Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David…

Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel (original 1994; edition 1995)

by David Guterson

Member:missiemae
Title:Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel
Authors:David Guterson
Info:Vintage (1995), Edition: 1st Vintage contemporaries ed, Paperback, 460 pages

Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (1994)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: This novel also deals with the internment of Japanese Americans and the heartache endured.
    Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson (browner56)
    browner56: The Pacific Northwest sets the stage for these engrossing and highly atmospheric novels
    Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (Friederike.Geissler)
    Sole Survivor by Derek Hansen (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Internment, but in different circumstances
    The Sky Fisherman: A Novel by Craig Lesley (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books show a love for the Pacific Northwest in their setting.

English (150)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (160)
The first time I read this book I was much younger and happier than today. I remember that it made a great impression on me and I loved it very much. So if this review had written at that time, it would get a 5-star book. But that's not the case this time.

As I sometimes do, I see a book that reminds me of something from the past, and I reread it.
But the present reading didn't give me the same enthusiasm for the first time, perhaps because I am no longer fond of the genre of detective stories or instead this time I didn't notice there ware any mystery, suspense or detective story Tchlas. The beginning of the book and its end were a bit boring to my taste, yet, the middle of the book remained as good as I remembered it was - fascinating and teach about the prejudices and relations between Japanese and American immigrants in the war, after Pearl Harbor and the years after. All through a story about a small town surrounded by the sea and the trial of a local Japanese, through which the mixed feelings of the islanders towards immigrants introduced from hatred to sympathy and everything in between.

In conclusion, I would say that the book is suitable for reading once in life. ( )
  mazalbracha | Jan 12, 2019 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2009; read it 2006):
- ..the author does a fine job illuminating the people and atmosphere. For me, to a point, the plot lines get lost a bit in his evocations. I enjoyed the story, but it trudged along at times. If this was really exceptional literature, no problem, but this isn't quite to that lofty plain. Well done overall, though I'd hesitate to pick up the author again. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Nov 19, 2018 |
A very good book about prejudice against citizens of Japanese ancestry both before, during and after WWII. The book ostensibly is focused on a Japanese man unjustly accused of murder and his trial, but also provides some backstory to his life, while integrating the prejudice that existed. Somewhat slow moving in parts but made up for by the overall story. ( )
  highlander6022 | Sep 3, 2018 |
An enticing tale of the intricacies of human life within the small fishing / farming village of Amity Harbour. A layer of stories brought to the forefront when circumstantial evidence leads to a Japanese fisherman being accused of murdering a fellow fisherman over a presumed land dispute. Set during and after the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor. A recommended read for older teens and adults. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Aug 5, 2018 |
Snow Falling on Cedars was a beautifully written book. Although hard to get through at times (the writing is rather dense) the style of the book is pure poetry. The story is of a Japanese man being tried for murder of the first degree on San Piedro island. The book itself is rich in history and in the prejudice that Washington state (and in that, America in general) held against the Japanese in the latter end of WWII and the years that followed. The murder-mystery aspect of the book (as well as the courtroom drama) is paralleled with a love-story between a Japanese woman (the accused's wife) and an American boy (the reporter/son of the reporter depending upon the year.) The love-story is somewhat easier to follow than the courtroom drama but both hold the attention well.

While not a perfect book, Snow Falling on Cedars is still an excellent story. I cannot compare it to the film, as I have not seen it, but the book held my interest enough to make me curious as to how it was adapted to the screen. I would recommend this book to people with an interest in historical fiction rather than those with an interest in courtroom drama. Overall, this was a good book and given other circumstances I believe I would have read it faster. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

David Gutersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father,
with gratitude.
The accused man, Kabuo Miyamoto, sat proudly upright with a rigid grace, his palms placed softly on the defendant's table - the posture of a man who has detached himself insofar as this is possible at his own trial.
In the middle of the journey of our life I came to myself
within a dark wood where the straight way was lost.
Ah, how hard a thing it is to tell what a wild,
and rough, and stubborn wood this was,
which in my thought renews the fear!
- Dante, The Divine Comedy
Harmony, like a following breeze
at sea, is the exception.
Harvey Oxenhorn, Tuning the Rig

San Piedro island, north of Puget Sound, is a place so isolated that no one who lives there can afford to make enemies. But in 1954 a local fisherman is found suspiciously drowned, and a Japanese-American named Kabuo Miyamoto is charged with his murder. In the course of the ensuing trial, it becomes clear that what is at stake is more than one man's guilt. For on San Piedro, memory grows as thickly as cedar trees and the fields of ripe strawberries-memories of a charmed love affair between a white boy and the Japanese girl who grew up to become Kabuo's wife; memories of a land desired, paid for, and lost. Above all, San Peidro is haunted by the memory of what happened to its Japanese residents during WWII, when an entire community was sent into exile while its neighbors watched. (0-679-76402-X)
I've not read the booknamed Snow Falling on CedarsDoubt I ever will
SomeGuyinVirginia

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067976402X, Paperback)

This is the kind of book where you can smell and hear and see the fictional world the writer has created, so palpably does the atmosphere come through. Set on an island in the straits north of Puget Sound, in Washington, where everyone is either a fisherman or a berry farmer, the story is nominally about a murder trial. But since it's set in the 1950s, lingering memories of World War II, internment camps and racism helps fuel suspicion of a Japanese-American fisherman, a lifelong resident of the islands. It's a great story, but the primary pleasure of the book is Guterson's renderings of the people and the place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:27 -0400)

When a newspaper journalist covers the trial of a Japanese American accused of murder, he must come to terms with his own past.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible