Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (11)

Recently added byEyrinnia, nnschiller, kpevjen, mysterysf, Keksa, private library

English (98)  German (1)  All languages (99)
Hill called sadness, downhill from here. sadsadsad! ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
4 Stars

Series note: It is essential that the books in this series be read in order. Events from earlier installments play an important role in later ones and it is virtually impossible to follow the storyline by beginning with this book.

As usual, the action in Turn Coat begins immediately when Donald Morgan, Harry's Nemesis, collapses on his doorstep with the Wardens hot on his heels. Morgan is suspected of murder and it is up to Harry to find traitor within the White Council, exonerate Morgan and protect his friends from a rampaging Skinwalker.

Much of the plot revolves around the search for the traitor and the internal politics of the White Council but Harry also suffers some personal loses and those closest to him are put in harms way. Readers are finally rewarded with the identity of the traitor but after all the build up, the revelation has its problems and is not as satisfying as it could have been.

All in all, old mysteries are solved but new ones are introduced and it will be interesting to see how things develop from here. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Aug 20, 2014 |
Harry really had himself in a pickle this time. One of the big bads in Turn Coat was actually the politics of the Council, with all its layers and implications. While that may sound boring, the Council's politics are nothing to play with. They can be deadly for those who fall into disfavor -- literally. Then there's the potential for civil war hanging over everything. Politics isn't always boring!

AHEAD BE SPOILERS!

The situation made Harry's choices harder, and added a bit of irony (I mean, Morgan?). We see sides of Morgan we never expected, and sides we entirely expected. The clash of Morgan and Molly was full of tension, and I loved how Mouse handled them -- faking his injury to show Molly a lesson -- He rocks!

The other big bad, the Skinwalker, was a scary son of a bitch. It seemed strange at the time to see Listens to Wind rescue Harry from the demon, but that's when I realized the Skinwalker wasn't the big villain of the story. It was the traitor and the internal politics of the Council, and Harry had to uncover that traitor to save himself and Morgan.

Molly made a big mistake and I really felt for her. She can't seem to find that right path. Harry had no choice but to find a way out of the situation. The Council might have been a threat to his life, since they'd take his head too, but he'd also have to face the Wrath of Charity. And that wouldn't be pretty.

That goodbye scene between Murphy and Harry... so close! But just a tease. If it were Murphy going, I would have actually been worried she wasn't going to make it back. I saw the end of Luccio and Harry coming, but not quite in the way it came about. It doesn't necessarily give me hope for Murphy and Harry. I'm beginning to think they're one of those who can never have the happiness of being together.

I'm worried about a consequence that was alluded to as an aside and never brought up again -- and given how Jim Butcher works, it'll come back later to bite Harry in the ass. Rashid had warned Harry not to use the power from the island. But he did, perhaps without even realizing it. There was no mention of it after, but I wonder how it will play out in the coming stories. There's a lot we don't know about the island, about how his mother plays into it, and Harry's own power, but it's clearly connected to Harry's future. For now, hints and implications are all we have.

"See, here's the thing. Morgan was right: you can't win them all. But that doesn't mean that you give up. Not ever. Morgan never said that part -- he was too busy living it."

Harry ends this one more scarred than ever, literally. Two scars run down his face now. There were tough lessons to learn. And now there are more conspiracies to uncover. The ending was bittersweet, tough to swallow. I was really hoping for a better outcome. I'm anxious to go on to the next story and see if there's anything good in Harry's future.

And on rereading: (!!Spoilers for following books!!)

Now this books seems a big set-up for what's to come, Demonreach, the parasite, the Mantle, even Molly...

Roles have changed for several characters. Murphy is further set up for the sword, with her diminishing role with CPD. Thomas is further from Harry in a sense, but still stands by him. He's not the same person, though. The Nagloshi was right. He left nothing of Thomas for Harry. The Thomas he knew is gone.

Making the connection to Demonreach seems to be one of those things that Harry was destined to do. Luccio said that his feeling of familiarity with the island could be his prescience coming to maturity, which could mean the location will have significance for him in the future. I think it's clear there's a link b/w Harry and that island. And I think it's about more than Demonreach's later request. There's an overriding Something we have yet to learn.

Rashid knows something about it, I think. He's definitely involved in time travel. He knew too much, mentioned time quite a bit when talking with Harry, and he seemed to see into the future. He speaks as if he has Intellectus, a sense of everything at once rather than past, present, and future. Perhaps that's all 'time travel' is... I wonder if whatever he did to Demonreach has happened yet.

Rashid, Ebenezer, even Listens to Wind know way more than they let on to Harry. Do they know Harry is about to "die," become the Winter Knight? Perhaps they know even further into the future and know this is what has to happen for a better future than what they've seen. Maybe that's why Rashid warned Harry about Molly's black magic. He was trying to push events toward a better possible future than what he'd seen. If Harry's current life is a better option than what the other wizards have seen, that boy is definitely cursed.

They left hanging a mention of a connection of Madeleine Raith in Algiers. I wonder when that will come back into play.

Now I get to move on to the most traumatic book in the series. Oh joy. ( )
  monica67 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The Dresden Files, Book #11
By Jim Butcher; narrated by James Marsters
(P) 2009, Penguin Audio
14 hours, 40 minutes

Warden Morgan comes to Harry Dresden, famed Chicagoan wizard detective and fellow warden, for sanctuary and help. It appears that Morgan has been framed for the murder of a senior White Council wizard. The act could create a schism within the Council and further fuel an ongoing war with other supernatural factions. Though Morgan has been historically Harry's enemy within the Council, Harry decides to take up the cause in the name of truth, justice, and the discovery who might be behind this treacherous double act of homicide and treason. The hook into the story was excellent and the plot tracks very well. Butcher's writing seems to have evened out and gotten better since Blood Rites (the nadir of Butcher's writing skills in The Dresden Files) though there are a few cut-and-paste phrases that are used multiple times within the story, and Butcher is addicted to his movies and cliched physical prototypes. Marsters, as always, inhabits the character of Harry completely, though there are moments where the narrative flow seems to jump in logic, maybe from the way Marsters interprets the lines. Characters are clearly delineated and Spike fans get to hear a bit of Marsters' British clip in the character of Binder :-) ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Jul 2, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

I really enjoyed this installment of the series.

Butcher brings together numerous supernatural forces from past books in this one, and they all collide in new, interesting, and complex ways that will inevitably reflect on later plot points in later books. I love how Butcher has been gradually increasing the number of forces involved in the plots since Book One instead of just having each book focused on one force at a time. This tactic allows Butcher to craft very unique plot lines that keep characters from past books relevant and developing throughout the series.

With this book, I like how the emphasis finally returned to the White Council. They’ve been in the background throughout a lot of the series, only coming to the forefront at certain times. This book delved into the inner workings of the Council in a way that none of the previous books have, and it gave a new dimension to Harry’s views on the Council, as well as the inevitability of certain events involving the Council in subsequent books.

I also enjoyed how Butcher changes the dynamics of character relationships in this one. There are major shifts in how certain characters interact in this book, and I like that Butcher doesn’t let any particular relationship stagnate. The characters’ personalities change and develop over time, and their relationships do as well. It’s a great way to prevent any particular character/relationship elements from becoming dull in such a long series.

Finally, like usual, I enjoyed the complex foreshadowing and setups for the sequels. Butcher has always included a level of foreshadowing that a lot of writers don’t, and in this book, the clues pointed toward world-changing events to come. This book did a great job setting up the impending conflicts between numerous major forces in the Dresden Verse, and I can’t wait to see how they all collide throughout the rest of the series.

Yet again, another great Dresden Files novel! ( )
  TherinKnite | Jun 22, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bob. Sleep well.
The summer sun was busy broiling the asphalt from Chicago's streets, the agony in my head had kept me horizontal for half a day, and some idiot was pounding on my apartment door.

Wizard Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court is easing up, no one's tried to kill him lately, and his eager apprentice is starting to learn real magic. For once, the future looks fairly bright.

But the past casts one hell of a long shadow.

Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, calls in an old favor from Harry. just one small favor he can't refuse - one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally and strain his skills and loyalties to their very limits.

And everything was going so well for once ...
-------------------------------
When it comes to the wizard's White Council, Harry Dresden is thought of as either a black sheep or a sacrificial lamb. And no one holds him in more disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules. But now Morgan is in trouble. He's been accused of cold-blooded murder - a crime with only one final punishment.

He's on the run, wanting his name cleared, and he needs someone with knack for backing the underdog. So it's up to Harry to uncover a traitor within the Council, keep Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.
------------------------------
In the Dresden Files, New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher has built a world hailed as "dynamic and complex, and utterly fascinating."* Now Chicago's only professional wizard, Harry Dresden, is about to find that the one thing more dangerous than his mortal enemies may be his closest allies...

When it comes to the magical ruling body known as the White Council, Harry keeps his nose clean and his head down. For years, the Council has held a death mark over Harry's head. He's still thought of as a black sheep by some - and as a sacrificial lamb by others. But none regard him with more suspicion and disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules.

Like Harry.

So when Morgan turns up asking for help, Harry isn't exactly eager to leap into action. Morgan has been accused of treason against the White Council - and there's only one final punishment for that crime. He's on the run, he wants his name cleared, and he needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog.

Like Harry.

Now Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep less than agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.

Like Harry...

*Huntress Book Reviews
Will Warden Dresden
really defy the Council
just to save Morgan?
(swensonj)

Harry must uncover a traitor within the Wizards of the White Council, keep a less-than-agreeable warden under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head--someone like Harry.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible