Bullrich, ElisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valassaari, Risto S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind. - Alphonse Bertillon
. . . For Mercy has a human heart, Pity a human face, And Love, the human form divine, And Peace, the human dress. - William Blake, Songs of Innocence (The Divine Image)
Cruelty has a Human Heart, and Jealousy a Human Face, Terror the Human Form Divine, and Secrecy the Human Dress.
The Human Dress is forged Iron,
The Human Form is fiery Forge.
The Human Face a Furnace seal'd,
The Human Heart its hungry Gorge.
-William Blake, Songs of Experience
(A Divine Image)
I want to tell you the circumstances in which I first encountered Hannibal Lecter, M.D.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible