Deadly Exposure by Leonard Goldberg

Deadly Exposure

by Leonard Goldberg

This book isn't very good. I read it because my six year old son really liked the front cover art, and wanted me to read it. He wanted me to read it so much in fact that he bought two copies to give me.

The book starts off with something which feels like its lifted straight out of the Andromeda Strain, you know, government agency / possible alien infection / we need a crack team of scientists! The book then moves on to introduce a selection of surprisingly one sided characters -- the fat self obsessed scientist, the thin young lady obsessed with getting it on, et cetera. The story jumps around, with sometimes implausible outcomes... For example, people are mid argument, and just magically stop when something happens nearby. Do you know people who stop arguing because the lights flicker?

The book does pick up a little at the end, and I assume all the weird personification we're subjected to is an attempt to convey that the characters are losing their grip on sanity. Overall, I thought this book was quite rough, which is surprising from an author who apparently has had four other books published.

I have revenge on my six year old planned -- I am going to make him read this book when he is older.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Leonard_Goldberg/Deadly_Exposure.html ( )
  mikal | Oct 3, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451408721, Mass Market Paperback)

High concept doesn't get much higher than the Titanic meets The Hot Zone plot of Leonard S. Goldberg's fifth medical thriller. Forensic pathologist Joanna Blalock finds cholera in a dead Chinese infant in Los Angeles, and then is immediately whizzed by a top government security officer to Global Explorer II, a floating laboratory off the coast of Alaska, where a giant, glittering iceberg seems to be releasing a deadly, 65-million-year-old toxin.

Crew members sicken and die, unwittingly aided by an oversexed technician; a storm at sea threatens to capsize the ship; a mysterious cholera epidemic somehow linked to the frozen toxin hits the world; and somebody onboard has personal reasons for hastening the deaths of several members of the world-class scientific team.

It's all heady stuff, loaded with scientific jargon on everything from autopsies to evolution, but Goldberg keeps it moving with muscle and brainpower. And the attractive, vulnerable Blalock holds it all together with her own carefully cultivated credibility. Other Blalock books: Deadly Care, Deadly Harvest, Deadly Medicine, and A Deadly Practice. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

A killer microbe is discovered in an iceberg off the coast of Alaska. As people begin dying, forensic pathologist Joanna Blalock is dispatched to a U.S. Navy laboratory ship trying to isolate it and learns that the iceberg is sentient.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,304,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible