While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky

While My Sister Sleeps

by Barbara Delinsky

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.

The Snow sisters - Molly and Robin - are as close as two sisters can possibly be. Like most sisters, the women share a bond that has sustained them through the good times and the bad. Throughout their childhood, and now as adults, the women's love for each other and their friendship has endured, and is just as strong as ever.

Their careers are flourishing - Molly is a horticulturist and Robin is a world-class runner - and they are both in the prime of their lives. So when Molly receives the news that Robin has suffered a massive heart attack, she couldn't be more shocked. At the hospital, the Snow family is given the grim prognosis: Robin may never regain consciousness.

As Robin's parents and siblings struggle to cope, the complex nature of their relationship is put to the ultimate test. Molly has always lived in Robin's shadow and her feelings for her sister have run the gamut, from love to resentment and back again. In fact, the last time the sisters spoke, they argued. Now, however, there is so much more at stake.

Under such devastating circumstances, Molly's parents begin to fold, and her brother retreats into a cool reserve that threatens his own family. So, it's up to Molly to make the tough decisions, and she soon makes discoveries that shatter some of her most cherished beliefs about the sister she thought she knew.

Once again, New York Times bestselling author Barbara Delinsky has created a masterful family portrait, filled with thought-provoking ideas about the nature of life itself, how emotions influence the decisions we make, and how letting go can sometimes be the hardest thing to do and also the greatest expression of love all at the same time.

While I will admit that a few of Barbara Delinsky's books that I've read in the past may not have been her best work - at least in my opinion - I would give While my Sister Sleeps a definite A+! I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. In my opinion, Barbara Delinsky has once again created characters that are absolutely realistic and easy to relate to, people who the reader can't help but care for as they suffer through their various trials and tribulations. I'm certainly looking forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Apr 16, 2014 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
When Robin's sister suffers a heart-attack while jogging it throws the whole family dynamics in a whirl as they wait for her to awaken. Sounded like a great book from the blurb and cover (I know, I know, don't judge a book by it's cover!) but I was disappointed. Very soap-operatic and predictable. ( )
  janiereader | Sep 8, 2012 |
I found this story to be very well written as well as heartbreaking. Only having a brother, I couldn't image loosing him to a heart condition. I even liked the love interest the author added to the story. This book was an easy read but had me thinking on many different levels. ( )
  momei | Oct 29, 2011 |
I have been a Barbara Delinsky fan for years, but I truly did not care for this book. ( )
  CandyH | Oct 27, 2011 |
To Andrew and Julie
forever
There were days when Molly Snow loved her sister, but this wasn't one.

Molly Snow has always lived in the shadow of her older sister, Robin, who is a determined runner bound for Olympic greatness. Whereas Robin has always shone in the spotlight and is the apple of their mother's eye, Molly likes to remain behind the scenes, fulfilling her passion for botany, where she works in her family's business, the Snow Hill Greenhouse. Sometimes to her chagrin, Molly is also expected to support Robin's running, timing her practices and driving her to meets.

On a day Molly was supposed to be with Robin, tragedy strikes when Robin is found unconscious on the roadside by another runner. After being admitted to the ICU, it is determined that Robin had a massive heart attack that deprived her for oxygen for too long and left her brain dead. In the days that follow, each family is grappling with Robin's accident in different ways: Charlie, her father, tries to be the silent supporter, Chris, her brother, wants Robin off the life support, Kathyrn, her mother, believes that Robin will come out of this, and Molly just wants to do what Robin would have wanted, even though she doesn't know what this is.

While dealing with the guilt she feels for not being there for her sister, Molly is determined to do right by Robin and figure out what she wanted. Little does she know the family secrets she will unveil while looking for an answer.

Following the success of The Secret Between Us, a book the Boston Globe hailed as “one of her best,” Barbara Delinsky returns with another moving and deeply satisfying novel, this one about the unique and emotionally complex world of siblings.

Molly and Robin Snow are sisters, and like all sisters they share a deep bond that sustains them through good times and bad. Their careers are flourishing—Molly is a horticulturist and Robin is a world-class runner—and they are in the prime of their lives. So when Molly receives the news that Robin has suffered a massive heart attack, she couldn’t be more shocked. At the hospital, the Snow family receives a grim prognosis: Robin may never regain consciousness.

As Robin’s parents and siblings struggle to cope, the complex nature of their relationship is put to the ultimate test. Molly has always lived in Robin’s shadow and her feelings for her have run the gamut, from love to resentment and back. The last time they spoke, they argued. But now there is so much more at stake. Molly’s parents fold under the devastating circumstances, and her brother retreats into the cool reserve that is shattering his own family. It’s up to Molly to make the tough decisions, and she soon makes discoveries that destroy some of her most cherished beliefs about the sister she thought she knew.

Once again New York Times bestselling author Barbara Delinsky brings us a masterful family portrait, filled with thought-provoking ideas about the nature of life itself, how emotions affect the decisions we make, and how letting go can be the hardest thing to do and the greatest expression of love all at the same time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:53 -0400)

Molly has always lived in her sister's shadow and her feelings for her sister have run the gamut. But when her sister, a world-class runner, suffers a heart attack and does not regain consciousness, Molly must make the tough decisions in a role that will destroy some of her most cherished beliefs about the sister she thought she knew.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible