Warrior Brothers My Life in the Australian…

Warrior Brothers My Life in the Australian SAS (edition 2008)

by Fennell; Keith

91950,433 (4.5)None
Member:tony100
Title:Warrior Brothers My Life in the Australian SAS
Authors:Fennell; Keith
Info:Bantam (2008), Paperback, 335 pages

Warrior Brothers: My Adrenaline Ride in the Australian SAS by Keith Fennell

This is former Australian SAS soldier Keith Fennell’s first book, but I read it second (after Warrior Training - the making of an Australian SAS Soldier – which told the story of how he made it into the Special Forces in the first place). I’m actually glad I read the other book first, as it went into what it takes for a man to get into the Regiment. Warrior Brothers delves far deeper into Fennell’s international operations.
As with any military Special Forces unit in the world, these guys aren’t just regular soldiers, and the insight we’re given into this secretive world is fascinating.

Fennell’s attitude to his work – and his mindset that separates him from civilians - is pretty well demonstrated in the way he talks about his marriage. With a wife who allowed him the freedom to go out there time and time again to do what he felt he needed to do (even after leaving the SAS), this is the way they had decided to deal with the situation if the worst happened to him:

'If I’m missing, then your nightmare is over and it’s time to move on. I assure you that there’s no possibility that you’ll be exposed to a video of me chained up in an Iraqi dungeon and begging for my life. I’ll make sure of it. My soul will be long departed from my body before you are even notified that something is wrong.’

What comes through most in this book is that while Fennell is something of a crazy person when it comes to training and to throwing himself voluntarily into the most dangerous situations in the world, he’s very much an average man in other ways. Some of the pranks the guys pull (and get away with, because nobody suspects such elite soldiers of mucking around the way they do) made them appear to be human even when the frightening descriptions of their lifestyle made them more than a little intimidating.

The author does an excellent job of giving readers a sense of how it would have been out there in Afghanistan and East Timor, managing to make the military jargon easy to read for less knowledgeable readers.

He’s such a ‘highly-motivated’, upbeat, positive guy that it’s sometimes difficult to believe he’s real. He’s so inspired by, and admiring of the men he fought alongside. It’s occasionally a bit over the top telling us how motivated he is and so full of praise for the other men, but I can forgive that.

This was a very interesting read. ( )
  ZosiaCanberra | Dec 15, 2010 |

"For the first time, an ex-Australian SAS soldier tells his story. This breathtaking memoir gets behind the cliched perceptions of the SAS and tells it how it really is, from the intensity of the training to the friendships forged among the men. Warrrior Brothers is an edge-of-your seat non-fiction thriller -- Keith Fennell takes you through his training, first missions and the shocking, nerve-jangling experiences he had in East Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq. He reveals the mental preparation needed before leaving for a mission, what life is like for the families of SAS soldiers and what it feels like to kill. From cruising throught the Iraqi desert in a non-bullet proof vehicle to dodging mines in Afghanistan and assisting the recovery effort in Banda Aceh, this exceptional and extraordinarily gripping book takes you inside the action, fear, tradegy and bravery that was Keith Fennells adrenaline ride in the Australian SAS"--Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible