Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea…

Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical… (original 2002; edition 2013)

by John Piper

Member:pmfloyd1
Title:Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry, Updated and Expanded Edition
Authors:John Piper
Info:B&H Books (2013), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 320 pages

Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry by John Piper (2002)

Recently added byMattSchmidly, barhbar, private library, drenno, DustinJo, Justin_Bailey, JohnKoh, MaestroRequiem

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very helpful thoughts on pastoral ministry. The updated edition contains several new chapters, one of which humbly corrects an imbalance in the first edition by arguing that God does in fact make much of us in Christ. Another new chapter addresses the homiletic issue of matching the tone of the message to the tone of the text, which for me has been an instructive way of examining a message beyond simple textual faithfulness. Chapter 27, on the value of bodily exercise, humanizes the book in an important way. Overall, a very good book that has only gotten better. ( )
  cjsdg | May 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Piper always tries to write in a way that will communicate to his readers instead of build up his own image. He also writes from the heart, and that is evident on every page. This new edition is even better than the first, and well worth not only your money but your time.
  Tertius | Mar 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having read the first edition back in 2002, I was eager to see what had been added. Chapters like "Bitzer was a Banker" and "Beware of the Debtors Ethic" were etched into my heart upon the first reading of them. This is one of my all-time favorite books by John Piper.

The second edition improves on the first, by adding six new chapters on God's love for His people (4), the glory of God is the highest good of the Gospel (6), the task of preaching the Bible with authority (13), the duty to preach in accord with the tone of the text (18), the necessity of fighting habitual sins (22), and the need to watch your body, as well as your heart, in order to maximize your ministry (27). These chapters are strong additions to what was already a wonderful and heart-searching read.

My only critique would be that the additional chapters being interspersed through the book results in page numbering and chapter numbers being quite different. For the individual reader, this is not a challenge, but when read as a group, its important to ensure that either (a) everyone has the same edition, or (b) the chapter titles of what's being read are communicated so that each person reads the correct pages. ( )
  bulldog | Dec 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
John Piper. Brothers, We Are NOT Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry. Rev. Ed. Nashville: B & H Publishing, 2013. 320 pp. $14.99.

Upon completing his doctoral dissertation, John Piper became a professor of Biblical Studies at Bethel University and Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota (1974-1980). He served as the pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota for 33 years (1980-2013). In 1986, Piper wrote his first book, Desiring God, in which he coined the term Christian hedonist. Since that time, he has authored dozens of books. In 1994 he founded Desiring God Ministries, a non-for-profit parachurch ministry which provides numerous Christian resources free-of-charge.

Brothers, We Are NOT Professionals was first published in 2002. This expanded edition has great cover art. The title continues to be controversial and misunderstood by clergy and laity alike. The book consists of 36 chapters which tackle issues of prayer, baptism, marriage, money, racism, and the art and science of preaching. ( )
  amramey | Dec 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From the title alone you can probably figure out that the intended audience of this book is pastors. I am no pastor. I do not have the desire nor have I ever felt the calling to be one. I am, however, a layman with a passion to be used by God and I have learned over the years that books addressed to pastors are very often quite good for this purpose. This book, in particular, I found to be extremely helpful because John Piper writes to pastors but he writes in a style that any layman can easily understand. Piper is more interested in communicating an important message effectively than he is in writing a tome full of big theological terms. For this I am extremely grateful!

This book is laid out in very short but profound chapters, and in each one Piper calls upon his fellow pastors to engage differently with his flock. Every chapter stays true to the overall theme of the book, which is Piper's call for pastors to stop thinking of themselves as members of the pastoral profession and instead to look at themselves as outcasts. He states in the very beginning that "[w]e are aliens and exiles in the world (1 Pet 2:11). Our citizenship is in heaven, and we wait with eager expectation for the Lord (Phil 3:20). You cannot professionalize the love for His appearing without killing it. And it is being killed." Piper urges pastors to do away with the mentality of the professional and instead hold on to the mentality of a prophet.

I love this. I have met way too many professional pastors and so pitifully few prophetic ones. I have met too many men that stand behind the pulpit who care more for professional organizations than they do for the hurting sheep and for the lost of the world. I think this book should be read by every pastor. Furthermore, I think this book should be read by all Believers, because the challenge in its pages is for all Christians and not just those called to preach His Word from the pulpits of the churches.

Chapters with titles like:
"Brothers, Be Bible-Oriented- Not Entertainment-Oriented- Preachers"
"Brothers, Query the Text"
"Brothers, Show Your People Why God Inspired Hard Texts"
"Brothers, Feel the Truth of Hell"

Chapters like this and many others are guaranteed to at least challenge us into critically regarding the complacency into which so many of us have fallen.

So, please. If you are a pastor, read this book. Please, if you are a Christian, seriously consider reading this book. I cannot recommend it highly enough. ( )
  enoch_elijah | Oct 27, 2013 |

Brothers, We Are Not Professional

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

39 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Brothers, We Are Not Professionals by John Piper was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,659,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible