The Teashop Girls by Laura Schaefer

The Teashop Girls

by Laura Schaefer

Fourteen-year-old Annie, along with her two best friends, tries desperately to save her grandmother's beloved, old-fashioned teashop in Madison, Wisconsin, while she also learns to accept the inevitability of change in life. Includes proverbs, quotations, and brief stories about tea, as well as recipes.… (more)

I think the greatest virtue of this book, honestly, is as “organizing events for beginners: a middle school manual.” The girls launch into a meticulously planned, fairly believable teashop-saving campaign.... My kids have a tremendous amount of Save the World energy, but don't always know how to direct it. I'd love to be able to give them more books like this. (Full review at Parenthetical) ( )
  SamMusher | Mar 30, 2013 |
If you are a Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants fan. You will like this story of girl friendship as they move from middle school to high school ( )
  lindamamak | Jul 31, 2011 |
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Annie and her two BFFs, Genna and Zoe, used to hang out at her grandmother's tea shop. Now, with the end of 8th grade drawing near, the friends are pulled in different directions.

Once nicknamed the Teashop girls, each has her own direction. Zoe's focused on tennis. Genna's focused on acting. Annie becomes focused on the shop once again.

She asks her grandmother for a job as a barista. Annie soaks up the atmosphere. She loves her job, especially as she gets to flirt with her cute co-worker.

Before long, she realizes the Steeping Leaf is in trouble - big trouble. Annie's grandmother might be in danger of closing her shop. Annie vows not to let that happen, and attempts to rally her friends and the neighborhood together to save the shop.

Will their efforts be enough to save the Steeping Leaf?

A cute book about three girls trying to save their friendship as they grow older and grow apart. The illustrations and tea quotes and facts add to the book's charm. I can't wait to see where the story goes next. ( )
  GeniusJen | Apr 6, 2011 |
Grade 7
  GayleReid | Jan 31, 2011 |
I loved this book. It was so refreshing. With all the dystopian and vampire stories that are out there (I have read quite a few myself, not dissing nothin‘!), it is nice to have a sweet plot line. I like the writing, because it is set at an age that could come across as very whiny, angst-y and self absorbed. And although she had typical teen stuff to deal with, it never felt that way. It is set at an age where you feel like you can take on the world, and that came across very well.

A thought came up as I was reading. Do groups of 3 friends every really work, in life. My experience is no (at least as teenagers). Inevitably it ends up two against one, and things fall apart. It was nice to see it working here, even if it was a book.

I found the ending a little ideal, but lovely. And you know what? This was the kind of story that it works well for. It was very satisfying in this case.

It also reminded me, once again, how much more kids do, and have to deal with now. School, jobs, activities, family responsibility, and still have time for some down time, maybe even a relationship. I guess we had all those things, but for some reason it seems like so much more now. Hmmm, wonder if it’s the times or an age thing?

Anyhow, I will be recommending this book to people, and will definitely be searching out more by this author in the future. ( )
  krissa | Jan 27, 2010 |
To Karen Meyer and everyone at Imperial Garden restaurant in Middleton, Wisconsin
There's a right way and a wrong way to do many things, and when it comes to tea, my opinion is that one should not mess around.
You know what the thing is about people who are all reasonable and Zen? They can be really annoying.
Sometimes things we care about move away to make space for other things. . . . The universe provides. But not always according to orders.

Laura Schaefer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,809,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible