The Cross of Christ: 20th Anniversary…

The Cross of Christ: 20th Anniversary Edition (original 1986; edition 2007)

by John Stott, Simon Vance (Narrator)

Member:chrisargo
Title:The Cross of Christ: 20th Anniversary Edition
Authors:John Stott
Other authors:Simon Vance (Narrator)
Info:

The Cross of Christ by John R. W. Stott (1986)

Lots of amazing (and important) stuff in here, but not an easy or quick read. Took me almost five months (not solidly of course) and after that I'm sure there would be an awful lot to be gained from reading it again. Hopefully I will at some point in the future. ( )
1 vote fluteflute | Apr 21, 2014 |
This is one of the hardest book that I ever read. I did felt like that I need to have a P.H.D degree to read this. I have learned a lot out of it. It is a great book for "book club" group to talk about what you have learned each chapter for each weeks. See my blog about this. ( )
1 vote Guerite | Jul 16, 2009 |
A masterpiece - possibly the definitive work on substitutionary atonement, which makes it all the more important for the present decade, when there are many who claim to be evangelicals but deny this historic doctrine.

Stott looks at the Cross from all angles, including its symbolic significance to the church, the reasons which necessitated it, and the consequences of it (theologically, personally, socially, etc.). One of the brilliant points that this book establishes is that though there are many pictures for the atonement (courtroom, marketplace, conquest, etc.), the concept of substitution is behind them all.

D.A. Carson's endorsement was accurate: this is one of those rare must-own, must-read books. ( )
1 vote andrewlovesoldbooks | Dec 27, 2008 |
This is on my 'to read' list
  MichaelTBee | Mar 21, 2008 |

John R. W. Stottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, AlisterForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 083083320X, Hardcover)

The work of a lifetime, from one of the world's most influential thinkers, about the heart of the Christian faith.

"I could never myself believe in God, if it were not for the cross. . . . In the real world of pain, how could one worship a God who was immune to it?" With compelling honesty John Stott confronts this generation with the centrality of the cross in God's redemption of the world -- a world now haunted by the memories of Auschwitz, the pain of oppression and the specter of nuclear war.

More than a study of the atonement, this book brings Scripture into living dialogue with Christian theology and the twentieth century. What emerges is a pattern for Christian life and worship, hope and mission.

Destined to be a classic study of the center of our faith, Stott's work is the product of a uniquely gifted pastor, scholar and Christian statesman. His penetrating insight, charitable scholarship and pastoral warmth are guaranteed to feed both heart and mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:45 -0400)

"'I could never myself believe in God, if it were not for the cross... In the real world of pain, how could one worship a God who was immune to it?' With compelling honesty John Stott confronts this generation with the centrality of the cross in God's redemption of the world - a world now haunted by the memories of Auschwitz, the pain of oppression and the specter of nuclear war. Can we see triumph in tragedy, victory in shame? Why should an object of Roman distaste and Jewish disgust be the emblem of our worship and the axiom of our faith? And what does it mean for us today? Now from one of the foremost preachers and Christian leaders of our day comes theology at its readable best, a contemporary restatement of the meaning of the cross. At the cross Stott finds the majesty and love of God disclosed, the sin and bondage of the world exposed. More than a study of the atonement, this book brings Scripture into living dialog with Christian theology and the twentieth century. What emerges is a pattern for Christian life and worship, hope and mission. Destined to be a classic study of the center of our faith, Stott's work is the product of a uniquely gifted pastor, scholar and Christian statesman. His penetrating insight, charitable scholarship and pastoral warmth are guaranteed to feed both heart and mind" -- www.amazon.com… (more)

137 wanted3 pay4 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,350,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible