Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

Turn Coat

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (11)

English (100)  German (1)  All languages (101)
Each entry in the Dresden Files is now an intense, page-turning experience. The thing that amazes me is how elements of the overall saga keep fitting into each individual novel, and in a way that carries the plot of each story. I think Butcher has done a masterful job with this series, and this story definitely keeps up. The comic moments and witty banter are still there, but they don't take away or diminish from the tension building, or somehow make the characters less interesting or even believable. Bring on the next one..... ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
A wounded Warden Morgan shows up at Dresden's apartment, asking for protection since he's been framed for a murder and it's up to Dresden and his friends to figure out who tells the truth. Another great installment in the series with lots of great action scenes and a proper mystery to solve. And it features the most powerful and scary skinwalker I've ever encountered in fiction - and we'll probably see more of it since it gets away. Mouse is, as always, a great character, and Molly Carpenter gets to be properly useful in her own right, which is excellent - the grasshopper is catching up! James Marsters is a great reader for this series and the audiobooks are, thus, highly recommended. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 10, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Library

My Guest reviewers:
A: My 17-yr-old daughter
T: My 15-yr-old son
K: My 13-yr-old son

Serious shenanigans are afoot in Chicago and the White Council. When Harry opens his door to an injured Warden Donald Morgan he has a choice to make and quickly. Trust that Morgan didn’t commit treason by killing Senior Council Member LaFortier and help him uncover who did to clear Morgan’s name or toss him out on his ass and let him fend for himself. It’s a well-known fact Harry and Morgan don’t get along, but Harry finds it hard to believe Morgan would kill a Senior Council Member. It would be easier to just kick Morgan out and go about his business. But when has Harry ever done the easy thing?

Things really get complicated in this tale. Harry is set upon by a skinwalker that is really super badass. Something far stronger, faster and powerful than anything he has come up against before. We had no idea how he was going to beat the damn thing since it was nigh immortal. Harry’s solution is, as always, daring and highly entertaining. As for Morgan’s predicament, we all agreed that even though Harry can’t stand Morgan, he is an honest guy who just isn’t the type to commit treason, so we approved of him helping Morgan. Plus, Harry has this thing about doing the right thing even if it’s for someone who can be a regular asshat (my word).

The kids did not like the ending even though it was inevitable considering everything that was going on. I can’t say more without posting multiple spoilers. Yes, this one is a bit complicated, but totally worth it though I agree with the kids about the end. We had an “Oh, shit” moment when…nope, can’t say more. Let me just say that there is a lot of info, a lot of cool magic, a lot of shadow chasing, some serious ass kicking and the usual humor. It is quite the roller coaster ride!

Favorite quotes:

“I love being a wizard. Every day is like Disneyland.”

“You," Madeline said, her voice hollow and wheezing, "are like a bad case of herpes, wizard. You're inconvenient, embarassing, no real threat, and you simply will not go away.”

“This is Waldo Butters, and his geek penis is longer and harder than any of ours put together.” ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Oct 1, 2014 |
Hill called sadness, downhill from here. sadsadsad! ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
Turn Coat
4 Stars

Series note: It is essential that the books in this series be read in order. Events from earlier installments play an important role in later ones and it is virtually impossible to follow the storyline by beginning with this book.

As usual, the action in Turn Coat begins immediately when Donald Morgan, Harry's Nemesis, collapses on his doorstep with the Wardens hot on his heels. Morgan is suspected of murder and it is up to Harry to find traitor within the White Council, exonerate Morgan and protect his friends from a rampaging Skinwalker.

Much of the plot revolves around the search for the traitor and the internal politics of the White Council but Harry also suffers some personal loses and those closest to him are put in harms way. Readers are finally rewarded with the identity of the traitor but after all the build up, the revelation has its problems and is not as satisfying as it could have been.

All in all, old mysteries are solved but new ones are introduced and it will be interesting to see how things develop from here. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Aug 20, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bob. Sleep well.
The summer sun was busy broiling the asphalt from Chicago's streets, the agony in my head had kept me horizontal for half a day, and some idiot was pounding on my apartment door.

Wizard Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court is easing up, no one's tried to kill him lately, and his eager apprentice is starting to learn real magic. For once, the future looks fairly bright.

But the past casts one hell of a long shadow.

Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, calls in an old favor from Harry. just one small favor he can't refuse - one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally and strain his skills and loyalties to their very limits.

And everything was going so well for once ...
-------------------------------
When it comes to the wizard's White Council, Harry Dresden is thought of as either a black sheep or a sacrificial lamb. And no one holds him in more disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules. But now Morgan is in trouble. He's been accused of cold-blooded murder - a crime with only one final punishment.

He's on the run, wanting his name cleared, and he needs someone with knack for backing the underdog. So it's up to Harry to uncover a traitor within the Council, keep Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.
------------------------------
In the Dresden Files, New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher has built a world hailed as "dynamic and complex, and utterly fascinating."* Now Chicago's only professional wizard, Harry Dresden, is about to find that the one thing more dangerous than his mortal enemies may be his closest allies...

When it comes to the magical ruling body known as the White Council, Harry keeps his nose clean and his head down. For years, the Council has held a death mark over Harry's head. He's still thought of as a black sheep by some - and as a sacrificial lamb by others. But none regard him with more suspicion and disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules.

Like Harry.

So when Morgan turns up asking for help, Harry isn't exactly eager to leap into action. Morgan has been accused of treason against the White Council - and there's only one final punishment for that crime. He's on the run, he wants his name cleared, and he needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog.

Like Harry.

Now Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep less than agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.

Like Harry...

*Huntress Book Reviews
Will Warden Dresden
really defy the Council
just to save Morgan?
(swensonj)

Harry must uncover a traitor within the Wizards of the White Council, keep a less-than-agreeable warden under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head--someone like Harry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,374,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible