The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer

The Opal Deception (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Eoin Colfer

Member:epivet
Title:The Opal Deception
Authors:Eoin Colfer
Info:Scholastic Books (2005), Paperback
Tags:YA, fantasy

The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer (2005)

English (62)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (66)
Opal's clear cut, unexplained evilness was a bit annoying. But the rest is fun. Plus Artemis always manages to make it out unscathed right? What happens when he fail? If you like reading about spy schemes, technology, recon missions this book is for you. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Artemis Fowl, a 14 year old Irish genius, along with his trusty side-kick Tonto (I mean, Butler), once again plunge into the world of the fairies, elves, goblins, pixies and sprites.

Artemis's memory of the fairy underworld was wiped in a previous adventure, so he is unaware of the underground civilizations until he is needed to help vanquish a previous enemy: Opal Koboy.

Opal, emerging from a self induced year long coma, returns full of anger and revenge--revenge for those who thwarted her last plans to take over the fairy world. She is nothing if not imaginative and her ideas of revenge are as unique as they are effective.

How Artemis's memory is returned, he outsmarts both the good guys and the bad guys, and finally triumphs over Opal makes for a great read.

MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
The Artemis Fowl books are very good when you need a break from heavy 'grown-up' books. They're fun little adventure stories, and this book isn't an exception. It's not totally light: there is substance -- death happens, the characters are in real danger, actions have consequences, the friendships formed between the characters are real...

But it's easy to read, a quick read, and it's a lot of fun. In this book, I could've done with a bit more weight given to the death of a main character, but I love what Holly does at the end, and I look forward to the changes that'll bring to the series! ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

Artemis has been mind wiped, and left with no fairy memories. It's ironic that now he is the one being hunted instead, and he can't even remember it! Opal has been lying in wait to get her revenge. Can Artemis and Holly escape?

Artemis has reverted back to the calculating individual he was before his contact with Holly. This doesn't really let him fit in with his newly reunited family. He's on the hunt for a particular fairy artwork, but doesn't know why he's attracted to it, and where those strange memories are coming from.

Meanwhile, Holly is shooting Commander Root, and Foaly is seeing his friends all killed off one by one. But who is behind this deception? Is it little Belinda, or someone else?

The Opal Deception is well crafted. It is plot driven, which is a good thing as the main characters seem to be being killed off very quickly. Colfer skillfully references things in other novels, yet still keeps a freshness in the interesting gadgets. He must have a very inventive mind to keep thinking of things for Foaly to design...

Another thing that hit me about its structure, and those of the other book in the series was that they all seem to open in a different way. This one has an excerpt from a new diary that Artemis has begun to keep. Others have a psychologist's analysis and fake scientific expose type addresses.

I remember lining up to get this book, pouncing on its release date. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that the front cover is very different to the first three - it actually has holes in it! The story inside lived up to my expectations however.

I think I'm going to take a break from reading these now (there are 3 more on my shelf waiting to be read) and read something with more depth. I found that as I was about to launch into this one, I felt a strange sense of being tired of reading them. It's likely just having read all of the same author for a while, I feel like a change. It is the same thing I felt when rereading the Alex Rider series. ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 14, 2013 |
In this wonderful story the young boy genius Artemis fowl after his mind swipe is at it again trying to steal one of the most prized possessions among thieves. The object of choice is a painting called the "fairy thief" and only the best thieves in the world have had it in their collection. But Artemis is having conflicting feelings about it because he loves the rush of a scheme, but he is starting to become more nice in the sense that he is starting to become a better person and follow in the footsteps of his newly change father. But while all this is happening above ground in the fairy world below the devious Opal is hatching a plan to get her revenge on Artemis and his fairy comrades that helped put her in jail.

I would recommend this book for anyone who loves a fair paced story chock full of excitingly devious plans. If I were to rate this from 1-10 it would be a 10 every time because Eoin Colfer is able to make these books so exciting that it makes it nearly impossible to stop turning the pages.
  br13iama | Oct 28, 2012 |

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sarah---
The pen is mightier than the word processor.
The following article was posted on the fairy internet on the site www.horsesense.gnom.
In der Argon Klinik in Haven City (Erdland) machen es die Wachen den Brill-Brüdern nicht besonders schwer, den Körper Opal Kobois gegen einen perfekten Klon auszutauchen. Die Polizisten vor der Tür des Krankenzimmers sind schon seit langem reduziert, denn die Gefahr, die früher von der Wichtelin ausging, scheint gebannt, seit Opal in ein ewiges Koma gefallen ist. Aber Opal ist gar nicht ins Koma gefallen, sie hat den Schlafzustand selbst erzeugt. Und ewig wird ihr Schlaf auch nicht sein: In früher Jugend war Opal Schülerin von Gola Schween, dem Guru des Reinigungskomas, der sie in der Kunst des Schlafens zum Zweck des Nachdenkens unterwies. Und so hat die Wichtelin bereits einen perfekten Racheplan im Gepäck, als die Brill-Brüder die Wachen betäuben, um ihre Herrin zu befreien ...

Zum Racheplan von Opal gehört es, ihre Gegenspielerin, Officer Captain Holly Short von der Zentralen Untergrund-Polizei (ZUP), für immer auszuschalten -- und zwar mit einem raffinierten Plan, der Short als Mordverdächtige ins Visier ihrer eigenen Mannen bringen soll (und schließlich bringt). Im Zentrum ihrer Intrige aber steht der menschliche Meisterdieb Artemis Fowl, der die gesamte ZUP zum Narren hielt, bevor es dem talentierten Zentaur Foaly mit „unterirdischer Spitzentechnologie“ gelang, dem Verbrechergenie die Erinnerung an die Unterwelt aus dem Hirn zu löschen. Fowl ist gerade dabei, das am besten gesichertste Gemälde der Welt aus dem Hochsicherheitstrakt einer Bank zu stehlen, als Opal versucht, ihn mit seinen eigenen Waffen zu schlagen. Am Ende steht der Versuch, einen Krieg der Ober- und Unterwelt auszulösen, an dessen Ende sich die Wichtelin zur Herrscherin der Überlebenden aufschwingen könnte. Zur Rettung ihrer eigenen Haut und zur Rettung des Universums muss Captain Short nicht nur die Hilfe des selbstverliebten Zwergs Mulch in Anspruch nehmen. Sie muss auch das Gedächtnis Fowls ans die Unterirdischen wieder aktivieren. Aber das ist für alle Beteiligten gefährlicher als erwartet...

Die Rache ist Fowls viertes Abenteuer, und es ist vielleicht sein spannendstes. So oder so wirkt die Methode seines Erfinders Eoin Colfer, im geheimen Erdland mythische und phantastische Elemente mit solchen der Alltagwelt und der Science-Fiction zu verknüpfen, wieder einmal überaus fruchtbar für die zum Teil sehr versponnene Geschichte. Als Leser fühlt man sich gleich auf gespenstische Weise fremd und doch zuhause in der Unterwelt der Elfen, Zwerge und Wichtel. Und das erhöht den Grad der Spannung in Artemis Fowl. Die Rache ganz enorm.

Criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl is back…and so is his cunning enemy from Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident, Opal Koboi. At the start of the fourth adventure, Artemis has returned to his unlawful ways. He's in Berlin, preparing to steal a famous impressionist painting from a German bank. He has no idea that his old rival, Opal, has escaped from prison by cloning herself. She's left her double behind in jail and, now free, is exacting her revenge on all those who put her there, including Artemis.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:35 -0400)

After his last run-in with the fairies, Artemis Fowl's mind was wiped of memories of the world belowground and any goodness grudgingly learned is now gone, with the young genius reverting to his criminal lifestyle.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141315490, 0141339136

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,971,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible