The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander

The Black Cauldron (original 1965; edition 1975)

by Lloyd Alexander

4,587801,047 (4.12)1 / 147
Member:Remmik
Title:The Black Cauldron
Authors:Lloyd Alexander
Info:Dell Publishing Co., Inc. (1975), Paperback, 229 pages
Tags:(SB), Kids|Teens

The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (1965)

The Grey King by Susan Cooper (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: The Grey King is technically Book 4 of a series, but it could be read alone. Silver on the Tree also has Welsh mythology.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: The Hound of Rowan is modern, but it shares aspects of Welsh mythology.
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Medicinos)

I understand why people enjoy this adventure, and why it wears the Newbery Honor badge, but you really need to be interested in magical stories to keep your focus while reading (or in my case listening to the audio book). Even though the performance was good enough, I still found my thoughts constantly drifting away from the action. This is most likely because fantasy books need to do a lot of work to hold me captive, since it is not my favorite genre. In this regard, my review is mildly biased, though I admit that some of the Newbery books that I have read with the same type of theme have been able to convert me into a fantasy believer for a little while. This just wasn't one of them. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 24, 2017 |
Book 2 of the Chronicles of Prydain. I remember being blown away as a child when Elidyr throws himself into the cauldron at the end, redeeming himself from his treachery. Still touched as an adult. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
The second book in the Chronicles of Prydain, The Black Cauldron takes Taran and his companions on a dangerous mission- to steal the cauldron from Arawn and destroy his ability to create the zombie-like Cauldron Born.

aharey | Nov 30, 2016 |
One of my favorite books, much better than the movie! I loved the tale, and the characters became like family. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |

This book is full of adventure, but also has a deeper vein running through it. Taran faces some difficult choices and deals with tragic events. I really love how the author allows his characters to grow and develop, even with negative traits. I especially love when Taran is given a serious choice which really mirrors choices we all sometimes face- do we do what is right for ourselves or the greater good? I really love this book and truly hated the Disney version. I even had the audacity to point this out to the author, who wrote a really gracious letter back to a young teenage girl. He really was wonderful. I just learned that they are planning to do a series of movies of the entire series- I REALLY hope they do it right this time. ( )
1 vote aharey | Mar 31, 2016 |
The Newbery-winning fantasy series now available in gorgeous new paperback editions! SinceThe Book of Threewas first published in 1964, young readers have been enthralled by the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and his quest to become a hero. Taran is joined by an engaging cast of characters that includes Eilonwy, the strong-willed and sharp-tongued princess; Fflewddur Fflam, the hyperbole-prone bard; the ever-faithful Gurgi; and the curmudgeonly Doli all of whom have become involved in an epic struggle between good and evil that shapes the fate of the legendary land of Prydain. Released over a period of five years, Lloyd Alexander s beautifully written tales not only captured children s imaginations but also garnered the highest critical praise. The Black Cauldronwas a Newbery Honor Book, and the final volume in the chronicles,The High King, crowned the series by winning the Newbery Medal for the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children. Henry Holt is proud to present this classic series in a new, redesigned paperback format. The jackets feature stunning art by acclaimed fantasy artist David Wyatt, giving the books a fresh look for today s generation of young fantasy lovers. The companion book of short stories,The Foundlingis also available in paperback at this time. In their more than thirty years in print, the Chronicles of Prydain have become the standard of excellence in fantasy literature for children.
Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetic Solutions, Inc.

Sonya Goldman (Children's Literature)
Five enchanting books comprise the "Chronicles of Prydain" by Alexander. Prydain is a land with heroes and legends drawn from Welsh mythology. In TheBlack Cauldron, book 2 of the series, Taran takes further steps toward manhood. He must help destroy the vessel from which the fearsome Cauldron Born warriors spring to march with the evil lord Awren. The companions join with him again on this new adventure. Wondrous magic and a very arrogant young nobleman punctuate this gripping tale. The princess Eilonwy has been growing like a weed. Other books in the Chronicles include The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, The High King and The Book of Three. 1965, Henry Holt and Bantam Doubleday Dell, $16.96 and $4.99. Ages 10 up.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Sonya Goldman

Ness, EvalineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pilhjerta, Ritva-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stead, RebeccaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The following pages are intended, hopefully, to do something more than continue the Chronicles of Prydain. "What happens next?" is always an urgent question, and this volume attempts to answer it, at least partially. Nevertheless, The Black Cauldron should stand as a chronicle in its own right. Certain matters previously hinted at are here revealed more fully; and, while extending the story, I have also tried to deepen it. [from the "Author's Note"]
Autumn had come too swiftly. In the northernmost realms of Prydain many trees were already leafless, and among the branches clung the ragged shapes of empty nests. To the south, across the river Great Avren, the hills shielded Caer Dallben from the winds, but even here the little farm was drawing in on itself. [from chapter 1, "The Council at Caer Dallben"]
Do not combine this with the Disney movie!

In the imaginary land of Prydain, where "evil is never distant," Prince Gwydion faces dangers more threatening that have ever been dreamed of. It has become imperative that the Black Cauldron, chief implement of the evil powers of Arawn, lord of the Land of Death, be destroyed.

For each of the warriors chosen to journey to Arawn's domain, the quest has special meaning. To Ellidyr, the youngest son of an impoverished king, it means a chance to satisfy his bitter longing for fame. For Adaon, beloved for his gentleness and bravery, the quest is an omen whose significance he dreads to discover. And to Taran, Assistant Pig-Keeper, the adventure seems a glorious opportunity to wear his first sword, and be a man among men.

In this story, filled with great sacrifice and great adventure, each warrior fulfills his destiny in ways entirely unforeseen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080508049X, Paperback)

Since The Book of Three was first published in 1964, young readers have been enthralled by the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and his quest to become a hero. Taran is joined by an engaging cast of characters that includes Eilonwy, the strong-willed and sharp-tongued princess; Fflewddur Fflam, the hyperbole-prone bard; the ever-faithful Gurgi; and the curmudgeonly Doli--all of whom have become involved in an epic struggle between good and evil that shapes the fate of the legendary land of Prydain. Released over a period of five years, Lloyd Alexander's beautifully written tales not only captured children's imaginations but also garnered the highest critical praise.

The Black Cauldron was a Newbery Honor Book, and the final volume in the chronicles, The High King, crowned the series by winning the Newbery Medal for "the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."

Henry Holt is proud to present this classic series in a new, redesigned paperback format. The jackets feature stunning art by acclaimed fantasy artist David Wyatt, giving the books a fresh look for today's generation of young fantasy lovers. The companion book of short stories, The Foundling is also available in paperback at this time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

Taran, Assistant Pig-Keeper of Prydain, faces even more dangers as he seeks the magical Black Cauldron, the chief implement of the evil powers of Arawn, lord of the Land of Death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,172,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible