Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Talking to Dragons (1985)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4)

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle by Deva Fagan (dylanesque)
    dylanesque: Talking to Dragons and the Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle share an irreverent, light-hearted tone, a magical coming-of-age quest, unlikely friends, and a rich magical world.
    Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and humour, as well as pushing against the stereotypes and rigid expectations that society believes people fall into just because of what they are.

English (29)  German (1)  All languages (30)
I immediately handed them down to my 10 year old nephew. GREAT series. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
On the day when a wizard destroys the front door of their house, Daystar’s mother hands him a sword and tells him not to come home again until he can explain why she sent him away. Questing his way through the Enchanted Forest, Daystar befriends a lizard, a fire witch, and a young dragon, and encounters elves, dwarves, witches, wizards, and many others before his quest is complete and he learns the truth about his extraordinary sword.

Not my favorite of the series, but still a very good book, and it does an admirable job of answering the questions left unanswered at the end of the previous book. It’s a good ending to the series, but I never want the series to end — maybe that’s why I don’t love this book best of all? ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 17, 2019 |
Daystar is living as perfectly normal of a life as someone can while living on the edge of the Enchanted Forest until a wizard visits his mother and gets melted. With no explanation, his mother than hands him a sword and pushes him into the forest and tells him to figure it out. It doesn't take him long to find an adventure and pick up some interesting companions along the way, including a teenage Dragon and a fire-witch with a block on doing magic. A lizard occasionally points the way.

While written first I, for once*, agree that Talking to Dragons should be read last. It could be argued that the prequels take away a lot of the mystery is taken away, because the readers know what to expect, but I don't agree. A reader may know who Daystar is, and who Morwen and Telemain, etc., are, but the mechanics of what he has to do to break the spell are unique to Talking, and that's enough.

The world of youth fiction has changed considerably in thirty years, but Wrede was ahead of the game in creating sophisticated, charming characters - with one irritating blue exception - that allows her stories to stand up with the fantasy coming out today.

Previous: Calling on Dragons

*I feel like hiding every copy of The Magician's Nephew in the store so no one's even tempted to read it until they've read A Horse and His Boy. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
3.5 - I just didn't take to these characters like I did Cimorene and such. Still charming and fun, though. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
While [book: Calling on Dragons] was a fairly marvelous book (and starring Morwen no less), [book: Talking to Dragons] was a bit of a disappointment. There was far too much action happening behind the scenes for my liking, and the switch from third person to first person point of view was downright jarring. The book read more like a first draft than it did a final product. I don't know if it was rushed or what, but it's a bit shocking when reading the books straight through to see it change this much...

[book: Talking to Dragons] follows the adventure of Daystar, Cimorene and Mendanbar's son, as he seeks to do... he's not entirely certain what. Daystar is clueless, as he has to be in order for things to work, but for the reader this is a somewhat maddening situation. We know he's meant to free Mendanbar, but he doesn't even know who Mendanbar is, let alone what the sword we've been following for the past two books is, etc. What should be a climactic final battle is wholly absent. We meet characters we know and love for the "first time" and they make important life choices behind the scenes. Maddening.

Anyway, this book was something I enjoyed as a kid and is probably fine for the 9 year old reading it for the first time. It just becomes irritating when the rest of the books are so great. This is a fluffy, strange addition to a phenomenal series. It's necessary in order to get resolution, but I can't help but feel a bit cheated by it all. Daystar should have been so much more. They all should have been more. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hartman, DaliaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paarma, Susanna(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puda, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seve, Peter deCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For NATE (who started it),
and for the rest of the Scribblies:
STEVE, PAM, KARA,
WILL, and EMMA.
Mother taught me to be polite to dragons.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152046917, Paperback)

One day, Daystar's mom, Cimorene, hands him a magic sword and kicks him out of the house. Daystar doesn't know what he is supposed to do with the magic sword, but knowing Cimorene, he's sure it must involve a dragon or two!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:00 -0400)

After many years of hiding, Queen Cimorene sends her sixteen-year-old son, Daystar, into the Enchanted Forest with the kingdom's sword to once again stop the evil wizards' magic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible