Squire by Tamora Pierce
adventure (36) children (14) children's (20) fantasy (493) female protagonist (16) feminism (12) fiction (165) heroine (15) juvenile (15) kel (17) Keladry (20) knighthood (15) knights (59) magic (60) medieval (15) novel (15) own (17) pierce (19) Protector of the Small (97) Protector of the Small Series (21) read (42) series (54) sff (28) Tamora Pierce (53) teen (26) Tortall (151) YA (127) YA Fantasy (17) young adult (169) young adult fiction (13)

Oh wow Kel gets a griffin, and so much happens in this particular book. An excellent book for young women with self-esteem issues. Definitely in my top 5 worlds/universes.
Great characters, great plot, and excellent descriptions of the settings. ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Love it. Lots of my favorite scenes, including the one that bugged me into reading the series this time - the fan game. And Kel gets whole bunches of new responsibilities, from the griffin baby to her squire duties, training for command, Raoul, and Cleon (in very different ways). She continues dealing with various types of idiots who want to put her down, but also encounters a few who really look up to her - a very different experience. And the royals listen to her, and agree, at least in part - again, a new experience, her voice directly making a difference. The Chamber's visions are weird - I don't know if her pretrials helped or hurt her in the real thing. And a happy not-ending, leading to a new set of experiences. Funny - Kel thinks she's perfectly straightforward and doesn't understand all the complications of politics and people - but over and over, she reads a situation and handles people so that everyone (who deserves it) is as happy as possible - from Roald and Shinko to Lerant. It's a skill I wish I had. OK, next... ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 15, 2014 |
I'm going with 4 stars because it seems unfair to keep giving them 3 and then to keep reading the series. :) ( )
  Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |
I didn't want to stop listening, I was so enthralled by the audio version of this book. Even though I had read this previously, I love the story of Kel's training and her sense of justice. Dunne distinguishes each voice clearly without drawing the attention of the listener outside the story. Simply excellent. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
In so many ways, this fantasy is more realistic than many other stories where it refers to the aspiration of a girl gaining a position in a man's world. From the mentorship (albeit silent) of another woman knight, the frank talk about sex with her mother, friendship with boys changing to a sexual attraction, and even the mention of feminine needs, this book accurately charts the way a girl has to work and fight to prove herself in a man's world.

The fantasy aspects of the story are absolutely charming. The way Kel communicates with animals and has a flock of sparrows flitting around her is such a contrast to her life full of injuries, dirt, and violence.

I came into this series with this book and I wish I had started at the beginning. ( )
  mamzel | Mar 31, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pierce, Tamoramain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ms Gloria Barbizan and Miss Dorothy Olding - strong women long before women's liberation.
Despite the overflow of humanity present for the congress at the royal palace, the hall where Keladry of Mindelan now walked was deserted.

"I thought if I survived the big examinations, I'd be fine. I thought someone would take me, even if I am The Girl."

Keladry has finished her page training, she's passed the exams and now she's a fully-fledged squire. Which is great - except that you can't really be a squire if no knight will take you on.

But Kel's luck is in. After weeks of waiting, a knight-master has come forward. A true warrior to follow - if she can cope with the gruelling life on campaign. Bandits and renegade centaurs are just what she's trained for - it couldn't be better. But eventually Kel will have to return and face the Chamber of the Ordeal, the final test of a squire. One boy has already died in the chamber this year...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679889191, Mass Market Paperback)

In Book 3 of Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small sequence, 14-year-old Keladry of Mindelan is ready to begin training as a squire after undergoing four grueling years as the first girl to be officially educated as a page. Disappointed at first that Lady Alanna (whom we first met in the Song of the Lioness Quartet series) does not choose her, Kel is delighted when gruff, good-natured, down-to-earth Lord Raoul takes her on. The next four years prove to be tough but happy, for the most part, as Raoul and most of the others in the King's Own (a corps of 300 men--299 now, plus Kel--that enforces the law and helps local nobles deal with problems such as centaur attacks and forest robberies) treat Kel as an equal. Throughout, Kel is physically and mentally preparing herself for the final test in the Chamber of the Ordeal, in which fourth-year squires must successfully face their greatest fears before becoming knights.

In this sequel to First Test: Protector of the Small and Page: Protector of the Small, Kel continues to be an admirable role model: stoutly loyal, strong, independent, honest, yet very real in her fears and weaknesses. Romance lurks for the budding adolescent as she develops a crush on one fellow and begins a sweet kissing-only relationship with another, after a very frank discussion about sex with her mother. Although the buildup to the Ordeal is watered down a bit by Kel's periodic visits to the Chamber door for a taste of what's to come, overall, this latest in Pierce's series is a rousing tale of chivalry and heroism that any reader will be sorely challenged to put down. (Ages 12 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:29 -0400)

After becoming a squire to Lord Raoul, commander of the King's Own, Kel of Mindelan, must face a terrifying test in the Chamber of the Ordeal before she can be a knight.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,496,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible