Introduction to Zen Buddhism by Daisetz…

Introduction to Zen Buddhism (edition 1964)

by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

687None13,811 (3.69)3
Member:jayenbee
Title:Introduction to Zen Buddhism
Authors:Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
Info:Grove P. (1964), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 144 pages

An Introduction to Zen Buddhism by D. T. Suzuki

Recently added byTheBookStop, marriedbachelor, dgeary, private library, djbarnas, iwpoe, NigelPJ, DHPolley
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

If you are expecting a logical explanation of Zen Buddhism in this book you will be sorely disappointed. Suzuki doesn't even attempt to do that (nor should he, in my opinion). Zen does not make sense at all if you approach it that way.

This book is a classic, but I don't recommend reading it as the first book on Zen (Herrigel's approach would probably be more useful for the Western readers), nor do I think it should be read as the last book. It is, after all, an introduction and doesn't try to be more than that. ( )
  Rodo | Apr 27, 2009 |
I thought Christopher Hitchens’ book needlessly ripped into some religions, but after reading this junk I can understand the impulse. Neither the writing nor the philosophy as described seem all that worthy. I could be wrong. There’s probably a good book out there that makes Zen make sense. This ain’t it.

(Full review at my blog) ( )
  KingRat | Jun 17, 2008 |
Very influential in popularizing Zen in the west. From my further reading I feel it represents very much Suzuki's personal interpretation of the Zen tradition, but it has its own place in religious history for introducing many westerners to Zen ( )
  antiquary | Jan 4, 2008 |
With an introduction from Dr. Jung, a small text in itself. To Suzuki's brilliant text. It is my understanding that this introduction by Dr. Jung is consider a classic for Zen in general. Suzuki does write this text for the beginner.

Explains the oriental mind, along with the proncipals of Zen. In such a way, that we of western thought actually have a chance to relate to what is required in our quest to understand Zen Buddhism. This book is for the lay-person and the philosophy major. This book provides a very complete outline of Zen. ( )
  hermit | Nov 18, 2007 |
A very introductory book on Zen Buddism. I found it very useful in understanding this philosophy. ( )
  all4metals | Aug 25, 2007 |

D. T. Suzukiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jung, Carl G.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Buddhism in its course of development has completed a form which distinguishes itself from its so-called primitive or original type—so greatly, indeed, that we are justified in emphasizing its historical division into two schools, Hinayana and Mahayana, or the Lesser Vehicle and the Greater Vehicle of salvation.

One of the world’s leading authorities on Zen Buddhism, D. T. Suzuki was the author of more than a hundred works on the subject in both Japanese and English, and was most instrumental in bringing the teachings of Zen Buddhism to the attention of the Western world. Written in a lively, accessible, and straightforward manner, An Introduction to Zen Buddhism is illuminating for the serious student and layperson alike. Suzuki provides a complete vision of Zen, which emphasizes self-understanding and enlightenment through many systems of philosophy, psychology, and ethics. With a foreword by the renowned psychiatrist Dr. Carl Jung, this volume has been generally acknowledged a classic introduction to the subject for many years. It provides, along with Suzuki’s Essays and Manual of Zen Buddhism, a framework for living a balanced and fulfilled existence through Zen.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:45 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible