Collected Poems: Edna St. Vincent Millay by…

Collected Poems: Edna St. Vincent Millay (original 1956; edition 1975)

by Edna St Vincent Millay

Member:robincoop
Title:Collected Poems: Edna St. Vincent Millay
Authors:Edna St Vincent Millay
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (1975), Edition: First Printing, Paperback

Collected Poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay (1956)

I would submit that Edna St. Vincent Millay may be the most underrated poet in the English language.

Was she a formalist, and therefore out of vogue? Too bad. Was she a naughty girl, and therefore sent to a place less than nice when she died? More power to her; I'm sure she felt right at home.

The woman who, as an undergrad at Vassar, defied the president of the college to expel her and was told "What? "And have a banished Shelley on my doorstep?" -- and who then allegedly responded "On those terms, I think I can continue to live in this hell hole" -- was obviously not someone to be trifled with.

Cheeky? No doubt. A hellcat? She could've set the wind on fire -- then have doused the flames in a wink with wit alone.

Every one of the sonnets in this collection is a gift to the reader. This book alone is worth a year's tuition at Vassar -- and would no doubt prove more valuable to the few who may be caught there (or at Smith, Wellesley, Barnard, Mount Holyoke, or Bryn Mawr) against their will. It's too bad Radcliffe merged with Harvard only well after her death. The only wonder is that she didn't rise from the grave to stop it -- or, instead, lead the movement to have Harvard merge with Radcliffe. ( )
  RussellBittner | Dec 12, 2014 |
not my favorite poet, but enjoyed some of her poems.
one of my faves:

"ebb"
i know what my heart is like
since your love died;
it is like a hollow ledge
Holding a little pool
Left there by the tide,
a little tepid pool
drying inward from the edge. ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Sep 4, 2014 |
One does not expect to come across poetic treasures in English while randomly browsing for mindless stuff to read, at least not when browsing in a bookshop in Belgium, but I wasn't going to let this one slip by. I've wanted to read more of her work since I read An Ancient Gesture. So much of her poetry is haunting, and terribly moving; very glad I found this. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I've always loved Millay's poetry and it was a thrill to go up to Mt. Battie in Camden and read Renascence on the plaque, then to see what she saw when she wrote the poem. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jan 21, 2008 |

Edna St. Vincent Millayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mill, NormaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Millay, NormaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

This collection is edited by Norma Mill. Do not combine with collections containing different poems.

Collected Poems features Millay's incisive and impassioned lyric poetry and sonnets, many of which are considered among the finest in the language, as well as the poet's last volume, Mine the Harvest, compiled and published in 1956 by her sister Norma Millay. (HarperPerennial)

Compiled by her sister after the poet's death and originally published in 1956, this is the definitive edition of Millay, right up through her last poem, Mine the Harvest.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

My Friend with Autism is the exceptional result of a parent's determination to help her special needs son fit in with his peers, and to foster tolerance and understanding among her son's friends and schoolmates. Author Beverly Bishop teaches high school computer classes and is the technology coordinator for a private K-12 school. The accompanying cd contains printable coloring pages that reinforce the lessons of the book. The pages present an opportuinty for learning and interaction with parnets. The cd contains additional printable information for adults. All of the information appears in the book.… (more)

Legacy Library: Edna St. Vincent Millay

Edna St. Vincent Millay has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Edna St. Vincent Millay's legacy profile.

See Edna St. Vincent Millay's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible