Post of Honour by R. F. Delderfield

Post of Honour (1966)

by R. F. Delderfield

This book takes a look at the years of the Great War to the Second War. It is dense and with the previous book and perhaps as a show of the times in which it was written, Delderfield takes on a long journey.

The faults of the first book, changing speakers in one paragraph of dialogue are here in the second. Changing points of view, and often undimensional characters as well. We see the world mostly through the eyes of the Squire, Paul Craddock, but the man seems to walk around in a stupor. He is unconnected to all his children and does not really seem to care about any. He cares more about farm prices then about anything else.

Perhaps this is indicative of being British. His children are an afterthought, and they are an afterthought of the writer as well. A dynasty is here and it is ignored. We of course only see the world through our own eyes, but it would be nice to have tried to show how another generation does not see the world change so much as they see a place to participate.

It is age that shows us that things have changed, and the lead character ends this book shortly after sixty. That he leads a bucolic life might allow us to believe that the entire roaring twenties did not take place. Since we go from the Armistice to the Crash in a blink of an eye.

And then luckily for our hero, he is tipped off that Herr Hitler is more than a little foolish man. It seems like a terrible plot device to have our hero be the only one ready for the Second big show. Since of course the author knows it is coming. It would seem much nicer if he was caught up as all his tenants and friends were.

In all, we get a glimpse of some of the world of Geroge V. Not much. There is a great deal of thought about sex and how good one looks, and can one still have sex when you are on the down side of the time line. Far too much repetition here, and in other thoughts that pad the book out to almost six hundred pages. In the God is an Englishman series, as I recall, we see the world through the eyes of the next generation as well, and that gives us a glimpse to how the Country changed over the course of the Victorian era.

Here we hardly see that at all, and I think we would have had a much richer tale if we had. ( )
  DWWilkin | Sep 30, 2012 |
I thoroughly enjoyed following the next phase of the life of Paul Craddock and English social history. ( )
  rohetherington | Apr 5, 2010 |
Not precisely literature, but great fun, and full of the flavor of early 20th c England, pastoral, nostalgic, somewhat romanticized.
  LadyintheLibrary | Jul 11, 2008 |
A Horseman Riding By was in the USA split and published as two novels. Post of Honor is part 2 of A Horseman Riding By.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034004361X, Paperback)

On village greens throughout Britain, stone memorials stand witness to the Great War and its terrible cost in human life. The remote Devon village of Shallowford is no exception. Many of its men fail to return, and many of those who do are forced to adapt painfully to the changing conditions of country life. As the aftermath of one war gives way to the gathering storm of the next, it is Paul Craddock's faith and firmness that help Shallowford to overcome slump and misery, and to face new dangers with confidence and courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:52 -0400)

The second book in R. F. Delderfield?s acclaimed A Horseman Riding By saga of twentieth-century England is a memorable slice of rural life, as one war gives way to the gathering storm clouds of the next Through hard work and love of the land, Boer War vet Paul Craddock has transformed the sprawling West Country estate of Shallowford. With his wife and three children he enjoys a peaceful country life. But war has begun its inevitable march across England, and this remote corner of Devon cannot escape its cruel destruction. Young farmers of the village?barely men when they enlist?are dying in the field or coming home to a way of life that is rapidly disappearing. Yet as the Great War ends and another threatens to erupt, Craddock?s faith and the strength he derives from his family will sustain him and his beloved village through trying, tumultuous times. Filled with vivid imagery and timeless emotion, this is the unforgettable story of a farming family and a vanishing way of life. Post of Honour is the second novel in R. F. Delderfield?s A Horseman Riding By saga, which begins with Long Summer Day and continues with The Green Gauntlet.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,420,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible