Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School…

Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School Hazards (2008)

by Serge Bloch

Just about everyone has felt as if butterflies were in their stomach, especially on the first day of school. This tidy little book explores one boy's first day with a string of colorful idioms. Great read-a-loud and a nice way to get a laugh as well as learn a bit about the wonderfully complex English language! ( )
  DiamondDog | Mar 29, 2013 |
Butterflies in My Stomach (and Other School Hazards)
By Serge Bloch, Illustrations by Judith Inglese
2010, Sterling Publishing
Review by Debra L Scott, 12/14/2011

Do you ever think about how a child might interpret your words? Butterflies in My Stomach is a delightful look at idiomatic expressions, and how a child might take them literally. It is the first day of school, and the boy has actual butterflies inside his stomach, pictures going to school inside a pickle with wheels (“we’d be in a real pickle if we missed the bus”). Then, of course, it rains ‘cats and dogs’ and he opens ‘a can of worms’. The whole story is fun to read, with the pen and ink illustrations showing the literal meaning of the phrase.

What a great way to help a kid laugh away the jitters of the first day of school! Also a good way to help a child look at the way words can mean something very different than the usual meanings, depending on how they are used, and for children who speak a different language at home, and may not be familiar with common idioms. Good scholastically as an early introduction to creative language, idioms and linguistics. ( )
  theblindlibrarian | Dec 16, 2011 |
On the first day of school, a student is confused by many of the phrases that are used, such as when the librarian says not to open a can of worms, or when the teacher says he expects the class to be busy bees doing their homework.
  paceacademy | May 10, 2010 |
I absolutely adore the clever illustrations in this book, in which line drawings are combined with a photographed object to illustrate a simile or metaphor or saying, such as "butterflies in my stomach". However, I think that the concept of all these sayings might be beyond kindergarteners, and since the book is about a boy's first day of school, that might be a bit of a conflict in trying to pick the right age group for this book. For instance, the librarian tells the boy that if he loses his library books, he'd be "up a creek without a paddle". The picture shows a boy in a boat on some water, but I'm not sure a five-year-old would really understand, even from that picture, what "up a creek without a paddle" means.

Otherwise, A for effort -- I mean it when I say I love these illustrations. I will seek out more work by this author. ( )
  amysisson | Jan 9, 2010 |
Great book for all ages, esp. ELL students as it explains some of the idioms we use in every day language in a humorous and clever way. Great art goes along with the text and helps to explain to more concrete thinkers how we often talk about things in the abstract sense. Highly recommended. ( )
  NancyStorm | Nov 1, 2008 |
On my first day of school, my mother said I got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible