Lizard Music (NYRB Children's Collection) by…

Lizard Music (NYRB Children's Collection) (original 1976; edition 2011)

by Daniel Pinkwater

Member:agmlll
Title:Lizard Music (NYRB Children's Collection)
Authors:Daniel Pinkwater
Info:NYR Children's Collection (2011), Hardcover, 160 pages
Tags:NYRB Classics

Lizard Music by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (1976)

Recently added byprivate library, jzob, driko, Morgan_Mott, Spoonbridge, mimihaha
    The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron (agmlll)
    5 Novels by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (flemmily)
    flemmily: Essential Daniel Pinkwater, I consider these books the "philosophies for life" section of my personal Library

I read this because I found it on a list of Top 10 Adventure Books for Kids. It was an adventure all right, but I didn't quite get the point. Lots of wild coincidences and bizarre new worlds, but no growth of the characters at all. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Publishers Weekly, August 1, 1976, review of Lizard Music, p. 846; October 18, 1976, review of Lizard Music, p. 64
  AthenaMuze | Jul 24, 2010 |
I held off reading Daniel Pinkwater for a long time. I thought the books would be gimmicky and too goofy. At least when it came to this one, I was wrong. When I finally read Lizard Music (as a bedtime story to my stepson) I was blown away by how funny the writing was AND how much the book made me think.

The story is told in first person ("I went down the street..." not "Joey went down the street...") and is about Victor, a boy who starts to believe that the earth is being invaded by aliens. The way the story progresses is not at all the usual "space-ships descended fromthe night sky" way. Victor starts to notice strange coincidences, and the way they start to creep into the story is eerie and disturbing. But the book stays funny and not (too) creepy, both because Victor is telling the story (so obviously he survives), and because he is a confident character (he is staying at home while his parents are on vacation). Along the way Victor meets some other engaging characters including the Chicken Man, a number of (you guessed) Lizards, and a turtle who saves his life. To tell more would give too much away. Suffice to say, this book is worth reading as a kid AND re-reading as an adult. ( )
  shoebacca | May 14, 2008 |
I loved this as a kid too. Not quite science fiction, just odd. The only thing that might make it difficult for subsequent generations to relate to is the protagonist's love of Walter Cronkite. When I was a kid, that was a quirky contemporary detail, but for anyone under thirty it probably provokes the response, "Walter Who?" ( )
  billmcn | Aug 13, 2007 |
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I loved the wacky humor and the somewhat sci-fi plot. When the main character is left home alone while his parents are on vacation, he stays up late watching old movies. One night he discovers that after the station goes off the air, a new broadcast comes on -- a band of lizards playing musical instruments. This leads him on a hilarious adventure to discover the meaning of the lizard music. ( )
  FionaCat | Jul 20, 2007 |
For Mike, Leonard, and the rest of the Chicago boys
I figured that Mom and Dad were having some kind of trouble and needed to go away by themselves.
D. Manus Pinkwater is Daniel Pinkwater.

When left to take care of himself, a young boy becomes involved with a community of intelligent lizards who tell him of a little-known invasion from outer space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,995,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible