The Rift by Peter David

An interesting and well-told story about a planet, hundreds of light years away, that is connected with the Federation every 33 years by a rift in space. The book covers First Contact, when Spock was with Captain Pike, and Second Contact, "present" time with Captain Kirk. Another tale of diplomacy gone awry, but pretty good nonetheless. Spock makes an uncharacteristic funny on pg. 272. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 8, 2007 |
What Peter David does best, beld together various incarnations of TREK and turn it into something original and unexpected.
  usagi | Oct 28, 2005 |
"Most people are on the world, not in it--
have no conscious sympathy or relationship to anything about them--
undiffused, separate, and rigidly alone
like marbles of polished stone, touching but separate."
Dedicated to
Shana, Guinevere, Emily Michael, and Bun-in-the-Oven

the genuine "Next Generation."
The captain of the Enterprise stared up at the shimmering viewscreen and said thoughtfully, "Opinion, Number One."

WE ARE BOTH INTELLIGENT, REASONABLE PEOPLES ... " KIRK SAID EVENLY

"I'm certain that we can work matters out to our mutual satisfaction."

"Are you willing to bet your crew on that , Captain KIrk? Asked Macro. "Because until such time that you return our Master Builder to us, we will hold on to your contact team. And I remind you, Captain, that the rift will close in just a few hours. I suggest you use the time wisely."

Kirk sagged back in his chair and rubbed his forehead. "perfect," he said, "just perfect."

Every thirty-three years, a rift in space connects the Federation with a mysterious race called the Calligar who live on a planet hundreds of light years away -- much too far to travel in a Starship. Captain Kirk and the U.S.S. Enterpriseā„¢ are dispatched to transport a Federation delegation of diplomats, scholars and scientists who will travel to Calligar directly during the brief period of time that the rift will be open.

Mr. Spock leads the Federation party as they travel by shuttle through the rift just as a group of the aliens arrive in Federation space. The meetings go smoothly until the Calligar take Spock's party hostage and Kirk discovers that the aliens are keeping a deadly secret. With angry Tellarite and Andorain fleets ready to attack the Calligar, Kirk must save Spock and the others before war breaks out and the rift closes for another fifty years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,291,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible