Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David…

Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel (original 1994; edition 1995)

by David Guterson

Member:exfed
Title:Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel
Authors:David Guterson
Info:Vintage (1995), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 460 pages

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (1994)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: This novel also deals with the internment of Japanese Americans and the heartache endured.
    Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson (browner56)
    browner56: The Pacific Northwest sets the stage for these engrossing and highly atmospheric novels
    Sole Survivor by Derek Hansen (imager)
    imager: Internment, but in different circumstances
    The Sky Fisherman: A Novel by Craig Lesley (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books show a love for the Pacific Northwest in their setting.

English (114)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (121)
I have tried 3 times to read this acclaimed novel and can't seem to get past the first couple of chapters. That happens sometimes...
  runeshower | Oct 2, 2014 |
In the end, I enjoyed this book. After I got passed the first 100 pages, the pace of the book picked up a bit and I became more invested in the characters. ( )
  bjh3038 | Aug 22, 2014 |
  bjh3038 | Aug 22, 2014 |
I started this in Vancouver so there was something about reading it as I was flying over the islands that are the prototype. I have no idea if there actually is a San Peidro Island, I suspect not. I liked the constant shifting of action from the 'current day' trial into the past and then also the little paragraphs of what was happening at different times on the island, almost like the news bits in the local paper that Ishmael writes. Permeating the whole story is the deportation and internment of the islands Japanese residents, a shameful part of American history that resonants today. All of the actions are part of the story. The solving of the mystery is less important here than the development of the characters, who are built up slowly in the flashback vingettes. It really took me away to a different world. I'd like to read more by him and also some of his references on the time period and the islands.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
When Carl Heine is pulled out of his gill net with his skull racked open just above his left ear, foul play is suspected. A casual remark by the coroner leads to the arrest of Kabu Miyamoto, a local fisherman of Japanese descent. The ensuing trial exposes the tensions between the Japanese community and other ethnic groups on a small island in the Puget Sound. Guterson re-creates the confusion created by different cultural interpretations of a single act, but also establishes a wonderful sense of place. The characters have strong physical and emotional relationships to the land and sea. The novel is suffused with the scent of cedars and strawberries, the softness of moss, mist and snow. Guterson, himself resident of a small island in the Puget Sound has observed his land well. Snow Falling On Cedars was his first novel and won him the PEN/Faulkner Award.
  Oandthegang | May 26, 2014 |

David Gutersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father,
with gratitude.
The accused man, Kabuo Miyamoto, sat proudly upright with a rigid grace, his palms placed softly on the defendant's table - the posture of a man who has detached himself insofar as this is possible at his own trial.
In the middle of the journey of our life I came to myself
within a dark wood where the straight way was lost.
Ah, how hard a thing it is to tell what a wild,
and rough, and stubborn wood this was,
which in my thought renews the fear!
- Dante, The Divine Comedy
Harmony, like a following breeze
at sea, is the exception.
Harvey Oxenhorn, Tuning the Rig

San Piedro island, north of Puget Sound, is a place so isolated that no one who livers there can afford to make enemies. But in 1954 a local fisherman is found suspiciously drowned, and a Japanese American names Kabuo Miyamoto is charged with his murder. In the course of the ensuing trial, it becomes clear that what is at stake is more than one man's guilt. For on San Piedro, memory grows as thickly as cedar trees and the fields of ripe strawberries-memories of a charmed love affair between a white boy and the Japanese girl who grew up to become Kabuo's wife; memories of a land desired, paid for, and lost. Above all, San Peidro is haunted by the memory of what happened to its Japanese residents during WWII, when an entire community was sent into exile while its neighbors watched. (0-679-76402-X)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067976402X, Paperback)

This is the kind of book where you can smell and hear and see the fictional world the writer has created, so palpably does the atmosphere come through. Set on an island in the straits north of Puget Sound, in Washington, where everyone is either a fisherman or a berry farmer, the story is nominally about a murder trial. But since it's set in the 1950s, lingering memories of World War II, internment camps and racism helps fuel suspicion of a Japanese-American fisherman, a lifelong resident of the islands. It's a great story, but the primary pleasure of the book is Guterson's renderings of the people and the place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:48 -0400)

Winner of the PEN/Faulkner Award American Booksellers Association Book of the Year Award San Piedro Island, north of Puget Sound, is a place so isolated that no one who lives there can afford to make enemies. But in 1954 a local fisherman is found suspiciously drowned, and a Japanese American named Kabuo Miyamoto is charged with his murder. In the course of the ensuing trial, it becomes clear that what is at stake is more than a man's guilt. For on San Pedro, memory grows as thickly as cedar trees and the fields of ripe strawberries--memories of a charmed love affair between a white boy and the Japanese girl who grew up to become Kabuo's wife; memories of land desired, paid for, and lost. Above all, San Piedro is haunted by the memory of what happened to its Japanese residents during World War II, when an entire community was sent into exile while its neighbors watched. Gripping, tragic, and densely atmospheric, Snow Falling on Cedars is a masterpiece of suspense-- one that leaves us shaken and changed. Haunting. A whodunit complete with courtroom maneuvering and surprising turns of evidence and at the same time a mystery, something altogether richer and deeper.… (more)

2083 avail.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible