Ishmael by Barbara Hambly
6801521,239 (4.14)1 / 31
    Strangers from the Sky by Margaret Wander Bonanno (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Good Spock time travel stories.

This was the 23rd novel in the original Pocket Books paperback series of Star Trek novels. By reputation it is considered one of the very best of the early novels and I have looked forward to reading it one day. That day has come. So where do I start? How about with Bobby Sherman ...

The bluest skies you've ever seen in Seattle
And the hills the greenest green in Seattle
Like a beautiful child growing up free and wild
Full of hopes and full of fears
Full of laughter full of tears
Full of dreams to last the years in Seattle
In Seattle

And you can have a look at this very short youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRNpa_vTjRM

Back in the late 60's for two seasons you could watch "Here Comes the Brides" with Bobby Sherman and David Soul and Bridget Hanley and even Mark Lenard, better known to trekkies as Sarek, father of Spock. Then in the mid 80's came this paperback, an improbable mashup of Star Trek and Here Comes the Brides that works way better than I could possibly have imagined. I stretch the description just a bit - this IS a Star Trek novel and a Star Trek story that finds itself improbably back in time in 1867 Seattle (and San Francisco) with characters you might just recognize. And there is even more, with Spock playing chess with Paladin, and cameos of characters you might recognize from TV westerns. They are just a little bonus fluff added in to a good story. My only regret is that I didn't read this 30 years ago.

4 solid stars (and maybe more) for a great Trek novel ( )
1 vote RBeffa | Mar 2, 2018 |
Hands down my favorite ST:TOS novel. I still re-read this every few years. You wouldn't think Star Trek could meet Here Comes the Brides successfully, but this ties the two together well. Such a treat for those of us raised on TV westerns AND Star Trek! ( )
1 vote rlsalvati | Jul 5, 2016 |
One of my favorite Trek novels. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 15, 2016 |
This may be my favorite among the Star Trek books that I own. I love how we meet another one of Spock's ancestors. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |
A fun, light read with Hambly indulging in a mash-up (before the term was invented) between classic Star Trek and Here Come the Brides. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Mar 12, 2014 |
For M. Shannon, Nedra, and Tom
The soft, inquiring note of the door signal threaded apologetically into the dimness.
Against those endless light-years of nothing, Starbase Twelve hung like a magic Christmas-tree ornament, the gnawed rock ball of the original planetoid sewn over with a silver mesh of the lights of the surface works.

"Where are you - from," Sarah asked ....

Spock shook his head wearily. "The name of the planet would mean nothing to you. Your astronomers have not even discovered the star yet."

"I see," she looked down at her folded hands where they rested on the handle of the door. Then she looked up at him again/. "I knew at the dance, you see."

Spock's eyebrow lifted, startled. Sarah smiled a little.

She reached out and took his hand in her long slim fingers ... then she released it and her fingers brushed lightly against his cheek. "That's fever-hot," she said clinically. "A hundred and three, a hundred and four. A - one of us - would have been raving. You were clearly having the time of your life ... When you took my hand for the grand right and left, I noticed the scars on your hand had turned a sort of apple-green."

"In the future," he found himself saying tiredly, "I must remember to avoid dancing..."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671554271, Mass Market Paperback)

The U.S.S. Enterpriseā„¢ is on a peaceful mission at Starbase 12 when a bizarre cosmic phenomenon causes a Klingon ship to suddenly vanish -- with Spock aboard for the ride. Spock's last message from the Klingon ship is cryptic and frightening. The Klingons are traveling into the past, searching for the one man who holds the key to the furure. If they can kill that man, the course of history will be changed -- and the Federation will be destroyed!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,756,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible