Peter Pan or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up…

Peter Pan or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up (edition 1992)

by J M; Rego Barrie, Paula [illus.], Paula Rego (Illustrator)

Member:CarltonC
Title:Peter Pan or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up
Authors:J M; Rego Barrie, Paula [illus.]
Other authors:Paula Rego (Illustrator)
Info:The Folio Society (1992), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Folio
Tags:British, Drama

Peter Pan or the Boy Who Would Not Grow Up: A Fantasy in Five Acts by J. M. Barrie

I was pleasantly surprised by this play, which I enjoyed, as I did Barrie's introduction.
I had previously read the children's story to my children and had expected the play to be very similar to the book, although necessarily compressed. However, although the same basic story, it is an independent work (having been written before the book). It is darker, which surprised me, and Peter Pan is a much more ambiguous figure of the child who never wants to grow up.
Well worth reading.
I read the Folio Society edition with illustrations with Paula Rego. I looked at the pictures before I read the play and thought that they were typically brilliant Rego, but incorporating her ideas rather than illustrating the play. But once I had read the play, I realised that the illustrations are true to the play, not the book, and the more enjoyable for that. ( )
  CarltonC | Dec 21, 2012 |
I invented my personal Never Land prior to the lecture of this famous book, which was, like many children’s books, actually written for adults. During my life, I often returned to Never Land. And it will be my last destination.
  hbergander | Dec 12, 2011 |

Is expanded in

Please do not combine the original play with the later novelization of the play.
This is the original play written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play. The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.

J.M. Barrie

Fantasy

25 characters.

Scenes: the nursery, Never Land (in three: land, sea, house beneath), deck of a ship. The everlasting classic account of two boys and a girl who follow Peter Pan and the invisible fairy, Tinker Bell, into Never Land, where children never grow old and where Captain Hook and his pirates are outwitted. Performed by Maude Adams, Jean Arthur, Mary Martin.

"The magic is as great as ever."- The New York Daily News

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:02 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible