Speaking with the Angel by Nick Hornby

Speaking with the Angel (2001)

by Nick Hornby (Editor)

Other authors: Melissa Bank (Contributor), Roddy Doyle (Contributor), Dave Eggers (Contributor), Helen Fielding (Contributor), Colin Firth (Contributor)6 more, Robert Harris (Contributor), Patrick Marber (Contributor), John O'Farrell (Contributor), Giles Smith (Contributor), Zadie Smith (Contributor), Irvine Welch (Contributor)

Recently added byNickelini, emily.youngster, -Kat-, beanwarrow, private library, Roks, capiam1234, cchap, JohnDoe1

I picked this up because I was looking for a reasonably light and fun, but not brainless, collection, so Nick Hornby seemed the way to go. Mission accomplished; that's exactly what this was. Some stories were better than others, but that's to be expected in any collection.

A portion of the proceeds from the cover price go toward schools for kids with autism, making me feel like a big jerk for having bought this used. Ah, well. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Well, ugh. Who would have thought that the best story in a collection populated with capital-W Writers would be the one written by a non-Writer (namely, Colin Firth)? I got this book from the library solely for Patrick Marber's contribution, as I love his play/screenplay Closer and want to read everything he's done. But I was unimpressed by his story "Peter Shelley", which seems too easy. And the story by Roddy Doyle (another of my favorite living writers) was also kind of bad, though it seemed to try so hard.

This was my first experience with Dave Eggers, who is apparently the most pretentious git to have ever written. His story is insufferable in every way. It was also my first experience with Zadie Smith, though I own both White Teeth and On Beauty. Her story was pleasant but empty.

Irvine Welsh's story was revolting. Helen Fielding's was plastic. John O Farrell's was amusing but ultimately inconsequential. Overall, it's a pretty wilted collection.

The bright spots are "PMQ" (Robert Harris), "NippleJesus" (Nick Hornby), and "Department of Nothing" (Colin Firth). Firth's is easily the best story in the collection, probably because it has no pretensions and is the least self-conscious. If the man writes anything more, I'll read it. ( )
2 vote edenic | Mar 6, 2012 |
This compilation has my very favorite short story, which succinctly describes a deeply held view I have about art. It's the one by Nick Horby, who I just love to bits and pieces, and it's called Nipple Jesus. Also, proceeds go to autism research, so come for the Nipple Jesus, stay for the altruism. ( )
  traciolsen | Mar 13, 2011 |
Speaking with the Angel is an anthology, edited by Nick Hornby, which contains a collection of witty, original and clever short stories, written by several contemporary authors. The stories are all written in the first narrative but are all also different - here you get to read from the point of view of a prime minister, a prison cook, a teenage boy, a dog, a homophobic man and many more. Each short story captures a story on its own. Each style and register is different and suitable for its plot. There is humor in seriousness and there is bitterness in love. All in all, I was deeply impressed by how each author managed to tell all these smart stories in such an effective way. By the end of each, I felt as if I had read a whole novel instead and I enjoyed it very much. ( )
  thereshegoes | Aug 23, 2010 |
Edited by Nick Hornby, this collection of short stories includes the work of some excellent and often best-selling contemporary writers. This sort of collection is usually a mixed bag for me as a reader, but Speaking with the Angel was made up almost entirely of high-quality, entertaining fiction. High points were the efforts of Dave Eggers, Zadie Smith, and Hornby himself, and the only story I didn't enjoy was Irvine Welsh's unsubtle, unfunny "Catholic Guilt You (Know You Like It)." I'll second one reviewer's note that even Colin Firth's piece is surprisingly good.

Overall, the collection is very strong (and very worth recommending). ( )
  okrysmastree | May 22, 2010 |

Smith, GilesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, ZadieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Welch, IrvineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Danny Hornby
Prime Minister: With your permission, Mr. Speaker, I wish to make a statement to the House regarding certain incidents of a personal nature.

Bestselling author Nick Hornby has brought together a star-studded group of writers to create this one-of-a-kind collection of first-person narratives. Here are Melissa Bank (The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing), Roddy Doyle (Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha), Dave Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius), Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones's Diary), Colin Firth (star of the film Fever Pitch), Robert Harris (Fatherland), Patrick Marber (Closer), John O'Farrell (Things Can Only Get Better), Giles Smith (Lost in Music), Zadie Smith (White Teeth), Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting), and Nick Hornby himself. Speaking with the Angel is the anthology of the year: hot...hilarious...lively...literary...and all original.

Presents a collection of first-person narratives by Melissa Bank, Roddy Doyle, Helen Fielding, Colin Firth, Robert Harris, Patrick Marber, and Nick Hornby. This is a sparkling collection of original short stories by twelve of the most exciting, innovative and entertaining writers around, brought together by Nick Hornby in aid of Treehouse, a charity that helps autistic children… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140296786, 0241957249

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible