The Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary

The Luckiest Girl (original 1958; edition 1981)

by Beverly Cleary

Member:sandykaypax
Title:The Luckiest Girl
Authors:Beverly Cleary
Info:Dell (1981), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:YA, high school

The Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary (1958)

I take back all the snarky things I said about this book, I clearly (Cleary?) had it confused with some other malt shop romance. I found this to be a solid portrayal of adolescence. Shelley is perhaps a little more self-aware than the average teen-aged girl, but that's the only quibble I could find with this delightful story. Recommended! And thanks for the push, Wendy. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
3.5 stars. Cute! It was really funny to read a "contemporary" book from the 1950s though! I was like, "Ummm... what's a slicker?" My husband said it was a raincoat. Haha! I felt like I should have read the book with a dictionary next to me! It was cute to see what a teenage/high school romance would have been like 50 years ago though! :)

It was cute, clean, and cheesy, but in a good way. I thought it had a nice "message" about the relationship between mothers and daughters. Daughters are trying to grow up, but mothers want them to just be their little girls forever... which can be a source of contention. But if you try to see where the other one is coming from, you can have some understanding between the two. :) ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Clearly Beverly Cleary 2012, Book 9. ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary (yes, of Ramona-fame), is the absolutely adorable tale of sixteen-year-old Shelley, a young Oregonian who spends a year in California with friends of her family. Normally, I would approach any "adorable" YA novel with hesitation--sixteen-year-olds are so rarely cute. But Shelley is an incredibly endearing character--sweet, but not saccharine; inquisitive, but not naive. This makes her journey in California, and her trials in early dating, surprisingly readable.Written in 1958, this is certainly a quaint book, written in a time when contractions, or more than a chaste kiss at the novel's conclusion, were apparently taboo. But Cleary paints a very vivid landscape, and populates it with equally vivid people. A few sections featuring Katie, the daughter of Shelley's host parents, feel a bit like the slapstick of the Ramona books; while I love those, wearing vegetables on one's head is more believable in an eight-year-old than a thirteen-year-old. Otherwise, the supporting cast feels startlingly real. There are a surprising number of layers to Shelley's story, despite its apparent simplicity--Cleary tackles school, ambition, homesickness, mother-daughter relationships, and most of all boys, with confidence. All in all, The Luckiest Girl is an utterly charming read. ( )
1 vote PhoebeReading | Nov 24, 2010 |
This book is a little older and doesn't relate to many young girls this day. However it is a good book about a young girl moving out of her house to move to California. She wants to spend time away from her boyfriend and her mother. She loves them both she just feels that she is dating her boyfriend only because she feels like she has to have a boyfriend. Beverly Cleary is a good author and her books are mostly my favorite.
  mdkladke | Apr 22, 2010 |
One Saturday morning early in September Shelley Latham sat at the breakfast table with her mother and father.

Falling in Love . . .

Shelly fells as if she's living in a fantasyland. She's spending the school year in southern California, where flowers bloom in November, oranges grow on trees, and lawns are mowed in winter. When the star of the basketball team smiles at her, Shelly feels as if she's been touch by magic. Now she's about to discover the magic of falling in love!

A bittersweet story of first love from one of America's most beloved children's authors.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:30 -0400)

Shelley has high hopes for her junior year of high school. Everything is going to be different. This year she is going to California to live with family friends and she will be free to run her own life. Now she's about to discover the magic of falling in love-- and a whole lot more!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,817,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible