Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Searching for Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Searching for Dragons (1991)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (2)

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle by Deva Fagan (dylanesque)
    dylanesque: Searching for Dragons and the Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle share an irreverent, light-hearted tone, a fun duo of interesting main characters, and a rich magical world (although I would say this is a stronger element in the Misadventures).

English (39)  German (1)  All languages (40)
I did like this better than book one, probably 3 1/2 stars in reality. I think it's my usual thing where I get more attached to the characters as the story goes on.

It's clever and funny in parts. If you've got a kid in the 8-10 range you should get these books. I can feel it getting better and better. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Mendanbar, King of the Enchanted Forest, has a problem: someone appears to have burned a large chunk of his domain, and he thinks it might have been the dragons. At the advice of a witch, he goes to see Kazul, the King of the Dragons. Kazul is missing, and Mendanbar and Cimorene set out to find her.

This is a delightful quest that expands on the world established in the previous book. Readers get to learn more about the Enchanted Forest and its magic, as well as meeting some of the colorful residents of the surrounding area. New characters Mendanbar and the magician Telemain are just as much fun as returning favorites. Readers who enjoyed the first book should pick this one up as soon as possible. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 15, 2019 |
In the second installment of The Enchanted Forest Chronicle (written third (details)) the young King of the Enchanted Forest, Mendenbar, has discovered something suspicious in his kingdom, and, suspecting the Wizards, must discuss it with the King of Dragons. The problem is, Kazul has gone missing and they can't tell anybody.

Mendenbar and Cimorene, lately promoted from 'Princess' to 'Chief Cook and Librarian', must set out together and discover who took Kazul and work out how they're going to get her back. The consequences could be serious, and extend far beyond their two kingdoms.

Wrede adds more details to her world and brings us closer to the situation she originally created in Talking to Dragons. It had a fun plot, with a visit to the giants, a dwarf tired of the spinning straw to gold racket, and introduces Telemain, that most technical of magic users.

Previous: Dealing with Dragons

Next: Calling on Dragons ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Another fun installment of this middle reader fantasy series. I like how the books are constantly poking fun of fairy tale tropes. ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |
King Mendanbar of the Enchanted Forest finds a section of his forest has been burned away, possibly by dragons. A witch suggests that all is not what it seems. He goes on a quest to find out the truth. Upon meeting Princess Cimorene, he learns that the King of the Dragons, Kazul, is missing, so they set out together to look for her.
The book is funny and great for kids. I enjoyed it as a 36-year-old, but I would have absolutely loved it as an 8- or 9-year-old. It has the classic tropes of a fantasy setting , but turns a lot of those tropes on their heads in ways that had me giggling and smiling all through the book.
The magician Telemain gets a bit technical in his explanations of magical processes, which means one of the characters has to be the dumb one so that the author has a reason to translate it for her young readers. Unfortunately, the dumb one always seems to be Cimorene, which is a great disservice to her. She’s skilled with magic herself, for one thing, and she the Dragon King’s personal Librarian (and Cook) for another. Aside from this, I really enjoyed the book.
This is the second book in The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Wrede. I confess I have not read the first book in the series, but that certainly didn’t leave me lost when reading this book. The book was perfect for what I wanted: a novel that was short and fun that could help me pass the time on a boring day. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys fantasy. And Hey! Maybe start off with Dealing with Dragons. ( )
1 vote Jessiqa | Aug 23, 2018 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hartman, DaliaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, CarstenÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paarma, Susanna(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puda, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seve, Peter deCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to thank the RIGHT HONORABLE WICKED STEPMOTHERS' TRAVELING, DRINKING, AND DEBATING SOCIETY - Caroline, Ellen, and Mimi - for kindly granting their permission for use of the Society in this book, and for allowing me to inflict them with a Men's Auxiliary.
The King of the Enchanted Forest was twenty years old and lived in a rambling, scrambling, mixed-up castle somewhere near the center of his domain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152045651, Paperback)

Cimorene, the princess who refuses to be proper, meets her match in the not-quite-kingly Mendanbar. With the aid of a broken-down magic carpet and a leaky magical sword, the two tackle a series of dragon-nappings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Princess Cimorene enlists the help of Mendanbar, King of the Enchanted Forest, to join her quest to save the kidnapped king of the dragons Kazul.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible