dismiss

The Acid House by Irvine Welsh

The Acid House (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Irvine Welsh

Nominated for a BAFTA award. From the author of Trainspotting, an adaptation of another of his best-selling works - a collection of short stories - The Acid House Trilogy The Acid House Trilogy is made up of three of Welsh's most powerful stories; The Granton Star Cause (starring Stephen McCole and Maurice Roeves), The Acid House (starring Ewen Bremner, Martin Clunes and Jemma Redgrave) and A Soft Touch (starring Kevin McKidd and Michelle Gomez). All three stories come from the rough, tough badlands of the schemes of North Edinburgh and take us into a dark but hilarious world of drugs, deviant sex and football hooliganism fired by Welsh's passion and fierce steaming rock and roll.… (more)
Member:Skaidon
Title:The Acid House
Authors:Irvine Welsh
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1995), Paperback, 289 pages

The Acid House by Irvine Welsh (1994)

The common theme in the reviews quoted inside my edition of 'The Acid House' is 'exhilirating'. They're definitely startling stories, full of weird twists. Irvine Welsh does his best to avoid any sort of literary convention of language, structure, subject matter or taste. It has a feel of being punk literature, short little stories that are out to shock and reinvent, that value originality over refinement.

Like a lot of punk music as well, it was a more shocking at the time. A bit of that abrasiveness has worn off over the twenty years since 'The Acid House' was published, but thankfully Welsh's writing is strong enough and unique enough that this doesn't really matter.

It's still weird enough that it won't be to everyone's taste. The Scots language will alienate some of its audience and draw others in, as the other reviews on LibraryThing testify. But if you want a bit of slash and burn literature, a palate cleanser, then this might be what you're looking for. ( )
  AaronPt | Feb 19, 2014 |
I admit I had very little idea what to expect when I picked up THE ACID HOUSE, but TRAINSPOTTING worked for me so I thought why not.

Welsh does bizarre, in your face scenarios; flawed, mad, bad, unlucky or just flat out odd characters; and he does a great line in Scottish venacular. What he doesn't do is pull any punches.

As with many short story collections from a single author, there are some that will work better than others for all readers. But to be a reader of this book you're going to have to have a high tolerance for "language", in your face drug taking, and being dragged backwards through the wild side.

The only proviso I'd make is if you've not read other collections or books, this may not be the best place to start. ( )
  austcrimefiction | Sep 6, 2011 |
I never really got into the book.
First it was difficult to read because of the bits written in scots. It felt like hours just to read a single page. Besides I didn't care much for most of the stories. A lot of them seemed random and pointless, especially the ones with supernatural storylines thrown in. They were either too carefully crafted and artificial or too random. I don't normally mind the bizarre, but in these stories I found it to be neither original nor funny.
I had my occasional laughs and I liked Eurotrash and most of the Smart Cunt, so I'll give it 6 points.
  verenka | Jun 17, 2010 |
Welsh's overuse of dialect often drives the reader to distraction in this collection of short fiction. ( )
  sixwoolsocks | Feb 9, 2010 |
These short stories are so brutal and so funny in the same time that I think only Welsh can do that and make a fantastic collection. Some of the stories are really disgusting, but I like them :) ( )
  marta2303 | Sep 19, 2009 |
For my parents, Pete and Jean Welsh, for all their love and support.
Lovely casserole, Marge, I remarked in between frantic mouthfuls.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,842,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible