Searching for Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Searching for Dragons (1991)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (2)

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle by Deva Fagan (dylanesque)
    dylanesque: Searching for Dragons and the Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle share an irreverent, light-hearted tone, a fun duo of interesting main characters, and a rich magical world (although I would say this is a stronger element in the Misadventures).

English (33)  German (1)  All (34)

Title: Searching for Dragons
Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles #2
Author: Patricia Wrede
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: Fantasy, Middle-grade
Pages: 276
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Mendanbar, King of the Enchanted Forest, runs across some wizards who seem to not be quite on the up and up. In his investigation, he comes into contact with Cimorene. Kazul is missing and they both end up going to look for her. Kazul is being held captive by the wizards and it is up to Mendanbar, Cimorene, Morwen the witch, Gipsy Jack and the magician Telemain to free her, vanquish the wizards, restore the deadzones in the Magic Forest, and plan a wedding.

Because when a King meets a Princess and both are rather unconventional, of course they get married! Duh...

My Thoughts:

This story was from Mendenbar's view, as opposed to Cimorenes. It wasn't quite as quirky and the tone was the same, so it didn't have that “newness” factor. I enjoyed my time but whereas Cimorene took charge and kicked butt in the first book, Mendanbar is much more of a passive character, at least in his attitude. Don't get me wrong, he'll kill rock snakes and fight wizards with the best of them, but he just seems to exude “That's nice. Next?” The adventure happened TO him. He didn't take it by the throat and throttle it into submission.

When I originally read this back in '06, I read the whole tetralogy at once and I think that gives a very different flavor than reading these individually a month or 2 apart.

Book 1, Dealing with Dragons, charmed me completely. This just kept me entertained.

★★★★☆ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | May 12, 2017 |
I've done reading the whole series, so will copy these comments to 3rd and 4th book, too.

Love the humor. Love the breezy adventure and endearing characters. Each book focuses on different folks, but the sequence events counts, and I do not recommend trying to read them as stand-alones. The ending of #2 is a bit worrisome, and the ending of #3 is a cliff-hanger, and #4 does have some intensity not necessarily suitable for the youngest readers. On the whole, they're clean and fun, I'd say fine for ages 9 up but if your younger child wants to read them you should also.

Um, they're also not really memorable - they're probably best suited for people who like to reread books because there's a lot going on, but nothing heavy enough to make an impact on the reader's worldview. I know it's partly my fault because I read them so fast - but then, they were fast reads, and I couldn't help it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is the second episode in the Enchanted Forest trilogy. I really enjoyed this cute story of a non-traditional princess. In this episode she meets her match in the king of the Enchanted Forest. It was a sweet story, but still had the humorous twists on classic fairy tales I enjoyed in the last book. I wish the dragon, Kazul, had played more of a role in this one, because I like her dry wit, but it's still a great book. I've already got the third book on hold at the library. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Searching for Dragons: Book Two, Patricia Wrede

★ ★ ★

This is a continuation of the story Princess Cimorene, Cook & Librarian to King of the Dragons, Kazul.

Kazul has disappeared and Cimorene has decided to go search for her (yes, the King of the Dragons, Kazul, is a female). Just as she is setting out, Cimorene is confronted by King of the Enchanted Forest (which is dying) Mendanbar. Mendanbar is also searching for Kazul, as the Wizards have put a bug in his ear about the Dragons wanting to stage a war between them & the Wizards.....

There are many magical and interesting characters: Telemain, the Magician (not Wizard); Morwena, the witch; Herman, the Dwarf (heir of Rumpelstiltskin); and a pair of Giants...... All help Mendanbar & Cimorene fend off the Wizards & find Kazul.

This was an easy and very fast read..... I did not enjoy it as much as Book One. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
In the second installment of the story of Princess Cimorene and the Dragons, her Dragon - who is now King of the Dragons - has disappeared and the King of the Enchanted Forest suspects the Dragons are somehow involved in the destruction of part of his realm. And what nefarious plans have the pesky wizards thought up now? After some initial suspicion - after all the King thinks all princesses are silly and wants nothing to do with them, and Cimorene has similar views about princes - the two team up for the search and restoration of the Enchanted Forest.

This sequel is as much fun as the first part and introduces some other fairy tale protagonists from a new perspective. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hartman, DaliaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puda, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seve, Peter deCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to thank the RIGHT HONORABLE WICKED STEPMOTHERS' TRAVELING, DRINKING, AND DEBATING SOCIETY - Caroline, Ellen, and Mimi - for kindly granting their permission for use of the Society in this book, and for allowing me to inflict them with a Men's Auxiliary.
The King of the Enchanted Forest was twenty years old and lived in a rambling, scrambling, mixed-up castle somewhere near the center of his domain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152045651, Paperback)

Cimorene, the princess who refuses to be proper, meets her match in the not-quite-kingly Mendanbar. With the aid of a broken-down magic carpet and a leaky magical sword, the two tackle a series of dragon-nappings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Princess Cimorene enlists the help of Mendanbar, King of the Enchanted Forest, to join her quest to save the kidnapped king of the dragons Kazul.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible