Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

Turn Coat

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (11)

Recently added byNoree, knersus, Windering, G_Riv, drhapgood, private library, buriedinsatin, galphin, ladyofbadgers

English (96)  German (1)  All languages (97)
Turn Coat
The Dresden Files, Book #11
By Jim Butcher; narrated by James Marsters
(P) 2009, Penguin Audio
14 hours, 40 minutes

Warden Morgan comes to Harry Dresden, famed Chicagoan wizard detective and fellow warden, for sanctuary and help. It appears that Morgan has been framed for the murder of a senior White Council wizard. The act could create a schism within the Council and further fuel an ongoing war with other supernatural factions. Though Morgan has been historically Harry's enemy within the Council, Harry decides to take up the cause in the name of truth, justice, and the discovery who might be behind this treacherous double act of homicide and treason. The hook into the story was excellent and the plot tracks very well. Butcher's writing seems to have evened out and gotten better since Blood Rites (the nadir of Butcher's writing skills in The Dresden Files) though there are a few cut-and-paste phrases that are used multiple times within the story, and Butcher is addicted to his movies and cliched physical prototypes. Marsters, as always, inhabits the character of Harry completely, though there are moments where the narrative flow seems to jump in logic, maybe from the way Marsters interprets the lines. Characters are clearly delineated and Spike fans get to hear a bit of Marsters' British clip in the character of Binder :-)
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Jul 2, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

I really enjoyed this installment of the series.

Butcher brings together numerous supernatural forces from past books in this one, and they all collide in new, interesting, and complex ways that will inevitably reflect on later plot points in later books. I love how Butcher has been gradually increasing the number of forces involved in the plots since Book One instead of just having each book focused on one force at a time. This tactic allows Butcher to craft very unique plot lines that keep characters from past books relevant and developing throughout the series.

With this book, I like how the emphasis finally returned to the White Council. They’ve been in the background throughout a lot of the series, only coming to the forefront at certain times. This book delved into the inner workings of the Council in a way that none of the previous books have, and it gave a new dimension to Harry’s views on the Council, as well as the inevitability of certain events involving the Council in subsequent books.

I also enjoyed how Butcher changes the dynamics of character relationships in this one. There are major shifts in how certain characters interact in this book, and I like that Butcher doesn’t let any particular relationship stagnate. The characters’ personalities change and develop over time, and their relationships do as well. It’s a great way to prevent any particular character/relationship elements from becoming dull in such a long series.

Finally, like usual, I enjoyed the complex foreshadowing and setups for the sequels. Butcher has always included a level of foreshadowing that a lot of writers don’t, and in this book, the clues pointed toward world-changing events to come. This book did a great job setting up the impending conflicts between numerous major forces in the Dresden Verse, and I can’t wait to see how they all collide throughout the rest of the series.

Yet again, another great Dresden Files novel! ( )
  TherinKnite | Jun 22, 2014 |
I keep having these 'say what' episodes while reading this series. See look...

Yes almost that ridiculous. This book took the series to a level up. Mr. Butcher isn't afraid to insert tragedy into his writings. He took a very realistic approach to the plot. There was a bit of political intrigue with the White Council, and finding the traitor. It kept me on edge, and I was left scratching my head until just about the page before it happened. Let me tell you, you'll never expect it.
I have a feeling that I'll be in tears at the end of the next book. I've been through all sorts of emotions with The Dresden Files.
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
3.5 stars
Turn Coat wasn??t quite as good as the couple of books that came before or the ones that come after (Iƒ??ve read through Cold Days). The plot wasnƒ??t as interesting and Morgan, an unlikeable fellow, is one of the key characters here. Also, I was disappointed that I actually guessed who the bad guy was early on (because Dresden gave me a clue by dealing with that character differently). But, I still enjoyed Turn Coat ƒ?? just not as much as the others. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Δολοπλοκίες, κατασκοπία, παγίδες, ο Ντρέσντεν τον ​τρώει από πενήντα μεριές κτλ.​

Antonis.Papadakis | Jan 30, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bob. Sleep well.
The summer sun was busy broiling the asphalt from Chicago's streets, the agony in my head had kept me horizontal for half a day, and some idiot was pounding on my apartment door.

Wizard Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court is easing up, no one's tried to kill him lately, and his eager apprentice is starting to learn real magic. For once, the future looks fairly bright.

But the past casts one hell of a long shadow.

Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, calls in an old favor from Harry. just one small favor he can't refuse - one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally and strain his skills and loyalties to their very limits.

And everything was going so well for once ...
-------------------------------
When it comes to the wizard's White Council, Harry Dresden is thought of as either a black sheep or a sacrificial lamb. And no one holds him in more disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules. But now Morgan is in trouble. He's been accused of cold-blooded murder - a crime with only one final punishment.

He's on the run, wanting his name cleared, and he needs someone with knack for backing the underdog. So it's up to Harry to uncover a traitor within the Council, keep Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.
------------------------------
In the Dresden Files, New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher has built a world hailed as "dynamic and complex, and utterly fascinating."* Now Chicago's only professional wizard, Harry Dresden, is about to find that the one thing more dangerous than his mortal enemies may be his closest allies...

When it comes to the magical ruling body known as the White Council, Harry keeps his nose clean and his head down. For years, the Council has held a death mark over Harry's head. He's still thought of as a black sheep by some - and as a sacrificial lamb by others. But none regard him with more suspicion and disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules.

Like Harry.

So when Morgan turns up asking for help, Harry isn't exactly eager to leap into action. Morgan has been accused of treason against the White Council - and there's only one final punishment for that crime. He's on the run, he wants his name cleared, and he needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog.

Like Harry.

Now Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep less than agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.

Like Harry...

*Huntress Book Reviews
Will Warden Dresden
really defy the Council
just to save Morgan?
(swensonj)

Harry must uncover a traitor within the Wizards of the White Council, keep a less-than-agreeable warden under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head--someone like Harry.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible