The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill…

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (2005)

by Bill Watterson

English (36)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (39)
Every Calvin and Hobbes strip, beginning to end. It's the likability of Peanuts with the humor of Dennis the Menace. I'll never know how Bill Watterson came up with so many unique strips using only four characters -- one of which is imaginary (or is he?). Peanuts added and dropped new faces all the time and Dennis the Menace was only one panel.

When I was younger, I got my fix of C & H collections in the library, but reading them in chronological order, you can see the scatters and misfires in the beginning, the peaks in the middle, and the shopworn gags in the end.

At this point in time, you either know Calvin and Hobbes or you don't, so I shouldn't need to provide a recommendation. It's expensive, but a piece of Americana is worth it. Just don't let your kid take the crayons to it. ( )
  theWallflower | Oct 21, 2015 |
I've been working my way through this first volume of the complete set of Calvin and Hobbes for a few months now. What fun it is to revisit all these strips, in order, in such a beautiful presentation. Reading them in this book, with the dates for all the strips clearly printed underneath them, makes me wonder to what extent I ever actually read these in the newspaper. I have vivid memories of reading the individual collections as a kid, but looking at the dates of the strips I realized that it was unlikely I was looking at the paper when these were printed--the first ones anyway. I was only four years old when the strip started. That is a bit of a startlement--Calvin and Hobbes was so much a part of my childhood, it feels odd that the whole thing began so long before I could have had any appreciation of it at all. But in any case, this is a lovely collection (I have the boxed set of the complete paperback edition) with a nice introduction by Watterson and all the "additional" artwork from the individual collections. Recommended. ( )
  lycomayflower | Aug 30, 2015 |
The dog gnawed on volume two and I thought, "will my husband miss the dog all that much?"

Watterson never drew a single C&H cartoon that I did not love. Not one in all those years. So naturally I had to own them all. After the dog episode they spent three years under my son's bed: one year at one residence and two in another. We tried softcovers, but they all disintegrated with constant wear from the children. And they were woefully incomplete. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
Calvin is the paragon of a combination of satire, intellect, and philosophy. Plus the kid's a major ass sometimes. I love him for it, the crazy bugger. One of my favorite strips is when he's hammering nails into the coffee table and his mother walks in and yells "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" and Calvin, my hero, says with the blankest look on his face "Is that a trick question". If this doesn't prompt you to read it, you have no sense of humor and can't be my friend. In a serious tone, which I didn't know I had, I say to you- read this comic for it is worth your time. Calvin is there for you, to make you laugh, to make you think and to make you imagine. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 13, 2014 |
Excellent collection of books, a must have for any C&H lover. The insights from Watterson as well to the process, the struggle to get it published, refusing to commercialized it, and the going out on top are wonderful as well. ( )
  Luftwaffe_Flak | Feb 6, 2014 |
Book one: So lon, Pop!
Book two: Call it.
Book three: Hey Mom, can I get some plastic surgery?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0740748475, Hardcover)

An Excerpt from Bill Watterson's Introduction:

"I’ve loved comic strips as long as I can remember. As a kid, I knew I wanted to be either a cartoonist or an astronaut. The latter was never much of a possibility, as I don’t even like riding in elevators. I kept my options open until seventh grade, but when I stopped understanding math and science, my choice was made. There is great personal satisfaction in attending to detail and quality, and I remain very proud of the standards the strip met day after day. I also liked the responsibility of knowing that, succeed or fail, it was all my own doing. This approach kept the strip very honest and personal--everything having to do with Calvin and Hobbes expressed my own ideas, my own values, my own way. I wrote every word, drew every line, and painted every color. It’s a rare gift to find such fulfilling work and I tried to show my appreciation by giving the strip everything I had to offer."

Exclusive Images from the New Collection More Calvin and Hobbes Books

The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book
Weirdos from Another Planet!
Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:04 -0400)

Brings together every "Calvin and Hobbes" cartoon that has ever appeared in syndication, along with stories and poems from classic collections.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible