Crown Volume 1 by Shinji Wada

Crown Volume 1

by Shinji Wada

Series: Crown (1)

Mahiro is a cheerful, hard-working orphan who everyone loves, except for the horrible family that took her in after her parents died. When Mahiro caught the dad peeking at her while she was changing, she opted to leave and live on her own. Ren and Jake, two talented and hot mercenaries, kidnap her from one of her jobs, kick the horrible family out of her parents' house, and then take her to their condo. That's when Mahiro finally learns that Ren is her long-lost brother and that she is a princess who is in grave danger. Their stepmother, Lady Phoebula, wants Mahiro dead so that she can have the pendant that is the key to becoming queen of the country of Regalia. However, neither snipers nor hordes of soldiers will keep Ren from giving Mahiro the best birthday ever.

Right, so this series is over-the-top and knows it. Ren and Jake are OMG hot!!!, Mahiro is so sweet that her very aura can turn any enemy who is not complete cardboard into an ardent admirer, and several of the villains rely on the incredibly lazy stereotype of the Evil Fat Person.

Readers are supposed to believe that Ren and Jake are the perfect mercenaries, capable of taking on a hundred men without breaking a sweat. However, Jake is weak against women and literally becomes petrified when he's hugged by one. And Ren...well, he's just unbelievably great at everything. No explanation is given for how he and Jake managed to perfectly plan and set up a trap for over a hundred trained men, all by themselves. Also, Ren and Jake somehow manage to wear camo uniforms and bulletproof vests underneath expensive suits, so they can be appropriately dressed for battle at a moment's notice.

I'm sure that the whole bit with the crystal pendant was supposed to be very pretty and magical, but, in this already over-the-top series, the addition of supernatural elements seemed like a bit too much. In addition, I was very uncomfortable with the hints of future incestuous romance – Mahiro almost did a love divination for herself and Ren, and Ren and Mahiro are so touchy feely with each other that even Jake thinks it's a bit odd.

I'm not sold on this series yet, and there are already some warning signs of things I won't like. Still, the art is pretty, and sometimes over-the-top cheese is nice. I own the second volume, so I'll continue on.

Extras:

A funny little "what happens after the cover image scene" comic on the first page, a two-page comic-style author's note, and a one-and-a-half-page comic-style artist's note.

Rating Note:

My personal grade was a C/C-. I went with a C (3 stars) because, so far at least, my enjoyment of the art and some of the over-the-top aspects outweighs my discomfort with the hints of future brother-sister romance.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Aug 9, 2014 |
Let's start positive: the art (or more shallowly put: the guys) is (or are) gorgeous. You Higuri delivers there - and I'm just shallow enough to keep the book just for that.

The characters aren't too bad either - you've got your average teenage girl (who's secretly a princess), her handsome brother and his best friend (who are, I kid you not, modern day mercenaries and a two-man army), a femme fatale (who's actually not a femme) and your standard grumpy bad-guy-turned-good-by-the-loveability-of-the-teenage-girl-who's-secretly-a-princess. Plus, of course, the Really Bad Guys, who are all ugly and therefore beneath my attention.

Sounds shallow? That's because, basically, the manga as a whole is exactly that. You don't need to think - in fact, you desperately need to /not/ think. Just enjoy the pretty guys traipsing around, sowing death and destruction (but they're the Good Guys, so it's all right). There's shower-scenes and some vaguely incestuous hugging to be enjoyed as well - it's not /all/ gung-ho action-movie type of stuff.

With a bucket of popcorn and the right attitude, this manga's not a bad choice for girls (or guys?) who are just looking for some fun. ( )
1 vote misura | Aug 10, 2009 |
The story of a poor girl who suddenly discovers that she’s a fabulously wealthy princess, Crown feels sort of like a Roald Dahl or Harry Potter book, except that instead of “magic” the heroes’ special power is sniping and setting explosives.

Shinji Wadaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schilling, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Mahiro thought she was all alone in the world, until her long-lost brother and his best friend showed up and turned everything upside-down! Ruthless and dangerous, the two men have vowed to protect the innocent girl from the ambitious queen who wants her dead. As Mahiro learns more about her forgotten past, she and her handsome bodyguards must face explosions, assassins, betrayal-- and budding romance"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,888,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible