U zult versteld staan van onze…

U zult versteld staan van onze beweeglijkheid (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Dave Eggers, Dirk-Jan Arensman (Translator)

Member:divinenanny
Title:U zult versteld staan van onze beweeglijkheid
Authors:Dave Eggers (Author)
Other authors:Dirk-Jan Arensman (Translator)
Info:Vassallucci (2002), Amsterdam, Hardcover, 399p.
Collections:Your library, eBooks, To read, Buy and Get 2011, Unread, Readable
Tags:fiction

You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers (2002)

The Dart League King: A Novel by Keith Lee Morris (whitewavedarling)
    How We Are Hungry by Dave Eggers (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: I racconti sono più... precisi, meno ripetitivi del romanzo, che comunque mi è sembrato molto divertente, e originale.

Will, burdened with a large inheritance, sets off round the world with his friend Hand with the aim of giving it away. Aside from the rather odd plot, the relationship between the two friends and their absurd activities make it a good read. ( )
  presto | Apr 24, 2012 |
This book is mindblowingly brilliant. It manages to go beyond being a book and brings the story into the real world, almost as a piece of performance art. I can't say more about that without giving any spoilers, but I will say the best way to read it is to read the first edition, wait until you would go back to reread as with any other book, but read the second edition instead.

Regardless of which you read, the episodes are touching, funny and horrifying by turns. The characters are wonderfully rendered and the structure (travel accounts alternating with flashback sequences) will never leave you bored.
  sholt2001 | Jun 28, 2010 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit "Catcher in the Rye goes on Holiday" and now that I've seen Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited 3 or 4 years later, I'd say they are similar in tone. ( )
  jentifer | Aug 15, 2009 |
Very cool travel story meets Brewster's Millions. I love the concept of the journey, the friendship between the main characters, and the layout of the book. Leave it to Dave Eggers to redefine how to publish a book. ( )
  Djupstrom | Apr 26, 2008 |
I really wanted to like this book, but I just did not. It is not that the book is badly written or that the concept is boring (it is really quite outrageous and unique to travel around the world giving out your inheritance to those "deserving" poor), it is just that the sense of adventure that I expected from a journey around the world is missing. Maybe it's just that I expect a lot because I have travelled a lot and I find the exotic locales and peoples of this book can be and must be much more fascinating than presented in these pages. ( )
  lenoreva | Apr 16, 2008 |

Dave Eggersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Beth.
I was talking to Hand, one of my two best friends, the one still alive, and we were planning to leave.
Anyway, I read news and look for and collect facts because so far they haven't added up anything. I had pictured, as a younger man, that the things I knew and would know were bricks in something that would, effortlessly, eventually, shape itself into something recognizable, meaningful. A massive and spiritual sort of geometry - a ziggurat, a pyramid. But here I am now, so many years on, and if there is a shape to all this, it hasn't revealed itself. But no, thus far the things I know grow out, not up, and what might connect all these things, connective tissues or synapses, or just some sense of order, doesn't exist, or isn't functioning, and what I knew at twenty-seven can't be found now.
To travel is selfish -- that money could be used for hungry stomachs and you're using it for your hungry eyes, and the needs of the former must trump the latter, right? And are there individual needs? How much disbelief, collectively, must be suspended, to allow for tourism?"
Her English was seamless. Everyone’s was. I had sixty words of Spanish and Hand had maybe twice that in French, and that was it. How had this happened? Everyone in the world knew more than us, about everything, and this I hated then found hugely comforting.
So I have advice for you guys. I don't want you to actually use it. I just want you to hear it, have it, sometime after the fact--after it's useful. Don't listen to me. Advice so rarely finds its intended audience. It's like the sword in the stone--you leave it there, maybe someday someone finds it useful. Sorry, people--we're driving through Latvia and I can't vouch for my state of mind. 1. Thoughts are made of water and water always finds a way. 2. If you can't dodge the water, run. 3. There are bears and there are small dogs. Be strong like a bear! If they take out your teeth, sit on the dogs. Bears always forget they can just sit on the dogs. Sit on the dogs! 4. If your house is haunted bring in your friends and start tearing the walls down. How can they haunt a house that you take apart? Aha!
Don't confuse this work with the revised and expanded version entitled "Sacrament" which was issued by Vintage with the title "You Shall Know Our Velocity!" - Note the added explanation point at the end.

Will and Hand, two young Americans, decide to travel around the world handing over large amounts of money to those who need it. This trip will, they hope, be an answer to the overwhelming grief they feel after their friend's death. But, as they soon find out, nothing is quite so simple.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:49 -0400)

After acquiring $32,000, Will and Hand, devastated over the death of their closest friend, travel around the world giving away the money.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,412,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible